Turn on thread page Beta

Has political correctness in Britain gone too far? watch

• Answer Heroes
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Answer Heroes
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by koldtoast)
    My favourite is when they outlawed hot cross buns because the cross might "offend" the Muslim community. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
    Funny though you can still get hot cross buns.

I'm afraid that I'm of the opinion that PC is a very good thing - if a culture or community would prefer to be referred to in a certain way then it's only good manners to respect their wishes.

I also believe that newspapers and the media in general (and of course the geat british public) loves to jump on changes in language and pin them down as "PC gone mad!!!!" when in the majority of cases the name or policy change has little if anything to do with race religion or other minorities (for example blackboard=>chalkboard is an americanisation - not to avoid offending black people, and house spouse isn't a replacement for house wife - it's simply a catch all term for house wife and house husband, and as has been pointed out on the england flag thread the "ban" is only on unsafe flags and flags on publicly owned/licenced vehicles).

There are a few cases of misplaced "do-gooder-ness" like the proposal to remove christian images and language from the public christmas displays in birmingham...although of course considering that those displays are paid for by council tax payers it does make some sort of sense to make them non-religious...I personally don't want my council tax paying towards a bunch of godbothery type displays at christmas.

And of course non-religious "winterval" type greetings have been going on for centuries thanks to the good old "Seasons Greetings" cards/signs.

I seriously worry that this public backlash against good manners and consideration for others will result in abandoning of the PC movement and a legitimatisation of the rascist scum who think phrases like ****** and paki are acceptable.

ReputationRep:
    I read a book of Politically Correct Fairy Tales once... it just highlighted how ridiculous the whole thing is... Snow White couldn't be called Snow White... the dwarves were 'persons of a vertically challenged nature' ... it's all insanity.

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone heard the politically correct version of Ba Ba Black Sheep? I must admit, it was quite funny.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pencil Queen)
    I seriously worry that this public backlash against good manners and consideration for others will result in abandoning of the PC movement and a legitimatisation of the rascist scum who think phrases like ****** and paki are acceptable.
    I have very good manners and I am also very considerate. I think that the views/beliefs/wishes of others should be respected and accepted. I don't think phrases like ****** and paki are acceptable (although it baffles me that some people are 'allowed' to use these). I am not racist scum. And on top of all that I hate political correctness!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amb1)
    I have very good manners and I am also very considerate. I think that the views/beliefs/wishes of others should be respected and accepted. I don't think phrases like ****** and paki are acceptable (although it baffles me that some people are 'allowed' to use these). I am not racist scum. And on top of all that I hate political correctness!
    i think what shes sayin is that often politeness or good manners is taken as political correctness and often made out by some as that way.
    • Answer Heroes
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Answer Heroes
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Amb1)
    I wasn't accusing you of any of those things.

I was saying that a backlash against the principles of PC legitimises those people who haven't got the good manners or respect to treat or refer to other human beings in a manner that those people find inoffensive.

ReputationRep:
    There are an awful lot of PC things that really annoy me such as schools banning kids from wearing england shirts because it might stir up racial tension, or policeman being unable to ask if someones married as they might offend gay (or should this be homosexual?) people and other things of this ilk. I was trying to find an article with one of these ridiculous examples but ended up coming across this http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main...21/nsign21.xml which I completely agree with! :rolleyes: You have to register to be able to see it, but basically channel 4's deaf programme banned some of the traditional signs from BSL
    The abandoned signs include "Jewish", in which a hand mimes a hooked nose; the sign for "gay", a flick of a limp wrist; and "Chinese", in which the index fingertips pull the eyes into a slant. Another dropped sign is that for "Indian", which is a finger pointing to an imaginary spot in the middle of a forehead.
    In this case I completely understand why it's been done as I'm sure people could find these offensive, but there are also plenty of examples of political correctness gone mad.

ReputationRep:
    Hasn't Punch & Judy been banned somewhere recently?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amb1)
    Why because they hit each other? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    "Disk drives may the latest victim of political correctness. According to a memo apparently sent out by the County of Los Angeles, the standard designation used for connecting two disk drives to a single IDE port, which entails setting one drive as a "master" and the second as a "slave" drive, is an example of equipment labelling that may be "construed as offensive or defamatory in nature". !!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by randdom)
    Why because they hit each other? :confused:
    I think so. It encourages children to be violent and hit each other over the head with rolling pins or somethin!!

ReputationRep:
    There are a few cases of misplaced "do-gooder-ness" like the proposal to remove christian images and language from the public christmas displays in birmingham...although of course considering that those displays are paid for by council tax payers it does make some sort of sense to make them non-religious...I personally don't want my council tax paying towards a bunch of godbothery type displays at christmas.

And of course non-religious "winterval" type greetings have been going on for centuries thanks to the good old "Seasons Greetings" cards/signs.

But why change anything when those who are supposed to be offended, that includes me, really aren't offended in any way. Paki and ****** offends me, but why would I be bothered about christian images being used for a christian event in a christian country....I celebrate it at home!!!

Maybe those who do this PC stuff are just trying to be polite but it's not polite to treat the ethnic minorities as complete idiots.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.shartwell.freeserve.co.uk...e/pc-quiz.html

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amb1)
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/s...re/3685337.stm
    And another one from a couple of years ago http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/2208234.stm

lol at the disk drives!!

ReputationRep:
    That is a good site

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by randdom)
    That is a good site
    I like the rants section!!
    • Answer Heroes
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Answer Heroes
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by hattori)
    But why change anything when those who are supposed to be offended, that includes me, really aren't offended in any way. Paki and ****** offends me, but why would I be bothered about christian images being used for a christian event in a christian country....I celebrate it at home!!!

Maybe those who do this PC stuff are just trying to be polite but it's not polite to treat the ethnic minorities as complete idiots.
    True - some things done in the name of PC are just plain daft.

The christmas thing comes down to money - tax payers money shouldn't be spent on any religious event (in theory) as church and state are seperate, and to fund a christian event/celebration but not it's muslim/jewish/hindu equivalent leaves a public body open to accusations of racism (not I'm not saying that they ARE racist but the fear of being branded racist often motivates public bodies to act in a way that is totally out of proportion)

It's also worth remembering that some of these changes in language and policy are actually being initiated by pressure groups who proclaim themselves to speak on behalf of a group of people - if that isn't accurate then I'm afraid it's up to that group of people to take back control of those pressure groups rather than let them continue to promote inaccuracies and lies on their behalf.

ReputationRep:
    True - some things done in the name of PC are just plain daft.

The christmas thing comes down to money - tax payers money shouldn't be spent on any religious event (in theory) as church and state are seperate, and to fund a christian event/celebration but not it's muslim/jewish/hindu equivalent leaves a public body open to accusations of racism (not I'm not saying that they ARE racist but the fear of being branded racist often motivates public bodies to act in a way that is totally out of proportion)

It's also worth remembering that some of these changes in language and policy are actually being initiated by pressure groups who proclaim themselves to speak on behalf of a group of people - if that isn't accurate then I'm afraid it's up to that group of people to take back control of those pressure groups rather than let them continue to promote inaccuracies and lies on their behalf.
    Why not just celebrate loads of religious holidays then? Everybody will be happy surely
    • Answer Heroes
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Answer Heroes
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Amb1)
    "Disk drives may the latest victim of political correctness. According to a memo apparently sent out by the County of Los Angeles, the standard designation used for connecting two disk drives to a single IDE port, which entails setting one drive as a "master" and the second as a "slave" drive, is an example of equipment labelling that may be "construed as offensive or defamatory in nature". !!
    That to me smacks of a pressure group taking things too far.

ReputationRep:
    I've been wondering why the supermarkets and shops close over Christmas, if there are enough people who don't celebrate Christmas why not stay open?

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.