Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I'm about to send of my UCAS in the next couple of days but I've been advised about changing my decisions.
    My AS grades ABBC and for A2 I'm predicted AAA (Maths,Comp,Economics) but for some of the universities I'm applying too the entry requirements are A*AA (Bristol,UCL) for my course (CompSci), is it a waste of time applying to these universities or is it possible for me to get in?
    On a side not, I'd like to consider my PS fairly strong if that makes much of a difference.

Advice would really be appreciated, thanks.

ReputationRep:
    i would apply for the ones you want to go to even if they have high requirements. use that as inspiration to get high grades

ReputationRep:
    As long as you didn't get the C in Comp sci, then you should go for it.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you both for the quick responses, I got the C In Chemistry, an A in Economics and fairly high Bs in the remaining the subjects. I'm just a bit concerned though if they see I'm not predicted their entry requirements would they not imminently reject me?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LiamEl)
    Thank you both for the quick responses, I got the C In Chemistry, an A in Economics and fairly high Bs in the remaining the subjects. I'm just a bit concerned though if they see I'm not predicted their entry requirements would they not imminently reject me?
    it could be a factor but they are only predicted grades so if they think you can get the grades to get in they might offer you a place. your personnel statement will help them make a decision

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I'm about to send of my UCAS in the next couple of days but I've been advised about changing my decisions.
    My AS grades ABBC and for A2 I'm predicted AAA (Maths,Comp,Economics) but for some of the universities I'm applying too the entry requirements are A*AA (Bristol,UCL) for my course (CompSci), is it a waste of time applying to these universities or is it possible for me to get in?
    On a side not, I'd like to consider my PS fairly strong if that makes much of a difference.

What grades did you achieve at GCSE?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tom_mcc)
    What grades did you achieve at GCSE?
    A* Maths
    A Chem/Bio/Geog
    B Phy/French/English Lang/IT
    C RS/English Lit
    Not great, fairly average.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team

Give it a bash mate, but apply to others that match your predicted grades and that are slightly lower than them as well.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Have you checked to see if you're eligible for Bristol's contextual offer? If so, the offer drops to AAA.

Regardless, as long as you ensure you have at least one uni with entry requirements AAB, I'd say go for it. You'd still have your insurance choice, and you know deep inside what you're capable of.

ReputationRep:
    here is the list of schools Bristol are using for their contextual offer. If your school is on it also look into Exeter as they operate a similar scheme. It might also be worth looking into Lancaster as they tend to offer grades similar to your predictions. Kent and Royal Holloway are also good options.
    http://www.bristol.ac.uk/media-libra...hools-2016.pdf

ReputationRep:
    Thank you all for all the help, unfortunately the contextual offer does not apply to my school although I'm still going to apply to both Bristol and UCL and hope for the best, hopefully with my strong personal statement & (if required) being able to expand upon it in an interview they may give me an offer. I was struggling for some choices so there's not much better alternative.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by swanseajack1)
    here is the list of schools Bristol are using for their contextual offer. If your school is on it also look into Exeter as they operate a similar scheme. It might also be worth looking into Lancaster as they tend to offer grades similar to your predictions. Kent and Royal Holloway are also good options.
    http://www.bristol.ac.uk/media-libra...hools-2016.pdf
    My college is on here... that's news to me!
    (do any other universities offer a contextual offer?)
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by emiloujess)
    http://www.southampton.ac.uk/student...dmissions.page

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emiloujess)
    Exeter do but I have not seen their list. I suspect it is the same list as Bristol use. Check with the admissions tutor for further advice. Leeds do but the way they do it is different to Bristol and Exeter

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.