Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

My girlfriend and I broke up about a month ago. She told me that she isn't in love with me anymore and may never have been in love with me (Our relationship lasted a year and a half or so). We broke up earlier this year then a couple of months later she told me that she realised how much she really loved me. We got back together then 4 months later she told me that she loves me as a friend but not as a boyfriend.

We've been no contact for a month or so but due to us having the same group of friends we saw each other at a group dinner. She messaged me that night telling me that she felt as if I had moved on and that she may have to delete me from Facebook because when she sees that i'm attending certain events she thinks "oh ****, he's going to be with other girls". She then told me that seeing me opened up her wounds all over again and that she missed me as a friend only. Then explained to me that she realised now that she only got back together with me because she mistook her missing me a lot for being in love with me.

We spoke for a while on just what we could do and I ended up telling her that we shouldn't be friends because no matter what; i'm always going to treat her differently because she's somebody i've had an emotional connection to and my main motivator for being friends would only be due to me thinking we could get back together. I suggested we leave it to fate and if it's meant to be then it's meant to be; she agreed. We agreed on going no contact again to be able to both move on.

What is everybody's opinion on this whole matter? I'm moving on or well attempting to move on but i'm still emotionally connected to the girl.

ReputationRep:
    I frustrated after reading first paragraph ? Hats off dear . you did a great job to handle handle such a nonsense girl

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by physicst)
    I frustrated after reading first paragraph ? Hats off dear . you did a great job to handle handle such a nonsense girl
    You don't need to be messed around.

She's adamant that this time she's no longer has feelings for me .. but she was the exact same last time lol .. But I honestly don't think she'll come back this time. Deep down I still want the girl but my head will always tell me not to go back there.

Being told by everybody to just completely cut her off and never go back to her .. probably what i'm going to do TBH. Think I just came on here hoping somebody would tell me that she's going to come back to me lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Being told by everybody to just completely cut her off and never go back to her .. probably what i'm going to do TBH. Think I just came on here hoping somebody would tell me that she's going to come back to me lol.
    I was messed around for a long period of time in the same way you describe. I kept ignoring the fact that I was a complete doormat- in the name of saving the relationship. What I didn't realise was that the relationship was doomed from the start. You don't have to cut her off necessarily though.

ReputationRep:
    As much as I hate to admit it, I'm one of those "nonsense" girls. She's indecisive and she might always be. Do you love that about her? Do you love everything about her? Sometimes I break up with people to test them. I know its manipulative and morally wrong but what better way to learn how much someone loves you? Maybe she will come back. Maybe she won't. Maybe she needs a relationship with you but can't take the pressures that come with it. Be her friend. Love her. People are meant to be cherished. If it's too hard for you, there's no need to put your heart on the line. Just share something warm with her.

(Original post by STARRS)
    I was messed around for a long period of time in the same way you describe. I kept ignoring the fact that I was a complete doormat- in the name of saving the relationship. What I didn't realise was that the relationship was doomed from the start. You don't have to cut her off necessarily though.
    What can I do rather than cut her off? She tells me that she doesn't want to see me because it hurts her more and it hurts me too I guess .. I messaged her a couple of days ago and she was acting cold telling me that it doesn't help the both of us if we talk.

(Original post by Bhansongal98)
    As much as I hate to admit it, I'm one of those "nonsense" girls. She's indecisive and she might always be. Do you love that about her? Do you love everything about her? Sometimes I break up with people to test them. I know its manipulative and morally wrong but what better way to learn how much someone loves you? Maybe she will come back. Maybe she won't. Maybe she needs a relationship with you but can't take the pressures that come with it. Be her friend. Love her. People are meant to be cherished. If it's too hard for you, there's no need to put your heart on the line. Just share something warm with her.
    I love everything about her yes; her indecisiveness is cute but I do admit that it pisses me off from time to time. I waited for her the first time when we broke up, this is the second time now .. I don't want to play games anymore lol. She's told me that she isn't sexually attracted to me. My heart will always be on my sleeve when I spend time with this girl, she brings that out of me. I don't know how to share something warm with her without putting my heart on the line.

Gonna bump this with an update - I thought she had deleted me from snapchat last night so I messaged her asking her. Her response was that she didn't delete me but thought that I had deleted her because she kept checking who had viewed her snapchat story to see if I had viewed it.

She knows a girl I had a thing with was going to be back at my uni for the weekend so she told me that she was going to go to the SU last night (as she thought that this girl and I would both go, she didn't tell me that but it's the only reason as to why she would go, she said the same thing the last time we broke up).

We began to just have random chitchat, she kept trying to get the last word before going to bed. I guess we were just messing around. I'm not taking this any way at all but just wanted an update on what people's opinions are on this whole issue.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 29, 2015
Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.