Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey! I'm a Swede thinking of applying for undergraduate Philosophy at a few unis next year. I just posted in Applications about Swedish grades and entry requirements, feel free to chip in there if you can.

The universities I'm looking at right now are KCL, UCL, Warwick, Edinburgh and Aberdeen. Perhaps you could offer some advice on which of these, or any I haven't mentioned, would fit me best. Admittedly, this selection is also partly based on location and other factors.

I'm very interested in Political and Social Philosophy, but ever so slightly less interested in Ethics. I'm not that into Philosophy of Science or History of Philosophy (unless the latter is a vehicle for Continental Philosophy), while I think I'm somewhere between fairly and strongly interested in Philosophy of Language, Epistemology and Metaphysics. (I'd love to study Whitehead and Process Philosophy!) Logic may not be my greatest strength, but I do like it and would not want to miss out. Lastly, Aesthetics is awesome.

As you can see, I'm fairly broad, but do you recommend (or advise against) any unis in particular for me? As to Continental/Analytic, I definitely enjoy Continental Philosophy, but I'm not sure I'd like a department entirely free from Analytics. Which unis have the best mix of the two branches? Is Process Philosophy taught anywhere at undergraduate level? KCL's Indian modules look cool – are they?

Finally, I've more or less decided against PPE, partly due to the high entry requirements, partly because I fear I wouldn't get enough Philosophy for my tastes. Is that fear unfounded?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Martinpelto)
    Hey! I'm a Swede thinking of applying for undergraduate Philosophy at a few unis next year. I just posted in Applications about Swedish grades and entry requirements, feel free to chip in there if you can.

The universities I'm looking at right now are KCL, UCL, Warwick, Edinburgh and Aberdeen. Perhaps you could offer some advice on which of these, or any I haven't mentioned, would fit me best. Admittedly, this selection is also partly based on location and other factors.

I'm very interested in Political and Social Philosophy, but ever so slightly less interested in Ethics. I'm not that into Philosophy of Science or History of Philosophy (unless the latter is a vehicle for Continental Philosophy), while I think I'm somewhere between fairly and strongly interested in Philosophy of Language, Epistemology and Metaphysics. (I'd love to study Whitehead and Process Philosophy!) Logic may not be my greatest strength, but I do like it and would not want to miss out. Lastly, Aesthetics is awesome.

As you can see, I'm fairly broad, but do you recommend (or advise against) any unis in particular for me? As to Continental/Analytic, I definitely enjoy Continental Philosophy, but I'm not sure I'd like a department entirely free from Analytics. Which unis have the best mix of the two branches? Is Process Philosophy taught anywhere at undergraduate level? KCL's Indian modules look cool – are they?

Finally, I've more or less decided against PPE, partly due to the high entry requirements, partly because I fear I wouldn't get enough Philosophy for my tastes. Is that fear unfounded?
    I went to KCL it is very history based. I did both Indian modules and both were based on this sourcebook. The lecturer is very hands on and teaches in an American style. I would go to each of their department pages because they will have a module page to tell you what they do. Warwick are mostly Continental. UCL has a good political side. With London units you can apply to take a module at another university as well. I think each university has its advantages and disadvantages. I've not heard of process philosophy. I am pretty sure Whitehead at KCL has been scrapped. You can do a dissertation in it though as two lecturers are big on Whitehead at KCL.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Georg Hegel)
    I went to KCL it is very history based. I did both Indian modules and both were based on this sourcebook. The lecturer is very hands on and teaches in an American style. I would go to each of their department pages because they will have a module page to tell you what they do. Warwick are mostly Continental. UCL has a good political side. With London units you can apply to take a module at another university as well. I think each university has its advantages and disadvantages. I've not heard of process philosophy. I am pretty sure Whitehead at KCL has been scrapped. You can do a dissertation in it though as two lecturers are big on Whitehead at KCL.
    Interesting. By 'history based' are you contrasting it with another manner of teaching philosophy? And 'American style', same question there. I have in fact checked out most of these departments' module pages already. Do you have the names of the two lecturers you mention?

ReputationRep:
    Interesting. By 'history based' are you contrasting it with another manner of teaching philosophy? And 'American style', same question there. I have in fact checked out most of these departments' module pages already. Do you have the names of the two lecturers you mention?
    History based just means most of the modules are on philosophers (Descartes, Plato, Kant etc.), than a topic/issue. It's hard to explain American style, it just means the lectures are presented differently. If you put the work in it shouldn't matter. David Papineau and Wilfred Viol-Mayer? something like that, he teaches 1st year logic.

ReputationRep:

Hi Martin!

I'm just wondering if you've considered the New College of the Humanities. I'm currently studying Philosophy with Politics and Economics there.

Our degrees are fairly unique to the UK - they work on the US system of a major and a minor. The module split is 9/3, so you could study Philosophy with politics, or economics, and get a lot of philosophy.
    On top of that, you'd study the core curriculum (which goes towards an NCH diploma, which is an extra qualification outside the degree). This includes modules in Logic and Critical thinking (which IS different to the philosophy degree's logic course) and applied ethics, among others. There's a lot of philosophy, and you can have the breadth of studying philosophy with something else. Also, the logic and critical thinking course is taught by AC Grayling!

A note on the politics minor - the first course is 'Modern Political thought', which takes you through an assortment of important political philosophers, from Hobbes/Locke to Hegel, Marx and so on. You can get a lot of political philosophy out of NCH.

We are located on Bedford Square in London, which is right next to Senate House Library and UCL, SOAS, etc.

Process philosophy is studied here under several of our courses, eg 'Metaphysics', 'Kant to Nietzsche'. Whitehead himself comes up in connection with his co-author Russell.

Our tutorial system would allow you to go further in depth into Whitehead, and to discuss his ideas 1-1 with one of our professors.

It is probably best to look at our website for details of courses, but both continental and analytic philosophy are well represented. The aforementioned 'Kant to Nietzsche' course would take you particularly through Kant, Schopenhauer, Hegel and Nietzsche (amongst others), and one of the first courses you would study would be 'Logic: Formal and Philosophical'.

Our courses won the WhatUni? 2015 'Best courses and lecturers' award, and NCH came 4th in the UK in the 'Best University' award.

We also have visiting lecturers who talk on everything from free will (Daniel Dennett) to the philosophy of music (Christopher Peacocke).

Do take a look at the website: https://www.nchlondon.ac.uk/

Note that, as a private institution, you can apply to us outside of UCAS at any point over the year, giving you an extra option on top of the 5 UCAS choices. (Applying here is free.)

I hope this helped, and please feel free to message me if you have any questions either about NCH, or general philosophy at uni/London life questions.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 29, 2015

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

• create my feed
  • edit my feed
Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.