Turn on thread page Beta

Manchester or Surrey uni? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Manchester is in the Russell Group and has a high international reputation but Surrey has a much higher national reputation and isn't Russell Group. Surrey also has a significantly higher career prospects

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KSIOlajideBT)
    Manchester is in the Russell Group and has a high international reputation but Surrey has a much higher national reputation and isn't Russell Group. Surrey also has a significantly higher career prospects
    They're as good as each other.

The Russel Group accreditation means virtually nothing.

Manchester is likely to have a much better social life as it's in a city.

Honestly, it comes down to what sort of experience you're looking for from university.

If you're more social: Manchester.

If you're more reserved: Surrey.

However, obviously you should look at many more factors!

Good luck

ReputationRep:
    I live right next to Surrey. It's become very good lately, but Guildford is kind of a boring place, and the university buildings arent remarkably fancy or anything. But it's got nice grounds!

I don't know much about Manchester.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure where you got the idea that Surrey has a better reputation than Manchester within the UK - let's just say that it's not a commonly held idea.

Career prospects will vary from course to course - have a look at unistats.ac.uk for the facts.

For what it's worth, I went to Manchester, enjoyed myself and got a good job at the end of it. I'm happy to answer any questions you might have about Manchester

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    hey, so I'm having the same dilemma, considering both Manchester and Surrey. I want a good fulfilling social life and wish to get involved in loads of fun activities volunteering and the like, but at the same time would want to have a very good department that supports and challenges us.

I've heard reviews that Manchester isn't as interesting for the Masters students for engineering and that the lectures don't really care about the students progress.

ReputationRep:
    hello
    i am currently studying at surrey, i am in my second year and it is absolutley great. i have heard manchester is ok but have not been my self

ReputationRep:
    nightlife at surrey is brilliant. more classy than manchester

ReputationRep:
    airing me then

ReputationRep:
    ok dont talk to me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tommy-)
    ok dont talk to me
    lol, it's not like that. Thank you for your answer

Honestly though, do you enjoy the lecturers the study, how much support do they give you?

Also, is there opportunity to get involved in activities that can enhance your CV ect?

Do they hep you find placements

Are the facilities good?

ReputationRep:
    What is the social life in Surrey like honestly? how active are people generally

ReputationRep:
    Visit both and choose the one you will feel at home

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    This is late but how would you know when you said you've never been to manchester before
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Manchester has a better reputation than Surrey both in the UK and abroad.

I am leaning towards Manchester, but if the course that you intend to study has a better rep at Surrey than Manchester, then you should choose Surrey. No need to have an amazing social (which I heard Manchester does have), but with a really rubbish course.

Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    hi! What about surrey's social life and campus experience? has it got good night life?

ReputationRep:
    hi! What about surrey's social life and campus experience? has it got good night life?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by nattferrerr)
    I heard that surrey has an okay social life, but it is a campus in a small town (Guildford).

If you are more of a small campus person then it is fine. Else, Manchester is a better option.
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by nattferrerr)
    Heya nattferrerr, I graduated from Surrey 2 years ago and still live in Guildford as I now work for the uni. I have first hand experience of Guildford nightlife I'll reply to your post on the TSR Community Chat as this thread is quite old.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.