Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Yup guys you heard it, i cruised by year 11 with little to no work and gained the unfortunate grades of :
    AABBBBCCD
    (The A's being in Maths and Chemistry, and the D being in ICT )

However in yr12 i really sat down and tried my absolute best and gained 5 very good grades of :
    AAAAA

( These A's were in maths which had a 100% avg, chem 92%, physics 93%, biology 98%, further maths 95%) These are all RAW marks not UMS XD (100s in all subjects via UMS).

so as you can see i progressed really well throughout year 12, which allowed me to gain predicted grades of 4 A*. (which i personally believe are likely as i've studied the following during summer : C3 / C4 / M2/ FP2 / FP3 / M3, Physics H158/H558).

Yup you read that right, i studied the whole OCR A2 physics and Edexcel further maths and maths courses during summer school... it wasnt a breeze at all (3hrs a day per subject self study and an private tutor every Monday Wednesday and Friday ). (No chemistry revision done unfortunately :P

Currently taking at A2: Maths, Further maths , Physics and Chemistry

I've sent off applications to Cambridge, UCL, Bath and lastly Exeter for mechanical engineering undergrad courses.

Do you think i'm at an disadvantage especially when it comes to prestigious unis such as Cambridge, UCL and Bath?. I would be over the moon if i were to get an offer from any of these universities I've sent applications to.

Tell me your honest opinion of my chances to get into these schools i've applied for?. Hopefully my GCSE don't hold me back too much that is my major worry.

Lastly, many thanks for taking your time to read and reply

ReputationRep:
    no but you would be if you applied to oxford or imperial because they place some weight on GCSEs

ReputationRep:
    I'd say yes to all and maybe to Cambridge (you'd have higher chances at Oxford)

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    Those GCSE's aren't bad....

I mean, they're not great either, but plenty of people would take that

ReputationRep:
    Ahh, how unfortunate, i've heard that Oxford places a lot of weight on GCSE grades wheras Cambridge seems to focus on UMS scores im not too sure but hopefully i haven't made a critical mistake. many thanks for replying

(Original post by Pungolini)
    I'd say yes to all and maybe to Cambridge (you'd have higher chances at Oxford)

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

ReputationRep:
    exactly why i did not apply to either of those universities .
    (Original post by Raees_Sharif)
    no but you would be if you applied to oxford or imperial because they place some weight on GCSEs

ReputationRep:
    Wow is all I can say. You clearly have developed an amazing work ethic and I would find it hard to believe any university could turn though grades down. Of course, it is important to take into account any extra admissions tests you might have to do, and possible interviews. Though if that all goes well, I think your GCSEs won't matter as much (if at all). Good luck with your choices.

Edit ; oops didn't read properly :P

ReputationRep:
    my GCSE compared with the people i'm competing with for the place in MechE, are undoubtedly crap

(Original post by PetrosAC)
    Those GCSE's aren't bad....

I mean, they're not great either, but plenty of people would take that

ReputationRep:
    Thanks !, i appreciate it a lot , good luck to you too :33

(Original post by h8skoooooool)
    Wow is all I can say. You clearly have developed an amazing work ethic and I would find it hard to believe any university could turn though grades down. Of course, it is important to take into account any extra admissions tests you might have to do, and possible interviews. Though if that all goes well, I think your GCSEs won't matter as much (if at all). Good luck with your choices.

Edit ; oops didn't read properly :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by taway20155)
    my GCSE compared with the people i'm competing with for the place in MechE, are undoubtedly crap
    in my opinion, 5 A grades at AS + poor gcses > 13A*s at GCSE + mediocre AS grades

ReputationRep:
    hopefully the universities see it like that too ahaha

(Original post by Raees_Sharif)
    in my opinion, 5 A grades at AS + poor gcses > 13A*s at GCSE + mediocre AS grades

ReputationRep:
    Swap brains with me pls
    • Welcome Squad

Welcome Squad
    Brilliant!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I got a bit better at GCSE and did fine with RG uni's.

ReputationRep:
    you shouldn't have trouble your academic reference from tutors etc will reflect your GCSE grades were good not great but still not bad and that should help Cambridge may be a struggle (but everyone is in the same boat no matter what their GCSE's were) but you AS/ A2 predicted grades may well mean you get considered. RG unis are well within your reach.

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.