Turn on thread page Beta

Is York as good as it used to be for PPE? (Friend got in by clearing) watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Had a friend get onto York Economics (AAA) with ABC, with them just wanting an A in maths after ringing them in clearing.

Had a second friend get onto History (AAA) with ABB, after getting an offer of AAA from them.

For PPE I've applied:
    1. Oxford
    2. Warwick
    3. York= Exeter= Lancaster.

I've obtained 3 As at A2 and would've typically considered York the 3rd best (I know rankings aren't everything). Clearly York are sometimes less selective for History and Economics, any idea whether their PPE course is going the same way or not? I'm aware two people getting in with low grades can't stain a whole course instantly, but stuff like this just makes me question why they ask for AAA if they let guys in with ABC. I noticed for Economics on topuniversities.uk they dropped from 14th to 18th last year.

So any idea how they're doing currently, are they going a little downhill or am I being an idiot?

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Please, don't get obsessed about 'rankings' - it really is a total waste of time, and it is definitely no way to choose a Uni course. So, yes, you are being an idiot!

Neither 'rankings' or 'grades' will tell you anything meaningful about a) if you will enjoy a certain course/subject, b) what classification degree you will get or c) what career you will end up in 3 or 4 years from now.

Employers are not as fixated with 'rankings' as 18 year olds. If you have a 2i or First from York, they are not going to say 'York - didnt that drop two places in the rankings the year before last..... clearly all the grads from there are total rubbish because they let one person in with a C grade 5 years ago.....' etc etc. Get a grip.

If you havn't done so, go to an Open Day at York - or look at the Open Day films on You Tube. Think carefully about the courses they are offering (is the content actually what you want to study for 3 years.... not all PPE courses are exactly the same). And do start thinking in a slightly more adult way than just 'rankings' .......

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by returnmigrant)
    Please, don't get obsessed about 'rankings' - it really is a total waste of time, and it is definitely no way to choose a Uni course. So, yes, you are being an idiot!

Neither 'rankings' or 'grades' will tell you anything meaningful about a) if you will enjoy a certain course/subject, b) what classification degree you will get or c) what career you will end up in 3 or 4 years from now.

Employers are not as fixated with 'rankings' as 18 year olds. If you have a 2i or First from York, they are not going to say 'York - didnt that drop two places in the rankings the year before last..... clearly all the grads from there are total rubbish because they let one person in with a C grade 5 years ago.....' etc etc. Get a grip.

If you havn't done so, go to an Open Day at York - or look at the Open Day films on You Tube. Think carefully about the courses they are offering (is the content actually what you want to study for 3 years.... not all PPE courses are exactly the same). And do start thinking in a slightly more adult way than just 'rankings' .......
    Would it be better going to a Uni where more people are ending up getting first and upper second for my particular course then or going to a better university where students are ending up with worse degrees?? I say this because Northampton is ranked around 80th for my course yet people end up with very good degrees and DMU and Bristol UWE which are 40th-50th, people get worse? I just have no idea, i'm predicted 300 ucas points but don't know which factors I should take into account :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexp98)
    Would it be better going to a Uni where more people are ending up getting first and upper second for my particular course then or going to a better university where students are ending up with worse degrees?? I say this because Northampton is ranked around 80th for my course yet people end up with very good degrees and DMU and Bristol UWE which are 40th-50th, people get worse? I just have no idea, i'm predicted 300 ucas points but don't know which factors I should take into account :/
    What do you mean by 'worse degree' and 'good degree'.

ReputationRep:
    Going into Clearing no longer has a stigma attached to it as it did 5 or so years ago.

The reason for this is that
    A) a fall in the number of 18 year olds in existence
    B) the removal of the student number controls
    C) changes to funding arrangements

Have meant that there is now considerably more supply than demand, so universities that wouldn't have needed to enter Clearing five years ago are now entering en masse. However, some students, parents and teachers haven't noticed the changes in the HE landscape and still think that entering Clearing is the sign of a bad uni / course.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    What do you mean by 'worse degree' and 'good degree'.
    The class of the degree that students finish with, eg. First or upper second ect

ReputationRep:
    The class of the degree that students finish with, eg. First or upper second ect
    At Uni its about the amount of work you do that will determine the classification of degree you get.

Think about it. Under your scheme of things everybody leaving a 'top' Uni would all have a First right? Because in your eyes they are 'better' Unis. And everyone leaving what you regard as a 'lesser; Uni would get a Third.

They don't - because this isnt how it works. Its equally possible to get a 2.2 or a Third from whatever Uni you go to. This is determined by the amount of study effort you put in, rather than the name of the Uni or its position on something as essentially meaningless as 'rankings'.

You really do need to start thinking this one out in a bit more depth.

ReputationRep:
    At Uni its about the amount of work you do that will determine the classification of degree you get.

Think about it. Under your scheme of things everybody leaving a 'top' Uni would all have a First right? Because in your eyes they are 'better' Unis. And everyone leaving what you regard as a 'lesser; Uni would get a Third.

They don't - because this isnt how it works. Its equally possible to get a 2.2 or a Third from whatever Uni you go to. This is determined by the amount of study effort you put in, rather than the name of the Uni or its position on something as essentially meaningless as 'rankings'.

You really do need to start thinking this one out in a bit more depth.
    My point was though that maybe a upper second class at a lower ranked Uni is not as valuable as a lower second class at a higher ranked? Again this is why I was asking, I'm very new to Uni research ect and am starting to put my list of 5 together.

ReputationRep:
    My point was though that maybe a upper second class at a lower ranked Uni is not as valuable as a lower second class at a higher ranked? Again this is why I was asking, I'm very new to Uni research ect and am starting to put my list of 5 together.
    Suggest you read this TSR article - all of it, but especially point 2) about not being blinded by rankings etc.

And then do some independent thinking.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 29, 2015
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.