Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

PhD CV watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

I'm in the process of writing out my PhD application and the CV has stumped me a little. I've included my degree, classification, independent research experience and individual awards as well as the usual contact details.

Do I include the usual stuff such as non academic work, School/college qualifications? And do I include details of presentations I've given during undergraduate study?

Cheers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThompsonLiam)
    Hi guys,

I'm in the process of writing out my PhD application and the CV has stumped me a little. I've included my degree, classification, independent research experience and individual awards as well as the usual contact details.

Do I include the usual stuff such as non academic work, School/college qualifications? And do I include details of presentations I've given during undergraduate study?

Cheers
    Include anything that you want them to know about you, anything that supports your application, that doesn't fit elsewhere in the application process.

Non-academic work might or might not be relevant, but probably won't do any harm.
    School/college qualifications can probably be kept to a minimum (e.g. 10 GCSEs, 3 A Levels (AAA))
    Presentations are probably worth including but will carry more weight if they are at more high profile or external events.

Think of the whole thing as 'selling yourself in a CV format'

ReputationRep:
    Put in the stuff that is specifically relevant to the PhD. For instance:

Engineering PhD:

- I did some coding for Google blah blah - USEFUL to put into CV
    - I did some some teaching in primary school - Potentially USEFUL
    - I draw in my spare time - NOT USEFUL for this PhD

ReputationRep:
    I put in membership of research bodies/academic societies
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Qualifications from GCSE to most recent, relevant experience and any others from which you've gained relevant transferable skills (but limit this to maybe the last 2 years), conference abstracts, awards, professional body membership

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.