Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

Wondering if anyone could give any clues as to why my Adductor muscle groups (groin) hurt when squatting, compared to my quads, hamstrings etc which are rested enough to repeat the exercise.

This pain (not sure what kind of pain) starts to occur when in full flow of my 3x5 3 times a week squat programme. I don't do any other leg exercises that could affect it.

My stance consists of my feet pointed out around 30 degrees, knees travelling inline with feet, with overall good form (as far as i know...), squatting ass to grass, with feet shoulder width apart.

Any changes I could make?

[6ft 4' ~176lbs 19 yo]

Thanks
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by _Nathan_)
    Hey,

Wondering if anyone could give any clues as to why my Adductor muscle groups (groin) hurt when squatting, compared to my quads, hamstrings etc which are rested enough to repeat the exercise.

This pain (not sure what kind of pain) starts to occur when in full flow of my 3x5 3 times a week squat programme. I don't do any other leg exercises that could affect it.

My stance consists of my feet pointed out around 30 degrees, knees travelling inline with feet, with overall good form (as far as i know...), squatting ass to grass, with feet shoulder width apart.

Any changes I could make?

[6ft 4' ~176lbs 19 yo]

Thanks
    If you have an adductor injury then try squatting in a closer stance with toes pointed forward until it heals.

ReputationRep:
    Considering it starts halfway through your workout, I don't think it's really an "injury," since if it were you would feel it right away. I think it's the result of poor mechanics, tightness or both and I wouldn't be surprised if it's in your joint rather than your muscle. redbuthotter has a good method for foam rolling the adductors which really helped me when I had the same thing. I think I had the same thing, it's hard to tell because your description is understandably not that clear.

ReputationRep:
    Well if its painful it could be the squat causing injury. In which case try to put less strain on it.

Massage and stretch it when not training.

Do some strengthening both adduction and abduction in the new ranges of motion generated by the stretch/massage.

Sounds simple right.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.