The Student Room Group

should i bother sticking with art foundation

hey i originally applied to do an english degree starting this september but i got confused about what i wanted so i asked to defer and they let me
so suddenly i had this year free
and i never did art A level but i did gcse and i got an A* and i do love drawing and making stuff in my spare time so when my neighbour said hey my friend who works at this college says there may be a space for you on the foundation course i was really excited, since during A level id hardly had any time to dedicate myself to creative stuff. id even planned on applying for a foundation course around the time i applied for the english degree but got too overwhelmed and full of doubt. but i went and showed them my work and they liked me and let me in.

so now im there. and im getting to use cool equipment like that for printing, and will start doing life drawing next week which i havent had the opportunity to do before, for better or for worse, i know therell be more opportunities like this to come, and that its amazing that i can get it for free, and have to bear it in mind that it is the only year of my life i can get this for free since im 18. and i was so excited about it before i started.

but now ive just remembered why i didnt take it for A level. because i just dont really like it? i dont like going to art galleries, i dont like being told what to draw and pretend i care about the meaning of other peoples work. i hate pretending what ive made means anything at all! i just draw because i like the look of it. i totally respect that the meaning of art is enjoyable for lots of people but its really not for me.
but i also think im maybe being overly cynical and lazy, since its just a bit of a challenge and im out of practice. normally i work really hard even if somethings hard. i know the teachers are trying to push me by suggesting stuff i wouldnt normally think of, and i dont want to be narrow minded or throw away this opportunity.
and as my family keeps saying, what else am i going to do this year?
they want me to stay, but say to leave if it really makes me unhappy.
but all my friends were so excited for me when i said i have a place on the course and its just confusing me. i feel like im being ungrateful.

but i feel like im someone else. ive never felt so unmotivated about anything and its making me very bad tempered and cynical. ive never been the person obviously not listening while the teachers talking and putting off my homework but ive become that person now and i dont like it.
and most of all, my plan for this year was to get a job part time and have a good hard think about what i want to do with my life. this is totally hindering that plan, since i dont plan on pursuing visual arts at all, and its just using up my time and energy.
i dont want to be a quitter but i dont like how this is making me feel

worth sticking with it a couple more months? am i being melodramatic? its only a couple of days a week (though it seems like so much work)
or should i quit and its just a no brainer? i have made some work i like but they just have a totally different attitude to me - i like illustration-y kind of art and technically good drawing/anatomical studies, they teach us we should draw upside down, with out eyes closed left handed or whatever so long as its interesting, because apparently good traditional art is 'boring'
somebody save me
Original post by EmergencyBagels
somebody save me

If you don't like it that much then quit, but ask yourself several questions first:
What will I do instead?
Will the extra Ucas points be useful when applying elsewhere?
Will I keep on just quitting if I don't like something? It's only for another six months.
Will I be happier doing nothing or doing something?

No one can save you. You have to save yourself, because only you know yourself.
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
If you don't like it that much then quit, but ask yourself several questions first:
What will I do instead?
Will the extra Ucas points be useful when applying elsewhere?
Will I keep on just quitting if I don't like something? It's only for another six months.
Will I be happier doing nothing or doing something?

No one can save you. You have to save yourself, because only you know yourself.

is it a valid answer to the first one to say i just want to do a bit of thinking and a part time job?

eh ill think aabout it
thank you
Original post by EmergencyBagels
is it a valid answer to the first one to say i just want to do a bit of thinking and a part time job?

eh ill think aabout it
thank you

Only you can decide. The important thing is to decide on the basis of considering all the options.

Quick Reply

Latest