Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Racist England flags? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    scottish racism regarding football is very wierd indeed.

basically goto any scotland match and all the scally football fans will usually be really friendly to all the opposing fans. Shirt flag swaps etc are not uncommon and there's hardly any violence. Also both fans sometimes both start singing as song which goes something like 'stand up if you hate england.' Infact in the 1998 world cup in france scotland won the award for best supporters.

But if Scotland play england basically the fans start to behave as badly as england fans, possibly even worse.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theoffender)
    Dunno if this has been posted before, but I don't have time to search cos I'm on a revision break! Anyway I dunno if this is happening in your area but it seems like almost every other car has one (or two) of those England flags attatched to the window. I remember hearing on the news or something that there were concerns that these flags could promote racist behaviour and should be banned.

...that's ridiculous!!!

Now I personally don't sport one of these flags on my car. But come on, this is political correctness gone mad!!! Views?
    Im not going to read all the other veiws but i think that flags being racist is so stupid, i mean come on! We are just being supportive of our national team! This should be allowed in any conutry. The fact that people could say such a stupid thing is utterly insane. People are just looking for trouble!

ReputationRep:
    I think they are sending some sort of message personally. 2 years ago I didnt see anyone with england flags on their cars, 2 years later and everyone has them. The BNP/Independance party also got a shitload of votes in the recent elections, coincidence?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by imasillynarb)
    I think they are sending some sort of message personally. 2 years ago I didnt see anyone with england flags on their cars, 2 years later and everyone has them. The BNP/Independance party also got a shitload of votes in the recent elections, coincidence?
    i thought the BNP didnt win anything? they lost a seat and gain a seat

or it could be that there are encouragement for peopel ot fly the flag and gain it backf rom the far right who are using is as a propaganda tool
    • CV Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Speciez99)
    oh good to see a disclaimer there, what do you think isnt british about it? the fact we dont have an empire any more?
    no, the fact that we have people who have given up their lives for this country and for what? Asylum seekers getting free private medical care? We should help ourselves before we look at our international image. The way we treat our OAPs, young people, and those on the breadline is shocking. We need to do more for our people. It has nothing to do with race but the development of our country. But like everything there are good and bad points I suppose.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by imasillynarb)
    To be honest all these flags on cars slightly annoy me. It reminds me of a visit to Italy when I had the misfortune to be walking down Rome's busiest street on 'The Birthday of Italy' - and had to literally run in fear of my life from Neo-nazi Italian fascists, wielding flags. I'm all for a sense of national identity, but to me, the flag of St. George has become almost inextricably linked with thuggish, neo-fascist, blind patriot elements. I wouldn't mind being a flag seller though because the things are bloody everywhere.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    I wish people weren't so fickle about patriotism - it only seems to show it's face when we're in a football tournament or if tim henman's doing ok at wimbledon....st georges day passed this year without anyone displaying flags of any wort that I saw.

I also wish people could find a way to support their country without wasting petrol - a roof rack adds something like 60% to a cars fuel consumption - and that's an UNLOADED roof rack - imagine how much petrol is being wasted by people flying plastic flags.

ReputationRep:
    wtf? patriotism is racism? what a load of PC *******s. there is nothing wrong is showing some pride in being English. the large of enthic minoritys are British citizens themselves. holding up a flag is for all of us not just white people
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by MattG)
    wtf? patriotism is racism? what a load of PC *******s. there is nothing wrong is showing some pride in being English. the large of enthic minoritys are British citizens themselves. holding up a flag is for all of us not just white people
    AFAIK people have only proposed banning them on council owned/licenced vehicles (which is understandable to some extent - just like draping an england flag out of the mayors office would be considered strange in most towns) or for health and saftety reasons - ie if the flags block the drivers view or are a potential danger to pedestrians/cyclists (ie they stick out sideways instead of up).

People just like to use these policy statments by the police and or councils to trot out the old "It's political correctness gone mad!!" and write angry yet strangely vague and rambling letters to the local paper/daily mail. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pencil Queen)
    I wish people weren't so fickle about patriotism - it only seems to show it's face when we're in a football tournament or if tim henman's doing ok at wimbledon....st georges day passed this year without anyone displaying flags of any wort that I saw.

I also wish people could find a way to support their country without wasting petrol - a roof rack adds something like 60% to a cars fuel consumption - and that's an UNLOADED roof rack - imagine how much petrol is being wasted by people flying plastic flags.
    This year a lot of pubs had england flags for ST Geroges, so did the main canteen in my union building. However normaly there isn't much but I think people are getting more patriotic.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    This year a lot of pubs had england flags for ST Geroges, so did the main canteen in my union building. However normaly there isn't much but I think people are getting more patriotic.
    Maybe it's just because I couldn't give a toss about the football (it certainly cut down on server busy messages ) but I'd much rather see patriotism around things like st georges day and the recent d day anniversary than a bunch of overpaid ponces kicking a ball around - personally if being paid a shocking amount of money to play games is the defining english trait I'd rather not be associated with the country.

Personally I've always identified better with the idea of britain and the union flag than I have with england and st georges cross anyway - I always considered england to be down south

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pencil Queen)
    Maybe it's just because I couldn't give a toss about the football (it certainly cut down on server busy messages ) but I'd much rather see patriotism around things like st georges day and the recent d day anniversary than a bunch of overpaid ponces kicking a ball around - personally if being paid a shocking amount of money to play games is the defining english trait I'd rather not be associated with the country.

Personally I've always identified better with the idea of britain and the union flag than I have with england and st georges cross anyway - I always considered england to be down south
    Yeah I don't like Football much either, I just support England mathces, I couldn't give a toss about the local teams. I consider myslef British more than English but like you say England stops at Watford.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    Oldham and Rochdale council banned them on taxis, it lasted a day, the uproar was so bad both councils had to lift the ban.

People are however displaying the flags more to make a politcal point as well as just football. Why can't we be English? I am english and I proud of it, does that make me racist? According the governments policies it does.
    actuallly it was banned on taxis because their not supposed to be advertising anything...n by displaying the flags their supposedly advertising teh Euro stuff.

nuthin to do wiv racism

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~Sam~)
    Exactly. I think patriotism is a good thing. We're not distriminating against other countries, we're just supporting our own
    I can see the issue though, it's not You,I,Tom, **** and Harry that do it to be racist there's always someone out there that will take advantage of the smallest thing to get at the neighbours.

ReputationRep:
    the reason they wanted to ban the flags is because previously they were used by racist groups. but now, its all coming back mainstream, to football fats et al, so i reckon they should unban!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jaq)
    actuallly it was banned on taxis because their not supposed to be advertising anything...n by displaying the flags their supposedly advertising teh Euro stuff.

nuthin to do wiv racism
    They said it was becuase it could cause racial hatred. I will get the link.

ReputationRep:
    Not too long ago there was a news item on the radio from the police saying make sure they are fixed properly so they don't cause danger.

my dad put a flag on our car-personally i dont like them although i wouldnt mind if it was a British Flag because i feel the we should celebrate being British!!! just aslong as it stops at football and doesnt become about being known as england not the united kingdom, independance is a big no no in my opinion.

oh and also i heard something funny about them before-some elderly ladies though that people were supporting england doing well in the European elections....awww bless them

ReputationRep:
    flags should be flying right about now!!!! Time to get back for the second half
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by tiempo)
    flags should be flying right about now!!!! Time to get back for the second half
    Yes off you all go - I could tell it was half time by the server busy messages

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.