Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Thoughts on the Womens' Equality Party? watch

ReputationRep:
    Some of you may know, there's a brand new political party aiming for total equality in the UK. They are not only trying to make the country better for women (although that is a key part of it) but also for men, people who are BAME, LGBT and basically everyone!

Their policies document can be found here, I'm really interested as a founding member to see what you all think.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Freyjaeve)
    Some of you may know, there's a brand new political party aiming for total equality in the UK. They are not only trying to make the country better for women (although that is a key part of it) but also for men, people who are BAME, LGBT and basically everyone!

Their policies document can be found here, I'm really interested as a founding member to see what you all think.
    There are some inequality issues which I would like to see removed;

A man can work damm hard and get a god job. He can marry a woman. She can then, after a few years, decide to divorce him.

He will lose his house, his children (they often stay with mum)m his very life. Even without kids she will steal years and years of his life's work. Why? This isn't the 1950's. If a women wants a divorce she doesn't need to rely on a her man to look after her. Get off your golddigger arse and work hard like the guy had to.
    (And as for women getting such easy access to kids, that REALLY annoys me. You can't replace them. And to top it all off your get paid a bloody allowance to look after my kids. How about I look after them and I don't pay you an allowance; that should suit your gold digger arse fine.

When it comes to marriage and family law men get royally screwed.

Another thing; a woman can take a few years off her career and have a baby but come back and want equal pay to men. I have a similar idea-I want to be paid the same as people who have more experience than me. Sure they may have spent more years working, but I like the idea that you can spend a year off wearing pyjamas and shopping for clothes and still come back and want parity with your now more experienced and in the loop peers.

I want an end to the idea it is OK for women to hit men. Go in public and hit a man as a woman? Fine. The guy gets beaten up? Laugh at him. So much as break a hair on a woman's head and society goes in to meltdown. Let us talk about the media portrayal, a feminist favourite; when a woman on TV is upset she can slap a guy and its perfectly fine. If a guy did that...oh the backlash would be out of this world. So another area where feminism needs to do one. I bet your link talks about "violence against women" and "the media".

EDIT; Oh look it does on page 4. very early on.

Also; apparently is wrong for male tennis players to get paid more than women. Footballers-all I see on the BBC are them saying they want more money. You know what? I agree. When male models get paid the same as female models THEN we can start moaning about male actors getting paid more than female ones.

I could go on forever, I really could. My view; I want true equality. I hate any movement that calls itself feminist. It is divisive. If I saw a "white-inist" movement I would laugh. I resent "Black History Day". So does Morgan Freeman.

When we start looking at policies from a society as a whole perspective, not just a black/white/male/female view perhaps then we will have equality.

EDIT 2; No your party does not want to make things better for men. In these edits I went through your link and safe to say none of the above in my post is actually solved.

ReputationRep:
    It's a differently intelligent idea, but as feminists made it it's not a surprise

ReputationRep:
    Great to say that you are X party with the intention to further X agenda, but also want to represent Y and Z.

I can't see how this will go wrong.

ReputationRep:
    If you're aiming for total equality then naming yourselves the Women's Equality Party seems rather odd. I recognise that most of the issues surrounding gender are to do with female inequality but they're sending the wrong kind of message out with that name. Why not simply the Equality Party?

ReputationRep:
    I don't understand why someone would pitch a party as fundamentally egalitarian, and then call it the "Women's equality party" which implies feminism. If you focus mainly on women's rights there is an unequal representation of all people's issues. Why would you prioritise women's issues over everybody else's? If a party is truly an egalitarian party, then it won't call itself the Women's equality party for this reason. Therefore, this is probably just another feminist party trying to turn themselves into something that people can actually vote for.

ReputationRep:

Why is it named the Women's equality party then?

ReputationRep:
    The 2 co-founders of the WEeP

ReputationRep:
    And about your policy on the pay gap, if women were actually being paid less for the same work- why don't employers only hire women?

ReputationRep:
    I do wonder if they are just going to be one of many of left wing parties taking away votes from people who'd vote labour?

Also, a party that wants to promote feminism but ignores class privilege is a path to certain failure.

ReputationRep:
    If you're aiming for equality of all, then why call it a women's party?
    Also, there are some valid problems listed such as equal leave but women already have all the rights men do (and sometimes even more, concerning reproduction) and everybody has equal opportunity-these issues no longer need to be addressed. It has been done.

ReputationRep:
    There are lots of sexually frustrated right wing folk on here who are very bitter about the fact women don't like them. This they go on to hate women.

ReputationRep:
    It's called the Women's Equality Party because women are the social group that need the most help in order to become equal. If you're genuinely arguing that men are less privileged you may want to re-think. They aren't just taking votes from Labour as they have an entirely different agenda, I personally left Labour for WEP due to Corbyn being elected leader.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bornblue)
    There are lots of sexually frustrated right wing folk on here who are very bitter about the fact women don't like them. This they go on to hate women.
    this seems to be the case

ReputationRep:
    Women's Equality party - equality for both men and women lmao :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    this seems to be exactly the case
    Of course it is.
    Being right wing is closely linked to being selfish and not caring for others- a very unattractive trait. I've seen countless of right wing young guys who have no success with women and then go on to hate them and act all bitter.

ReputationRep:
    Why does this confuse you all so much.
    It couldn't be equality if it wasn't for men too, then who would women be made equal to? It's in the name people.

ReputationRep:
    Fellow Founding Member here- I think it's a brilliant, and this thread demonstrates EXACTLY why

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Romula)
    Fellow Founding Member here- I think it's a brilliant, and this thread demonstrates EXACTLY why
    Nice to see someone else involved! Exactly, this is what we need to stop!

ReputationRep:
    Nice to see someone else involved! Exactly, this is what we need to stop!
    IKR! I love it when they mention the 1950s- like "listen, babe, you can leave the kitchen, okay? Now STOP WHINING ALREADY!"

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.