Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Thinking about leaving uni watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm a Spanish student who decided to come to England to study, I've been here for a month and a half and I just don't think I can do this any more. People are quite nice to me, but still I don't feel comfortable enough to be my self and I hate my self for that. I'm starting to lose contact with my friends back home, and I'm trying to keep it, but even my best friend will ignore me when she has absolutely nothing to do, and that also makes me hate my self. I think I'm dealing well enough with my lectures and it is the only time I don't think about quitting but this is just 5 hours a week, but my seminars are quite hard as I don't know any one and I don't get to actually talk to people. Everyone is going out having fun and I just stay in my room and almost every day end up crying. And I also miss to much my family and friends, it's been the first time in my life my grandpa has said he misses me. But also I know family would be disappointed with me, my friends too, and I know how influential some of my friends' parents are on them and I know I will defenitley lose some of my best friends for this. I'm sorry to bother you guys with this, but I really don't know what to do and this seems the only place from which I could get some help.
    Thank you and best wishes to everyone!!!

ReputationRep:

I'm not at uni yet so my suggestions may be ridiculous. Sorry in advance if it is. I think the problem here is that you feel alone and isolated. To solve this problem, you'll need to make friends. The best way to do that (i think) is to join societies and become familiar with your flatmates. Start with small talk and eventually it'll build into some friendships.

I guess another problem is that you are homesick and that is effecting your time at uni. Keep in contact with your family and if your friend is ignoring you, then she/he isn't a true friend imo. You made a choice to come to study abroad, now you just have to make yourself proud.

I'm not saying you HAVE to stay in uni but I just don't think you should give up just yet. Hang on tight, believe in yourself, get yourself out there and good luck

ReputationRep:
    What course?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by angelcake123)

I'm not at uni yet so my suggestions may be ridiculous. Sorry in advance if it is. I think the problem here is that you feel alone and isolated. To solve this problem, you'll need to make friends. The best way to do that (i think) is to join societies and become familiar with your flatmates. Start with small talk and eventually it'll build into some friendships.

I guess another problem is that you are homesick and that is effecting your time at uni. Keep in contact with your family and if your friend is ignoring you, then she/he isn't a true friend imo. You made a choice to come to study abroad, now you just have to make yourself proud.

I'm not saying you HAVE to stay in uni but I just don't think you should give up just yet. Hang on tight, believe in yourself, get yourself out there and good luck
    thank you so much, I have a great relationship with my flatmates, but I don't know if to consider them friends or not because I don't know if they consider me a friend. and about socities I tried it out and was a failure, and joined quite a few. once more thank you so much

ReputationRep:
    Law
    (Original post by Pato1)
    What course?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rodri97)
    thank you so much, I have a great relationship with my flatmates, but I don't know if to consider them friends or not because I don't know if they consider me a friend. and about socities I tried it out and was a failure, and joined quite a few. once more thank you so much
    Thats great! Now try to develop the friendship with flatmates you may not be best buddies at first, but if you keep being positive so will they! Okay if societies haven't worked, how about approaching people who you know does the same course as you? Perhaps if you see them in the library, or if you see them on campus. Again may not be the best suggestion but I guess it's something. You're welcome, I hope all work out for you!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Well .. you don't have many classes during week , which makes it even more difficult to get distracted .. maybe join societies , you can get to know people there . I do some volunteering ... work .. I don't know .. try to find other activities to get distracted and meet people . It's hard to get close to people at uni (seminars .. lectures..etc) people usually hang out with their flatmates or people from their accommodation.. if you've got flatmates ... get to know them ..

ReputationRep:
    keep contact with family but not too much, and most of all, stick it out till at least christmas. that gives you a good few months to settle down and get sorted.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.