The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Do you agree with Same-sex marriage?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by simbasdragon
You do realise that there is a very high chance that god doesn't exist right? And yet you're wishing to deny others the right to happiness based on a belief without evidence.

God definitiley exist. I am more sure that God exists than anything else.
Yes of course. I am happy to be in the UK where I can one day be married :smile:
Original post by hoping4Astars

Yes! I agree God exists. Christians need to show their support for other Christians.

Evidence?
Evidence?

Ok this is becoming off topic now.

1) Just look at the world around you. It is so perfectly made that it is impossible to think that it could have been made just out of nothing by no one. Only an intelligent creator could make something so complex and beautiful such as the Earth and its inhabitants.
2) Jesus performed miracles because he was God. No normal human can perform miracles. Only Jesus could.
3) You already know that God exists. You are just denying it because you are so full of pride that you think you do not need to repent of your sins and think that there is no one better than you. Therefore, I didn't even need to waste my time trying to prove that God exists.
I disagree with marriage.
Original post by Coollad1999

1) Just look at the world around you. It is so perfectly made that it is impossible to think that it could have been made just out of nothing by no one. Only an intelligent creator could make something so complex and beautiful such as the Earth and its inhabitants.
2) Jesus performed miracles because he was God. No normal human can perform miracles. Only Jesus could.
3) You already know that God exists. You are just denying it because you are so full of pride that you think you do not need to repent of your sins and think that there is no one better than you. Therefore, I didn't even need to waste my time trying to prove that God exists.

1. Where did you 'intelligent creator' come from?

2. Where's your PROOF Jesus performed miracles?

3. WTF?

1. The world isn't perfectly made. If it was, why would tectonic plates constantly be moving and colliding, causing earthquakes which destroy so many lives? Why are there so many poisenous plants, disease carrying animals? We have evolved to fit the planet. Plants have evolved to harness chlorophyll from sunlight, our skin has adapted to be suited to the glare of sunlight. Evolution by natural selection proves all.

2. Evidence Jesus performed miracles?

3. 'Therefore, I didn't even need to waste my time trying to prove that God exists,' that's awfully convenient isn't it.

You're the one who believes that an all powerful, omniscient being directly created the human race, cultivating and caring for us, despite the fact that we are a tiny dot in the largeness of the universe. Surely you're the one 'full of pride?'

That sounds like something you regurgitated from GCSE RS, I remember learning these for it. Shame someone blew your cover
1. The world isn't perfectly made. If it was, why would tectonic plates constantly be moving and colliding, causing earthquakes which destroy so many lives? Why are there so many poisenous plants, disease carrying animals? We have evolved to fit the planet. Plants have evolved to harness chlorophyll from sunlight, our skin has adapted to be suited to the glare of sunlight. Evolution by natural selection proves all.

2. Evidence Jesus performed miracles?

3. 'Therefore, I didn't even need to waste my time trying to prove that God exists,' that's awfully convenient isn't it.

You're the one who believes that an all powerful, omniscient being directly created the human race, cultivating and caring for us, despite the fact that we are a tiny dot in the largeness of the universe. Surely you're the one 'full of pride?'

1) the world is perfectly made, earthquakes, poisonous plants all have a purpose, otherwise God would not put them there. We just do not know the purpose yet.
2) There are numerous accounts of Jesus performing miracles. The Bible for example.
3) I am not full of pride because I have humbled myself and have realised that there is only one perfect being. This is God, who took on a human form as Jesus to die for our sins so that we will be saved.

2) There are numerous accounts of Jesus performing miracles. The Bible for example.

:colonhash:
Original post by SmallTownGirl
1. Where did you 'intelligent creator' come from?

2. Where's your PROOF Jesus performed miracles?

3. WTF?

http://www.everystudent.com/features/isthere.html

Please see this website. It was designed for students who have not yet been saved. Please look through it carefully and clear any beliefs you have before reading it. I really do hope you chose to follow Christ.
http://www.everystudent.com/features/isthere.html

Please see this website. It was designed for students who have not yet been saved. Please look through it carefully and clear any beliefs you have before reading it. I really do hope you chose to follow Christ.

My only thought is 'Donna Noble has left The Library. Donna Noble has been saved.'
Original post by Synchyst
I don't support homosexual marriages.

Its disgusting, vile and completely out of order. Thats just my opinion.

In a couple of years time it will be okay to have sex with animals.

By any chance, do you go by any of these accounts?
Skeptique/TylerClementi/SpringBreaker
HigherMinion
al_94
thesabbath
something like Allysah_kassar
The_Mighty_Bush
cherry smthing
rue
slade_p

People who are against homosexuality are not hateful of homosexuals. We want to help them. We believe that encouraging them to receive Christ and repent from their sins will help them to refrain from trying to offend God, which will improve their lives. In my opinion, it is much better to help the sinner to remove his problem rather than encouraging the sin by installing laws like gay marriage and civil partnerships.
I think that the people who want gay marriage are actually more hateful since they want the homosexuals to be led into thinking that their sin is acceptable instead of helping them to lead better lives.

Perhaps we don't want to be saved then? Now **** off and stop trying to control us, forcing your agenda down our throats.

Okay, on the premise that God exists, let's work with that.
if he did, that means God is wrong, and God is immoral, and I have surpassed any morality he may have. Why should God be lsitened to, just because he is more powerful than I? Rule out of fear perhaps?

Original post by Nanodae
Yes of course. I am happy to be in the UK where I can one day be married :smile:

:smile:
People who are against homosexuality are not hateful of homosexuals. We want to help them. We believe that encouraging them to receive Christ and repent from their sins will help them to refrain from trying to offend God, which will improve their lives. In my opinion, it is much better to help the sinner to remove his problem rather than encouraging the sin by installing laws like gay marriage and civil partnerships.
I think that the people who want gay marriage are actually more hateful since they want the homosexuals to be led into thinking that their sin is acceptable instead of helping them to lead better lives.

Helping them to lead better lives... better lives than being able to actually spend their lives with and marry someone they love? I'm struggling to see how exactly it's 'helpful' to prevent this.
Marriage is ordained by God. God intended marriage to be between a man and a woman. A man being in a relationship with a man is unnatural and sinful. And I am the one being unreasonable (!)

Even if God existed, you have no way of knowing that is his true opinion on it. You only believe this because it was written in a book some 2,000 years ago, by men. Human, mortal, men. Any claim that their word is the word of God is unsubstantiated.
So yes, you are being unreasonable. And marriage existed long before your religion or your concept of God did. FYI, no religion has ownership or monopoly over marriage, therefore no religion should be able to dictate what should or should not class as marriage.
Original post by Synchyst
I don't support homosexual marriages.

Its disgusting, vile and completely out of order. Thats just my opinion.

In a couple of years time it will be okay to have sex with animals.

Ah, our old friend the old 'slippery slope ' argument makes an appearance. How I've missed thee.
Original post by shadowdweller
I'm not sure the Daily Mail and Wikipedia count as good sources.

I was rushing
I also ref http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/45962.php

"Right, because that's clearly nothing to do with the kind of attitude where people tell them it's a sickness and a disease. And we obviously shouldn't be doing anything to combat such an ignorant attitude.

I dont understand your tone (if they say so; then it is). Tell me what is soooooooo superior about you, that you get to override someones choice to not be gay if they dont want to? and tell them that they are too stupid to know who they should have sex with? [that you know better and you choose homosexuality for them]???

Your cynical response could easily be reversed to argue the opposite viewpoint.
"Right, because that's clearly nothing to do with the kind of attitude where people tell them it's normal and should be embraced. And we obviously shouldn't be doing anything to combat such an ignorant attitude."

So I combat your ignorance - its a sickness if its not chosen but present. Thats called a syndrome. Whether your gay worshiping self accepts it or not.
(edited 8 years ago)
live and let live imo

I'll have a look over that tonight, cheers.

Original post by Skeptique
I dont understand your tone (if they say so; then it is). Tell me what is soooooooo superior about you, that you get to override someones choice to not be gay if they dont want to? and tell them that they are too stupid to know who they should have sex with? [that you know better and you choose homosexuality for them]???

Your cynical response could easily be reversed to argue the opposite viewpoint.
"Right, because that's clearly nothing to do with the kind of attitude where people tell them it's normal and should be embraced. And we obviously shouldn't be doing anything to combat such an ignorant attitude."

So I combat your ignorance - its a sickness if its not chosen but present. Thats called a syndrome. Whether your gay worshiping self accepts it or not.

Well, to give the short answer - it's not a choice. So by absolutely no means am I saying people should 'choose' to be gay if they don't want to be. What I'm saying is those that are gay and unhappy about it, it's extremely probably that a contributing factor to it is the continued comments from people who think that it's wrong and that they have some kind of sickness, as you put it. I've made absolutely no comment on who people should or should not have sex with - indeed my argument here is simply that people who are gay should be free to live their lives without being told that it's in some way wrong to be that way.

It isn't anything to do with that though; telling someone it's okay to be homosexual isn't going to cause them to feel there is something wrong with them, they just might not agree with you. On the other hand, telling someone being gay is a sickness, it's abnormal etc. has a pretty significant chance of making someone feel bad for who they are, if it's repeated often enough. I'd argue that that wasn't cynical in the slightest - it's the same as with pretty much any negative comment or intent; if it's said often enough, or by enough people, the person it's directed at will eventually start to believe it, whether or not it's based in any kind of truth.

Right, expect it isn't a sickness. Being straight isn't chosen, and it's present - so by the same logic, that's a sickness, though? If you can provide actual evidence that it's an illness of some kind, then I'll happily discuss that aspect with you - but thus far what you have given is evidence that it may have a genetic element, which is not the same thing.
(edited 8 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending