33.33%
    Thatcher (Con) Majority
    60.00%
    Minority
    0%
    Hung Parliament
    6.67%

ReputationRep:
    Simple question. Looking back Wilson was much stronger then Callghan and Foot as a Leader . I reckon an hung parliament would of occured with tory as biggest party due to their anti union stance

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ZZTop1)
    Simple question. Looking back Wilson was much stronger then Callghan and Foot as a Leader . I reckon an hung parliament would of occured with tory as biggest party due to their anti union stance
    Thatcher was voted in by the electorate in order to break the Union strangle hold.

ReputationRep:
    1) some think that callaghan might have actually beaten margaret thatcher if the election wasn't so early, but I doubt it - the mess the country was in at the time would have necessitated a more right wing government
    2) a hung parliament = minority (for anybody)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ZZTop1)
    Wilson would've called an election in 1978 and won.

ReputationRep:
    Would have.

ReputationRep:
    No change. Things got so bad in the 70's that no government would have survived.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    No change. Things got so bad in the 70's that no government would have survived.
    It depends, Wilson was much more shrewd than Callaghan and would most likely have called the election in 1978 when Labour could've won. If the election was at the same time after the massively overexagerated effects of the winter of discontent you are right.

ReputationRep:
    If Callaghan had gone to the country in the autumn of 1978 then he may have had a chance. Considering the slender majority of 3 Labour won with in October 1974, I think the best they could've hoped for in a '78 election was a hung parliament and a coalition with David Steel. It's a bit like if Alec Douglas-Home had gone to the country earlier in 1964, although I believe the Conservatives could've won that election.
    Had Wilson not retired in April 1976, I think Thatcher would still have beaten him in 1979.

ReputationRep:
    What kind of question is this?

Do you mean 'Would Wilson have beaten Thatcher'?

'Would of' doesn't exist, 'would have Wilson' is not the way to order a question, after 'have' you use the past participle of the verb.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Little Toy Gun)
    What kind of question is this?

Do you mean 'Would Wilson have beaten Thatcher'?

'Would of' doesn't exist, 'would have Wilson' is not the way to order a question, after 'have' you use the past participle of the verb.

I'm glad I'm not the only person that was horrified by the grammar of the title.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Life_peer)
    Would have.
    'Would have Wilson beat thatcher?' - still wrong

There just are so many problems with this.

'Would have Wilson beat Thatcher?' - still wrong

'Would Wilson have beat Thatcher?' - still wrong

'Would Wilson have beaten Thatcher?'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dr Pesto)
    I'm glad I'm not the only person that was horrified by the grammar of the title.
    And the question:
    Who would have won:/,/- Wilson or Thatcher?

as well as the OP:
    Simple question. Looking back Wilson was much stronger then Callghan and Foot as a leader. I reckon a hung parliament would have occurred with the Tories as biggest party due to their anti-union stance.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.