Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

I'm not sure what I want to do for my degree/career, any advice welcomed. watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi there folks of TSR!

A bit of a background story, I am a 20 year old UK student currently studying a 'Access to HE - Combined Science' course at college. I am planning on applying for university this year, the only problem being that I do not know what degree/university is most suitable for me.

I've had a look at courses available but I really do not have enough knowledge to grasp an understanding as to which ones branch off into careers that will fulfill my aspirations.

My aspirations in terms of career path would ideally be something that involves nature and allows me to travel. Although I understand that not many careers fit this fairy-tale description, I'm looking for any suggestions that are vaguely similar.

As you've probably guessed, I adore nature/environment, travelling and wildlife.

Do you have suggestions for a course/career path that you think is suitable?
    If you have any questions, please ask!
    Thank you very much!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LewisCapper)
    Hi there folks of TSR!

A bit of a background story, I am a 20 year old UK student currently studying a 'Access to HE - Combined Science' course at college. I am planning on applying for university this year, the only problem being that I do not know what degree/university is most suitable for me.

I've had a look at courses available but I really do not have enough knowledge to grasp an understanding as to which ones branch off into careers that will fulfill my aspirations.

My aspirations in terms of career path would ideally be something that involves nature and allows me to travel. Although I understand that not many careers fit this fairy-tale description, I'm looking for any suggestions that are vaguely similar.

As you've probably guessed, I adore nature, travelling and wildlife.

Do you have suggestions for a course/career path that you think is suitable?
    If you have any questions, please ask!
    Thank you very much!
    zoology?

ReputationRep:
    Conservation and breeding?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by driftawaay)
    zoology?
    Would this allow me to pursue a career working in oversea projects?

Please forgive my ignorance, I don't know nearly enough as I should considering i'm applying in the next few months.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by addyaxis)
    Conservation and breeding?
    What course degree would this fall under?

I haven't personally seen courses as such (will keep looking)

How does a course as such differ from something such as zoology or ecology?

Again, please forgive me ignorance, I am still researching.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LewisCapper)
    What course degree would this fall under?

I haven't personally seen courses as such (will keep looking)

How does a course as such differ from something such as zoology or ecology?

Again, please forgive me ignorance, I am still researching.
    I think you should look into other schemes than degrees, such as jobs abroad or placements at a zoo or sanctuary in various countries. Degrees aren't always needed unless you want to do vetinary and medical stuff too.

ReputationRep:
    I think you should do some internships first, talk to the people working in the fields you only have a vague idea of. Ask them, how they go there, what they do, etc. ... otherwise you may end up in a degree not really suiting, what you want. And look in any direction, degrees, apprenticeships, etc.

PS.: Bad joke, I know, but being outside and "travel": the Army.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Featured recruiter profiles:

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.