Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure if I'm posting in the right place but I just wanted to know if anyone has had a similar experience or has any advice for me.

I was raised as a Christian (I'm agnostic now) and the closest thing I had to 'The Talk' is my mum warning me to not have sex and get pregnant when I was 10. I've recently realised that I am bisexual but I haven't come out to anyone yet, or had any sort of sexual experience.

My problem is that I always feel guilty after masturbating and it's stopping me from doing it as often as I would like to. The rational part of me understands that it is a natural part of life but my upbringing makes me feel dirty for it.

How have other people dealt with this sort of guilt?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Ignore it or get off on it. Part of me enjoys the fact that my mother wouldn't approve...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spotted Monkey)
    I'm not sure if I'm posting in the right place but I just wanted to know if anyone has had a similar experience or has any advice for me.

I was raised as a Christian (I'm agnostic now) and the closest thing I had to 'The Talk' is my mum warning me to not have sex and get pregnant when I was 10. I've recently realised that I am bisexual but I haven't come out to anyone yet, or had any sort of sexual experience.

My problem is that I always feel guilty after masturbating and it's stopping me from doing it as often as I would like to. The rational part of me understands that it is a natural part of life but my upbringing makes me feel dirty for it.

How have other people dealt with this sort of guilt?
    I feel you man. Just continue jacking off that d*ck, life is full of adventures and why should you suspend yourself from such pleasure just because of a made up hypothesis? You might just be paranoid bro.

ReputationRep:
    I understand you bro, just do another hobby like exercise or something else, that takes my mind off feeling horny

ReputationRep:
    I'm a girl btw. And mostly I do just distract myself but i want to become less afraid of my sexuality. Afraid isn't quite what i mean but it's the best word I can think of to describe it right now

I feel you! I didnt masturbate until I was 19 because I always felt like it was dirty because of my muslim upbringing. But now i identify as agnostic and bi at 17, i still couldnt get myself to do it. Just take your time. Know it isnt because your upbringing was right, but because as young children we suck up whats being taught to us like sponges and its hard to get rid of that feeling you'd associate with doing something sinful until you've done it a few time and gotten over it. Its like trying to forget how to read. its a hard thing to do if its been indoctrinated in you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I feel you! I didnt masturbate until I was 19 because I always felt like it was dirty because of my muslim upbringing. But now i identify as agnostic and bi at 17, i still couldnt get myself to do it. Just take your time. Know it isnt because your upbringing was right, but because as young children we suck up whats being taught to us like sponges and its hard to get rid of that feeling you'd associate with doing something sinful until you've done it a few time and gotten over it. Its like trying to forget how to read. its a hard thing to do if its been indoctrinated in you.
    Thank you your response to really helpful! I'll just keep doing it and hopefully the guilt will go away eventually

ReputationRep:
    This is totally natural given your upbringing, my gf was brought up a staunch catholic and had very similar issues

there is not really anything you can do apart from allow time and experience to free your mind, you know it's not a sin, and i'm pretty sure you know your not going to burn in hell fire for touching yourself (or anyone else for that matter) but you have years of social conditioning wrapped around these things.

It will take time, but it will also get a whole lot better....

Religion has a lot to answer for

ReputationRep:
    Keep it up bruv, im sure lisa ann is doing you good

ReputationRep:
    You stop masturbating....

Just remember, that the vast majority of people masturbate so you're really not alone. You're also not alone in feeling guilty about it but honestly, it's completely natural and healthy and a totally private part of your life so never feel like you have to tell anyone or talk about it if you don't feel comfortable doing so.

ReputationRep:
    Why are you an agnostic???

ReputationRep:
    Why are you an agn

ReputationRep:
    Why are you an agnostic. I'm 17 too

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 5, 2017
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.