Turn on thread page Beta

What number do they type in off your provisional when buying alcohol watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey, bought alcohol from bargain booze last night and they checked my if which is a provisional and they typed in a number from it on their computer?? Are they just checking I wasn't underage by typing in my birthday or is it a different number they were looking at? Just wondering thanks

ReputationRep:
    DOB.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alow)
    DOB.
    Thanks does it keep like a record of it or do they just do it to save them having to work out if I'm underage?

ReputationRep:
    Think they keep a record to cover their arses legaly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by natalie987)
    Thanks does it keep like a record of it or do they just do it to save them having to work out if I'm underage?
    No, they were just unable to perform the basic mental maths required to calculate your age from the DOB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by earthworm)
    Think they keep a record to cover their arses legaly.
    How does that in any way 'cover their arses legally'? If they end up selling alcohol to a child, no about of "but look at our records of checking previous people" is going to help them.

ReputationRep:
    If you can't work out the age then you can type the DOB in on the till and it will confirm whether you're 18.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reue)
    How does that in any way 'cover their arses legally'? If they end up selling alcohol to a child, no about of "but look at our records of checking previous people" is going to help them.
    No but they can say,

"thats unfortunate, we have robust policies in place to prevent this from happening, it therefore isnt the compaines fault but that of the minimum wage employee who we will now sack"

It shifts blame from the company to the staff.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by earthworm)
    No but they can say,

"thats unfortunate, we have robust policies in place to prevent this from happening, it therefore isnt the compaines fault but that of the minimum wage employee who we will now sack"

It shifts blame from the company to the staff.
    The blame has always been on the both the company and staff, both get fined.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reue)
    The blame has always been on the both the company and staff, both get fined.
    Not if the licence holder can show 'due diligence'

Poll
Favourite type of bread
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.