The Student Room Group

URGENT HELP! Psychology essay

Hi, I've to write an essay (2000) words about sleep, dreams and sleep disorders for the new CfE Higher Psychology (Scotland) and we've been left to figure it out ourselves, so far I have 800 words out of 2000 and I have no idea how to continue writing it.

I'm partially stuck on the cognitive approach and biological approach to sleep.

If anyone could help thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Here are all my notes on sleep (this was AQA 4 years ago, however) but you can use this to structure a longer essay
It's likely you have enough content and need now only to flesh it out, by providing evidence for your conclusions in the form of citations and examples.

Intro: apx 250 words (or 1 page)
- Broad intro sentence; look at how other papers introduce the topic?
- Define key terms; what is sleep, dreams etc. Provide all the definitions you can find (summarised). Let the Reader know which definitions will be used in your paper and why.
- Why is the topic important? Who benefits? (Why should time and money be spent researching this area?)

- Note key debates in the area and or summarise in a sentence each other literature you are going to present later in the paper (such as their aim, sample, method of inquiry and conclusions). Note gaps to date.

- Tell the reader what your critical essay will demonstrate. Then break it down by section; First ....will be discussed. Second ....yadda yadda....Finally a conclusion shall summarise the main points....

Body (apx. 1500words)
Choose 3 main aspects of your topic --> 500 words or two pages per topic
- Remember to define key terms at the start of a paragraph
- Remember to provide citations to support conclusions
- Use relevant citations as examples of your conclusions; let the Reader know about their aim, sample, method, conclusions and gaps.

Concl: apx 250 words
- Remind the Reader what your critical essay demonstrated.
- Summarise the main points of the Body
- Note limitations in the area of study and provide recommendations for future research
- What are the implications of your research?
- Remind the Reader who benefits and why we bother ~:-)

Hope this helps

Original post by WeekendWrecker
Hi, I've to write an essay (2000) words about sleep, dreams and sleep disorders for the new CfE Higher Psychology (Scotland) and we've been left to figure it out ourselves, so far I have 800 words out of 2000 and I have no idea how to continue writing it.

I'm partially stuck on the cognitive approach and biological approach to sleep.

If anyone could help thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thank you! I will keep this in mind, I wrote the essay and got a B so I've done okay.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thank you! I will keep this in mind, I wrote the essay and got a B so I've done okay.

Posted from TSR Mobile

that's a good grade!
Would you mind sending me it so I can learn some tips from yours to help me whenever I get my first essay
Original post by ImNotReallyMe
that's a good grade!
Would you mind sending me it so I can learn some tips from yours to help me whenever I get my first essay

I can't send as it is being sent to the SQA but I can give you tips and the points I used?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I can't send as it is being sent to the SQA but I can give you tips and the points I used?

Posted from TSR Mobile

oh sure that'd be great :smile:

Quick Reply