The Student Room Group

Should I do physics for A level?

Hi there,
I just wanted to know your opinions of physics A level if you do it- is it really difficult and is there a lot of maths?
Thanks
Original post by leopard923
Hi there,
I just wanted to know your opinions of physics A level if you do it- is it really difficult and is there a lot of maths?
Thanks

Hiya,

I'm in year 12 and have just finished my first half term of physics A level alongside maths (mechanics), further maths and chemistry. I've found that although it requires mathamatical skills lots of it is also based on understanding the theory. I thought the jump from GCSE was going to be 'impossible' but so far I've found it hard but manageable. I think the real differences are the amount of understanding and application required increases as some of the concepts are hard to get your head around at first, the importance of reading around the subject and doing extra independent work and the general work load where it is much easier to fall behind. If you do maths mechanics then there is an overlap between maths and physics which is very useful. I did triple science for GCSE and got an A* in this and in maths which gave me a good grounding as lots of the ideas are just building on GCSE ideas however others who did double science or perhaps got a B in physics GCSE are struggling the most.

If you'd like anymore advice just ask :smile:
Reply 2
Thanks for such a detailed reply :smile:. I'm predicted A* in triple science and maths so hopefully it should be ok if I choose it! By the way, what board do you study because I know some boards have more maths than others. At least the jump between GCSE and A level isn't as big as I thought so thanks for that!
Reply 3
I did OCR A and there was quite a bit of maths but it's all the same type of maths so just rearranging formulas and subbing values in. The jump from GCSE to AS seemed ok but the jump to A2 was a bit bigger. It can be difficult, you need different skills to do well in the exams, so if you're only good at the maths aspect then you'd lose marks on the 'wordy' questions, you just have to find a balance. Don't let the supposed difficulty of it put you off, you should choose subjects you enjoy.
Reply 4
Yes choose it! I'm currently in yr12 and I LOVE IT! I do the AQA A-level spec and I got a double award grade B and maths B. Despite that I find Physics my easiest subject. There wasn't even that much of a jump for me personally as we started off with a easier subject of Quantum Particles. So do ask the Physics teacher which topic they teach first if you are worried about the jump. Though do take a look at the spec to see if it would interest you otherwise you'll hate it.

In terms of the amount of maths, there isn't a whole lot. Just being able to rearrange formulas and basic topics at GCSE. Also NEVER forget your calculator when you have physics.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Alex621
I did OCR A and there was quite a bit of maths but it's all the same type of maths so just rearranging formulas and subbing values in. The jump from GCSE to AS seemed ok but the jump to A2 was a bit bigger. It can be difficult, you need different skills to do well in the exams, so if you're only good at the maths aspect then you'd lose marks on the 'wordy' questions, you just have to find a balance. Don't let the supposed difficulty of it put you off, you should choose subjects you enjoy.

Thanks for your advice- your definitely right that doing something you enjoy is better! I do really like physics so hopefully that will help! I suppose the wordy questions will come with practice! You've made me feel better anyway!
Reply 6
Original post by aamirac
Yes choose it! I'm currently in yr12 and I LOVE IT! I do the AQA A-level spec and I got a double award grade B and maths B. Despite that I find Physics my easiest subject. There wasn't even that much of a jump for me personally as we started off with a easier subject of Quantum Particles. So do ask the Physics teacher which topic they teach first if you are worried about the jump. Though do take a look at the spec to see if it would interest you otherwise you'll hate it.

In terms of the amount of maths, there isn't a whole lot. Just being able to rearrange formulas and basic topics at GCSE. Also NEVER forget your calculator when you have physics.

I'm pretty sure my school's sixth form also does AQA so knowing that you find it easy makes me feel so much better! You just hear people say stuff about these sort of subjects that it has like it ruined their life or whatever... I will take a look at the spec, that's a good idea! Thanks for replying :tongue:
Reply 7
I'm pretty sure my school's sixth form also does AQA so knowing that you find it easy makes me feel so much better! You just hear people say stuff about these sort of subjects that it has like it ruined their life or whatever... I will take a look at the spec, that's a good idea! Thanks for replying :tongue:

Your welcome :h:. If you decide to choose it and need any help feel free to ask me. I'll gladly help again. Yeah you'll find that they only say that because they don't enjoy the subject fully so consider you options wisely. Good luck with your exams this year!
Reply 8
Original post by aamirac
Your welcome :h:. If you decide to choose it and need any help feel free to ask me. I'll gladly help again. Yeah you'll find that they only say that because they don't enjoy the subject fully so consider you options wisely. Good luck with your exams this year!

I'm pretty sure after the responses in here I will go on to choose physics at A level and thank you so much for offering to help! I'll probably need it lool :tongue:. Thanks again and good luck with any exams you have also!
Reply 9
I'm in year 12 and I've been doing OCR A-level spec and honestly, I dread the lessons. I used to absolutely love Physics at GCSE and I got an A overall in my exam. At A-level I'm finding it really difficult and boring, but I think it mostly depends on what teachers you have and how they teach you. The teachers I have are a bit rubbish, they don't explain a lot and rely on us to do all of the work at home. That's just my opinion though, clearly everybody else here really likes it
Original post by w.iki
I'm in year 12 and I've been doing OCR A-level spec and honestly, I dread the lessons. I used to absolutely love Physics at GCSE and I got an A overall in my exam. At A-level I'm finding it really difficult and boring, but I think it mostly depends on what teachers you have and how they teach you. The teachers I have are a bit rubbish, they don't explain a lot and rely on us to do all of the work at home. That's just my opinion though, clearly everybody else here really likes it

Thanks for the reply:smile: it's good to get both sides of what people think! I'll defo think more carefully about doing it now:tongue: I hope it gets better for you anyway!
Thanks for such a detailed reply :smile:. I'm predicted A* in triple science and maths so hopefully it should be ok if I choose it! By the way, what board do you study because I know some boards have more maths than others. At least the jump between GCSE and A level isn't as big as I thought so thanks for that!

No problem, I do AQA :smile:
Original post by VioletPhillippo
No problem, I do AQA :smile:

Oh good that's the same one i'll be doing (if I choose it of course lol) ! By the way, do you think further maths helps you in physics? Thanks again :tongue:
Oh good that's the same one i'll be doing (if I choose it of course lol) ! By the way, do you think further maths helps you in physics? Thanks again :tongue:

Hiya,
I don't think further maths helps directly especially at AS as there isn't loads of over lap however it is very complementary and will be helpful in the way that it covers more efficient methods of working things out and generally brings maths skills up to speed. It would also be useful if you wanted to go into a physics or engineering based career. :smile:
Original post by VioletPhillippo
Hiya,
I don't think further maths helps directly especially at AS as there isn't loads of over lap however it is very complementary and will be helpful in the way that it covers more efficient methods of working things out and generally brings maths skills up to speed. It would also be useful if you wanted to go into a physics or engineering based career. :smile:

I'm thinking of doing engineering so that's good news :tongue:. Thanks for all the help:biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest