Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Chemistry C5 - Percentage Composition and Empirical Formula help watch

ReputationRep:
    I've got a few questions and want to confirm if the answers are correct.

Question - Only question 13
    Working out

All the images are attached in POST #4

Sorry guys, if my working out is unclear. I've written up my answers onto a word document and made a slight change in part (c) where I found a mistake in my working out and I've realised that I've changed the answer to something else which is hopefully correct.
    I've only got my answers in this new picture - not the questions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chittesh14)
    I've got a few questions and want to confirm if the answers are correct.

Attachment 471843 = Question = Only question 13
    Attachment 471841 = Working out

Sorry guys, if my working out is unclear. I've written up my answers onto a word document and made a slight change in part (c) where I found a mistake in my working out and I've realised that I've changed the answer to something else which is hopefully correct.
    I've only got my answers in this new picture - not the questions.

Attachment 471851
    I'd like to help, but none of your links seem to work.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pineneedles)
    They work for me and possibly I've uploaded them from the iPad. I'll re-upload them on the computer now if the error doesn't occur -_-.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pineneedles)
    Here you go
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    Here you go
    so you had no. of moles in the order of 3.225, 16.2 and 3.22.
    to find the empirical formula you divide it by 3.22 which is the smallest out of 3.
    so you get: 3.225/3.22=1.00... or 1
    16.2/3.22=5.03... or 5
    3.22/3.22=1
    basically you get decimal numbers and you round those no. because empirical formula is the simplest ratio and written in whole numbers and not in decimal.
    don't think too much and you wrote 3.222 that's wrong because the original ans is 3.2214 and 4 is smaller than 5 so it will be 3.221 not 3.222.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bakastudent)
    to find the empirical formula you divide it by 3.22 which is the smallest out of 3.
    16.2/3.22=5.03... or 5
    3.22/3.22=1
    basically you get decimal numbers and you round those no. because empirical formula is the simplest ratio and written in whole numbers and not in decimal.
    don't think too much and you wrote 3.222 that's wrong because the original ans is 3.2214 and 4 is smaller than 5 so it will be 3.221 not 3.222.
    Sorry, done this at late night lol.
    Anyway, thanks, I was wondering the same thing that since it would give a decimal and not a whole number, I should use a different number - 3.25. But, I've learnt something new :P that you just round it down to a whole number.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bakastudent)
    16.2/3.22=5.03... or 5
    3.22/3.22=1
    I've got a lot more questions to ask later on today, will you be able to help if I post them in like 2 hours :O?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I've got a lot more questions to ask later on today, will you be able to help if I post them in like 2 hours :O?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    if i can, sure.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 27, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.