Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    So I'll be doing my GCSEs next summer but I took core science early and I got a B.

The problem is I want to go to Oxford to study English when I'm older and usually people have all A's.

In my other subjects I am predicted to get 7 A's and A*'s and one B in maths so altogether that would be 7A*s and a's and 2Bs.

My head of science said its ok but should I be prioritising other subjects? I really don't know what to do pls help. Thanks.

(Original post by Johnnymaughan999)
    So I'll be doing my GCSEs next summer but I took core science early and I got a B.

The problem is I want to go to Oxford to study English when I'm older and usually people have all A's.

In my other subjects I am predicted to get 7 A's and A*'s and one B in maths so altogether that would be 7A*s and a's and 2Bs.

My head of science said its ok but should I be prioritising other subjects? I really don't know what to do pls help. Thanks.
    I wouldn't bother. The comment about people at Oxford having all As isn't true and the subject you wish to study there is not science-based. It might be a problem if you got less than an A in English Language or Literature, but I doubt it will be a problem if it's science.

You're being very vague about how those seven A*/A grades are broken down. That's an important detail for Oxford.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hydeman)
    I wouldn't bother. The comment about people at Oxford having all As isn't true and the subject you wish to study there is not science-based. It might be a problem if you got less than an A in English Language or Literature, but I doubt it will be a problem if it's science.

You're being very vague about how those seven A*/A grades are broken down. That's an important detail for Oxford.

English language - A*
    English lit A*
    Additional science A
    Religious studies A*
    History A*
    Business and economics A
    Design and technology A*

And then a b in maths

(Original post by Johnnymaughan999)
    English language - A*
    English lit A*
    Additional science A
    Religious studies A*
    History A*
    Business and economics A
    Design and technology A*

And then a b in maths
    Those grades are fine -- just do as well as you can and try to bring that maths grade up to an A/A* and you're set, provided you also do well on your A Levels and the entrance test for English at Oxford, the ELAT. You should never aim for specific grades; always aim to do the best you can and let what happens after that happen.

ReputationRep:
    No don't resit, It's fine if you do well in additional Try and achieve the best you can this year in all your subjects and aim high, like the above poster said, avoid setting yourself specific targets and just always try to improve. Never be satisfied with your grades try to improve them

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.