Turn on thread page Beta

Fed Up With Parents Right Now >:( watch

Announcements

Argh.

So, I'm 18. I was never really the social type, so I always used to spend a lot of time at home, and didn't tend to go out in the evening more than once a fortnight.

But now things are changing. I have late-night shifts at Sainsbury's, so I work until 11pm two nights a week and 10pm on the other.

At said job, I met an amazing girl a few weeks back. I fell in love, and now we're spending one or two evenings per week together, just relaxing at her place, watching stuff and playing games (The Last Of Us is killing me btw).

But now my parents, who are obviously not used to me being out so much nowadays, are getting p****d off at my coming home late. If I don't specify an exact time I'm getting home, and then meet that time, they get real mad at me. My Dad even threatened to take away my car (costs are split between me and them), which would be a real pain, since I need it to get to and from work, school, and my girlfriend's place. There aren't even buses that run around my shifts, so they'd have to pick me up.

It's just a pain really. I'm basically being forced to plan every evening to the minute, or else lose my freedom. Which would suck. But none of my friends have to say "I'm going to be back at so-and-so-time" and it just feels really constrictive having to schedule my down-time as such, especially as the nice thing about it is just being able to sit back, relax, and stop worrying...

I guess there isn't really a question here. I just needed to get this off my mind.

</rant>

ReputationRep:
    Also, didn't mean to go anon. It's me. Hiya.

ReputationRep:
    I completely get where you're coming from. Its so frustrating being an adult and still being treated like a child with a curfew. Talk to them about feeling like you're not getting enough freedom and how you're going to call them if you're running late because I'm guilty of not calling and they can get worried (believe it or not). Perhaps try and see it from their point of view, you went from being not so social to social, they just need some time to get used to it

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    If you're 18, I see no reason for them to be acting like that..
    I mean yeah you work late and they have a right to be worried about you, but I'm sure you're responsible enough to know what to do and what not to do..
    Do they know about your girlfriend?
    Have you tried telling them what you just wrote here?
    Maybe, worst case scenario, you try and schedule early times with your girlfriend, as much as that sucks..
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    I think some of it is because you're growing up? In the sense that you're now growing up, you've got a job and a girlfriend and they're not used to it. I think, as said above, you need to talk to them. You can't plan exactly when you're going to home.

Well you are still living with them, and you depend on them...

I think it's fair.

(Original post by TheGreatImposter)
    I completely get where you're coming from. Its so frustrating being an adult and still being treated like a child with a curfew. Talk to them about feeling like you're not getting enough freedom and how you're going to call them if you're running late because I'm guilty of not calling and they can get worried (believe it or not). Perhaps try and see it from their point of view, you went from being not so social to social, they just need some time to get used to it
    Yeah, I think this is probably the main point. I do understand why they're getting upset, and I am definitely not very good at keeping them up-to-date while I'm out. I guess I need to keep better contact and they need to let up a bit (a mutual agreement of sorts).

(Original post by belalbenfadhel)
    If you're 18, I see no reason for them to be acting like that..
    I mean yeah you work late and they have a right to be worried about you, but I'm sure you're responsible enough to know what to do and what not to do..
    Do they know about your girlfriend?
    Yeah, they do.
    Have you tried telling them what you just wrote here?
    Not sure that'd go down too well :/
    Maybe, worst case scenario, you try and schedule early times with your girlfriend, as much as that sucks..
    I guess. But she works 3-11 6 days a week, so it's mainly just Sunday afternoons/evenings at the moment.
    Goes back to scheduling in advance, we'd have to plan her shifts around times to meet up... come to think of it, that isn't a bad idea.

(Original post by OU Student)
    I think some of it is because you're growing up? In the sense that you're now growing up, you've got a job and a girlfriend and they're not used to it. I think, as said above, you need to talk to them. You can't plan exactly when you're going to home.
    Yeah, it's all new to them. As the elder child, and since this all happened so fast, I guess it just needs a bit of time to settle :3
    I'll try talking to them, but I'm not very good with arguments...

(Original post by FridaKahlo)
    Well you are still living with them, and you depend on them...
    I think it's fair.
    K. Thanks.

(ugh, I hate the anon default)

ReputationRep:
    ... ^

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 26, 2015
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.