How do I stop feeling guilty after masturbating?

Watch
Spotted Monkey
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I'm not sure if I'm posting in the right place but I just wanted to know if anyone has had a similar experience or has any advice for me.

I was raised as a Christian (I'm agnostic now) and the closest thing I had to 'The Talk' is my mum warning me to not have sex and get pregnant when I was 10. I've recently realised that I am bisexual but I haven't come out to anyone yet, or had any sort of sexual experience.

My problem is that I always feel guilty after masturbating and it's stopping me from doing it as often as I would like to. The rational part of me understands that it is a natural part of life but my upbringing makes me feel dirty for it.

How have other people dealt with this sort of guilt?
unprinted
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Ignore it or get off on it. Part of me enjoys the fact that my mother wouldn't approve...
Wynters
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Spotted Monkey)
I'm not sure if I'm posting in the right place but I just wanted to know if anyone has had a similar experience or has any advice for me.

I was raised as a Christian (I'm agnostic now) and the closest thing I had to 'The Talk' is my mum warning me to not have sex and get pregnant when I was 10. I've recently realised that I am bisexual but I haven't come out to anyone yet, or had any sort of sexual experience.

My problem is that I always feel guilty after masturbating and it's stopping me from doing it as often as I would like to. The rational part of me understands that it is a natural part of life but my upbringing makes me feel dirty for it.

I feel you man. Just continue jacking off that d*ck, life is full of adventures and why should you suspend yourself from such pleasure just because of a made up hypothesis? You might just be paranoid bro.
ikhan94
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I understand you bro, just do another hobby like exercise or something else, that takes my mind off feeling horny
Spotted Monkey
Rep:
?
I'm a girl btw. And mostly I do just distract myself but i want to become less afraid of my sexuality. Afraid isn't quite what i mean but it's the best word I can think of to describe it right now
Anonymous #1
Report 5 years ago
I feel you! I didnt masturbate until I was 19 because I always felt like it was dirty because of my muslim upbringing. But now i identify as agnostic and bi at 17, i still couldnt get myself to do it. Just take your time. Know it isnt because your upbringing was right, but because as young children we suck up whats being taught to us like sponges and its hard to get rid of that feeling you'd associate with doing something sinful until you've done it a few time and gotten over it. Its like trying to forget how to read. its a hard thing to do if its been indoctrinated in you.
Spotted Monkey
Rep:
?
(Original post by Anonymous)
I feel you! I didnt masturbate until I was 19 because I always felt like it was dirty because of my muslim upbringing. But now i identify as agnostic and bi at 17, i still couldnt get myself to do it. Just take your time. Know it isnt because your upbringing was right, but because as young children we suck up whats being taught to us like sponges and its hard to get rid of that feeling you'd associate with doing something sinful until you've done it a few time and gotten over it. Its like trying to forget how to read. its a hard thing to do if its been indoctrinated in you.
Thank you your response to really helpful! I'll just keep doing it and hopefully the guilt will go away eventually
LatexLover
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
This is totally natural given your upbringing, my gf was brought up a staunch catholic and had very similar issues

there is not really anything you can do apart from allow time and experience to free your mind, you know it's not a sin, and i'm pretty sure you know your not going to burn in hell fire for touching yourself (or anyone else for that matter) but you have years of social conditioning wrapped around these things.

It will take time, but it will also get a whole lot better....

Religion has a lot to answer for
KingPaktorial
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Keep it up bruv, im sure lisa ann is doing you good
ikhan94
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
You stop masturbating....
Anonymous #2
Report 5 years ago
Just remember, that the vast majority of people masturbate so you're really not alone. You're also not alone in feeling guilty about it but honestly, it's completely natural and healthy and a totally private part of your life so never feel like you have to tell anyone or talk about it if you don't feel comfortable doing so.
Unknown7.0
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Why are you an agnostic???
Unknown7.0
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Why are you an agn
Unknown7.0
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Why are you an agnostic. I'm 17 too
Bubbles 12
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Spotted Monkey)

Me two but I
I'm chritian
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you feel if uni students needed to be double vaccinated to start in Autumn?

I'd feel reassured about my own health (11)
16.42%
I'd feel reassured my learning may be less disrupted by isolations/lockdowns (16)
23.88%
I'd feel less anxious about being around large groups (6)
8.96%
I don't mind if others are vaccinated or not (8)
11.94%
I'm concerned it may disadvantage some students (4)
5.97%
I think it's an unfair expectation (20)
29.85%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (2)
2.99%

Watched Threads