The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
If you think about it, the fact that people identify with a particular race/heratige is the basis of all racism in the first place. If there was no way to discriminate the difference between humans (other than physical characteristics) then the world would be a much happier place in my eyes. Im not saying refrain from competitive sport, just the over-the-top support of it - at the end of the day its just 22 guys kicking a ball round a field and a silly chap with bulging eyes getting in the way... The way things are going, football is starting to effect peoples lives (more bad than good) and its effecting policitics and the way people see us as a country. Isn't that just a little bit stupid?

I'll leave you with the words of some not-so-famous musicians...

"Back to the primitive, fuck all your politics"
I don't care if they do say it's promoting racist behaviour. I'm English, I'm proud to be English. I will put up my flag with pride. I'm not being racist. I'm being patriotic, and there's not enough of that in this country anymore. It's a shame that it takes football to make us patriotic tho...
Reply 42
I don't mind football, but I cant help but think it's sad that the english only use their flag for football. People claim it's patriotism, but if thats the case, why isnt the flag displayed year round? I have nothing against real patriotism, I just think that the england flag is more a brand to do with football more than anything patriotic. If the english want to be patriotic, good for them, they always have been less proud of their country than others, I just don't think that sticking a couple of annoying paper flags on a car because the footie's on show a change in how people really feel about their country.
Hope I don't offend anyone :smile:
Reply 43
I prefer the UK flag anyway. I think it looks nicer and shows that England, Wales, Scotland and Northen Ireland are all under one queen and together.
Reply 44
I think the flags should be banned just because they are tacky
Reply 45
I think it's a shame that the England flag only comes out for the football. Would have been nice to see a bit more of the patriotism directed towards D-Day for example.
Reply 46
it is sed to be rascist because the BNP have declared that it is there flag!!! they have also sed that Jerusalem is there hymn and so many places wont let u have it at your wedding! its a joke, we all know these things are in no way affiliated to the BNP and the St. Georges flag in for England not the BNP!
kirstenb
it is sed to be rascist because the BNP have declared that it is there flag!!! they have also sed that Jerusalem is there hymn and so many places wont let u have it at your wedding! its a joke, we all know these things are in no way affiliated to the BNP and the St. Georges flag in for England not the BNP!

I thought that the BNP used the Union Jack mostly. It's plastered all over their website.

As for the England flag being a symbol of racism is the fact that today, saying you're "English" instead of "British" (for example for the census) is seen as a sign of racism. When immigrants arrived in the UK from Nigeria, India, Pakistan, Jamaica... the first thing the public opinion allowed them to be were "British citizens" but they're not English. That's where the difference is made. It takes much longer to be recognized as English than as British.
Reply 48
6 String
i thought the BNP didnt win anything? they lost a seat and gain a seat

yes but the overall number of votes for the BNP was higher.

Latest

Trending

Trending