Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Basically have to redo an A Level to get on my PGCE course.
    Currently in my third year of my degree, with a foundation degree completed and some very bad (D grade) a levels that arent in 'national curriculum' and 9 GCES at B/A grade.
    So I have to do something about this to get on my course.
    Im gonna need to do an English A Level, but I really need some help.
    I hate the idea of going back to college to do it, even at a fast track it puts my plans on hold for another year.
    So my options come down to
    A: online course for £400
    B: do the footwork and study myself and pay to sit the exam.
    Is B possible? How do I even find out about it? And can I do that for English?
    Happy to shell out for online course if totally necessary, but obviously gearing myself up to just sit the exam if possible is way better.
    Does any one have experience in this?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Jayne_)
    Basically have to redo an A Level to get on my PGCE course.
    Currently in my third year of my degree, with a foundation degree completed and some very bad (D grade) a levels that arent in 'national curriculum' and 9 GCES at B/A grade.
    So I have to do something about this to get on my course.
    Im gonna need to do an English A Level, but I really need some help.
    I hate the idea of going back to college to do it, even at a fast track it puts my plans on hold for another year.
    So my options come down to
    A: online course for £400
    B: do the footwork and study myself and pay to sit the exam.
    Is B possible? How do I even find out about it? And can I do that for English?
    Happy to shell out for online course if totally necessary, but obviously gearing myself up to just sit the exam if possible is way better.
    Does any one have experience in this?
    Well considering the new A-levels (for most humanities and arts' subjects are 2 years). Since exams haven't started for the full 2 years (AS exams still happen if the college picks that), you won't be able to do a "fast-track" course because the new courses haven't been developed enough to finish early, as no one has actually taken the course yet (as in sit any form of exam for it).

I would say, study yourself and pay to sit the exam. You just literally need a school to enter you as an external candidate and that's it. They will provide materials (most likely) and help you to. It might cost a little extra, but I think it's worth it as English is a subject that perhaps needs face to face. If you don't understand the comment of "clumsy expression" or etc, you could really end up being confused.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 27, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.