Turn on thread page Beta
    • Thread Starter

    Hey all,

    I decided I will be withdrawing from Coventry university at around the end of November, and apparently I need to find someone else to live in my room? Has anyone done this before?

    I have paid the payment of £2030+£300 deposit already, and the next £2030 payment needs to be in on January… By the Assured Shorthold Tenancy Agreement that I've "signed" online when I booked it, it says:

    "6. SURRENDER If the Landlord accepts a surrender of the tenancy before the expiry of the Contractual Term then the Tenant shall pay to the Landlord the sum of £100 on the day the tenancy is surrendered as a contribution towards the Landlord’s administration costs."

    I've emailed them about leaving and withdrawing and they wrote back to me:

    "You will need to find a tenant to take over your tenancy or you will still be liable to pay the remainder of the rent."

    So how is it after all, anyone know? Can't I just clean out my room, drop off my keys & access card and that £100 or whatever? What is "liable to pay" in this case?


    EDIT: Here's the cancellation policy if anyone wants to look at it: http://coventry.victoriahall.com/files/2015/05/Cancellation-Policy-Coventry-2015-2016.pdf still has the same point about £100.
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.