The Student Room Group
Students on campus Nottingham Trent University
Nottingham Trent University
Nottingham
Visit website

Help, my flat mates are making me want to leave uni...

So it all started off great, but then things rapidly went down hill. Within the second week of uni, a lot of my food had gone missing. Things like chicken etc. I ordered 2 pizzas, garlic bread, wedges and coke from domino's with my friend from another flat. I Had 3 slices of my pizza she had 1/2 of hers.. the next day i came back and everything was gone. They even took all the tops of my yoghurt's in the fridge and licked them and left my cheese on the floor.
I addressed all this, one flat mate told me to "get the **** over it".
I then started to hear that flat mate and another 2 flat mates bitching about me (very personal things) often when they think I couldn't hear (all boys), I addressed it calmly but still nothing changed, and I feel on edge when ever I'm around them.

With all this being done, I came home drunk and angry one night and I lashed out and accidentally knocked a glass off the side, the boy who glass it was is angry. I got so ill the day after I couldn't speak and wanted to talk to him in person and apologise, but I couldn't leave my bed for 5 days.

That weekend him and the other two turned nasty. Knowing I was ill they played loud music and ignored me when I asked them to turn it down, called me a "****" constantly knowing I could hear them, they threatened to hammer my door down in their conversation. The threw things at my door all through the night to keep me awake, they shouted "**** you" down the hallway all night. I felt so victimised by those boys I stayed in my room because I was afraid to see them the whole weekend.

I don't know what to do.. help!
Original post by Anom1996
So it all started off great, but then things rapidly went down hill. Within the second week of uni, a lot of my food had gone missing. Things like chicken etc. I ordered 2 pizzas, garlic bread, wedges and coke from domino's with my friend from another flat. I Had 3 slices of my pizza she had 1/2 of hers.. the next day i came back and everything was gone. They even took all the tops of my yoghurt's in the fridge and licked them and left my cheese on the floor.
I then started to hear that flat mate and another 2 flat mates bitching about me (very personal things) often when they think I couldn't hear (all boys), I addressed it calmly but still nothing changed, and I feel on edge when ever I'm around them.

With all this being done, I came home drunk and angry one night and I lashed out and accidentally knocked a glass off the side, the boy who glass it was is angry. I got so ill the day after I couldn't speak and wanted to talk to him in person and apologise, but I couldn't leave my bed for 5 days.

That weekend him and the other two turned nasty. Knowing I was ill they played loud music and ignored me when I asked them to turn it down, called me a "****" constantly knowing I could hear them, they threatened to hammer my door down in their conversation. The threw things at my door all through the night to keep me awake, they shouted "**** you" down the hallway all night. I felt so victimised by those boys I stayed in my room because I was afraid to see them the whole weekend.

Hi Anom1996,

This is not what you need when you have just moved to a new city! Are you in NTU student accommodation or in private halls? If you are in halls I personally recommend you go talk to the Warden/Residence Assistants. I understand you might not want to 'tell on them' but by making them aware of the situation, they can help you and give suggestions on how to deal with this issue. If you are in private halls, is there someone you can talk to? Do you have a supervisor/manager person of some sort who deals with students well-being?

I know it's very hard, but try and keep your cool, because by the sounds of it they are trying to provoke a reaction out of you. Also, is your friend from the other flat aware of this issue? Talking to other people about it will help you vent and stop you from lashing out at them.

So far you sound like you are handling it quite well, but please let me know if it gets any worse or if you need any more advice about this issue.

Thanks,

Ellen
Students on campus Nottingham Trent University
Nottingham Trent University
Nottingham
Visit website
Original post by Anom1996
I then started to hear that flat mate and another 2 flat mates *****ing about me (very personal things) often when they think I couldn't hear (all boys), I addressed it calmly but still nothing changed, and I feel on edge when ever I'm around them.

Make a complaint to the flat owner.
Simple as lol , also gather evidence of all this abuse you're facing.
IF that doesn't work and the manager of the flat or what not isn't helping, move to a different place if you can.
Original post by Anonymous
Make a complaint to the flat owner.
Simple as lol , also gather evidence of all this abuse you're facing.
IF that doesn't work and the manager of the flat or what not isn't helping, move to a different place if you can.

Somewhat useful advice... if you'd said it 5 years ago
Original post by Diplomatic
Somewhat useful advice... if you'd said it 5 years ago

Least I tried to give some advice instead of criticizing others :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending