The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Specimen Test 1, Question 9

Warning: this is going to be fairly rigorous, but it's the best I can do, if anybody can suggest how I can formalise/improve my solution, do let me know! :smile:

Spoiler

@DFranklin - any thoughts?

Edit: This reminds me of something... the Lambert W function(?)

Edit2: The last part isn't quite right, see Joostan's solution on page 3. :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by -Gifted-
Thanks a ton, it makes sense to me. However, I used conservation of mechanical energy, but that yielded a different result where the velocity doesn't cancel out. Let me scan it.

Unfortunately energy isn't conserved.
Here it is,

Spoiler

Original post by Renzhi10122
Unfortunately energy isn't conserved.

Why is energy not conserved? I feel like I am missing a main concept here :/
Reply 24
Original post by StrangeBanana
ah, some competition for me, then :P

What made you choose Pembroke? I hear the food's fantastic.

We may see each other at the interviews. ^^ Why King's, if you don't mind me asking? :tongue:

Ah - I swear I've seen you around quite a bit. :tongue:

King's just looked so impressive and spacious, it just gave off this certain feeling of grandeur that I appreciated. :tongue:
Why is energy not conserved? I feel like I am missing a main concept here :/

Because the dust sticks, it's like a coliision between two particles where they stick together.
Original post by StrangeBanana

What made you choose Pembroke? I hear the food's fantastic.

That is pretty much the reason I chose it, I'm not gonna lie :lol:
Reply 27
Because the dust sticks, it's like a coliision between two particles where they stick together.

Non-elastic collision so coefficient of restitution e1e \neq 1 hence energy isn't conserved as kinetic energy is lost.
Thanks a ton, it makes sense to me. However, I used conservation of mechanical energy, but that yielded a different result where the velocity doesn't cancel out. Let me scan it.

You're welcome! :smile: Like Renzhi and Zacken have said, energy isn't conserved; that's only when the collision is perfectly elastic, i.e. the coefficient of restitution is 1.

Original post by Zacken
Ah - I swear I've seen you around quite a bit. :tongue:

King's just looked so impressive and spacious, it just gave off this certain feeling of grandeur that I appreciated. :tongue:

:ninja:

Yeah, same here. That chapel is amazing.

Original post by Jordan\
That is pretty much the reason I chose it, I'm not gonna lie :lol:

It's a good enough a reason as any, to be honest. :tongue:
(edited 8 years ago)

I see, so regardless of whether I take into account of the combined mass when the particles stick together energy is never conserved whenever they combine?
I see, so regardless of whether I take into account of the combined mass when the particles stick together energy is never conserved whenever they combine?

Correct, but momentum always is, thus the approach by strangebanana..
Correct, but momentum always is, thus the approach by strangebanana..

It makes sense now, thank you guys :smile:
Original post by atsruser
You're right. Damn. sin^2 breaks this. Haven't got time to think about it in detail now. I'll delete that post forthwith.
It's not sin^2x that breaks it - it would work fine for xsin2xdx\int x \sin^2x \,dx. It's the x^2 term that fails.

It works for multiplying by x because when you pair x with pi - x and add you get a constant (pi).

But when you pair x^2 with (pi-x)^2 it doesn't work so nicely.
Original post by DFranklin
It's not sin^2x that breaks it - it would work fine for xsin2xdx\int x \sin^2x \,dx. It's the x^2 term that fails.

I meant to write xsin^2x i.e you can't write the integral as xxsin2xdx=xf(sinx)dx\int x \cdot x\sin^2 x dx = \int xf(\sin x) dx which is where my application of the result fails, I think. Not sure I followed your earlier comment re: arcsin BTW.

BTW I stole the (incorrect) approach from this post: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=60163271&postcount=19

I just did the second part of this, and IMHO, it's beautiful - I think you'll like it.

I can't see any easy way to get it though, apart from deriving the identity for x^3 from scratch though, which seems pretty challenging for a STEP candidate.
Original post by Zacken
Specimen Test 1, Question 9

Warning: this is going to be fairly rigorous, but it's the best I can do, if anybody can suggest how I can formalise/improve my solution, do let me know! :smile:

Spoiler

Reply 35
I meant to write xsin^2x i.e you can't write the integral as xxsin2xdx=xf(sinx)dx\int x \cdot x\sin^2 x dx = \int xf(\sin x) dx which is where my application of the result fails, I think. Not sure I followed your earlier comment re: arcsin BTW.

BTW I stole the (incorrect) approach from this post: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=60163271&postcount=19

I just did the second part of this, and IMHO, it's beautiful - I think you'll like it.

I can't see any easy way to get it though, apart from deriving the identity for x^3 from scratch though, which seems pretty challenging for a STEP candidate.

The tried exploiting the fact that it was an even function and the symmetry between sine and cosine, but to no avail - brute forcing it using IBP turned out to be the easiest solution. Unless, there's some kind of reduction formulae by considering In=0π(xsinx)ndxI_n = \int_0^{\pi} (x \sin x)^n \, \mathrm{d}x although I can't see that being any simpler.
Original post by DFranklin
From memory, the x->pi-x trick works (the numerator of the integrand has been chosen carefully by the examiners).

It does - that's how I did it. But is that really expected in STEP without a hint?

I must admit, the form of the numerator didn't tell me much until I was almost finished with x3f(sinx)dx\int x^3 f(\sin x) dx so if they're expecting people to recognise the numerator, *and* see the substitution, I feel that they're angling for the budding von Neumanns only.
Original post by Zacken
The tried exploiting the fact that it was an even function and the symmetry between sine and cosine, but to no avail - brute forcing it using IBP turned out to be the easiest solution. Unless, there's some kind of reduction formulae by considering In=0π(xsinx)ndxI_n = \int_0^{\pi} (x \sin x)^n \, \mathrm{d}x although I can't see that being any simpler.

Yeah, I want to think about the reduction formulae a bit more later. No time now. Haven't done this kind of stuff in detail for years so I'm rusty.

Spoiler

Zacken
My recollection of looking at this was that this question was in a completely different league from the other items on the list and even a half-way rigourous answer was extremely tricky to obtain.

I'm really not sure what they are after on this one.
Reply 39
Yeah, I want to think about the reduction formulae a bit more later. No time now. Haven't done this kind of stuff in detail for years so I'm rusty.

I'll investigate a bit when I get some free time tonight, I haven't covered reduction formulae at all, but it's quite intuitive.

Latest

Trending

Trending