Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Change my name- Before or after Uni? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I want to change my name [first and second] so that by the time i will be in university (hopefully will be entering in 2016) nobody will know my old one.If I do it during my exams will that make it confusing for the exam board and UCAS? Also will the universities think because I'm changing it that I may not be 'stable'?Or should I do it after i get my offers then just ring up the university explaining to them my name has been changed? But then facing the problem that on registers i will still be refered to as my old names?The government website on how to do it is so confusing, I'd love to hear anyones advice or personal experience with changing their name
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by daniisob)
    I want to change my name [first and second] so that by the time i will be in university (hopefully will be entering in 2016) nobody will know my old one.If I do it during my exams will that make it confusing for the exam board and UCAS? Also will the universities think because I'm changing it that I may not be 'stable'?Or should I do it after i get my offers then just ring up the university explaining to them my name has been changed? But then facing the problem that on registers i will still be refered to as my old names?The government website on how to do it is so confusing, I'd love to hear anyones advice or personal experience with changing their name
    I changed my surname (well added to it so it might not be the same for you) in my As year and all i had to do was show people my deed poll with my gcse certificates (if a university wanted to see them) and put my previous name in the section for it on my ucas form. As your candidate number stays the same it shouldnt cause that much confusion so i can't imagine there being too much of a problem.

I dont think universities will think anything of the sort, anyone can change their name for many reasons so their not going to think much of you changing yours.
    I changed mine by purchasing a pre made deed poll off the internet for £30 something in 2012 (getting an enrolled one so there will be a record held by the government somewhere that your name has been changed is pretty expensive and cant see the benefit in that myself as having a non-enrolled one has never caused me any problems) , used my step dad as a witness then it was a case of calling or writing letters to my school and any companies who have a record of you and then you ll need to buy a new driving license and passport. It can take a few weeks to get everything change but after that you shouldnt have any problems really (your birth certificate wont actually change so you will always have something with your old name on if anyone does ask to prove that any qualifications you already have were yours). I would personally say, change it before you apply as it would be less hassle than changing it in the middle of your ucas process.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    As Claire says above - generally the proof of name change and the original certificate is fine.

However if you're trans and planning to transition prior to university then the exam boards are generally willing to reissue certificates in your new name - although often this will require you to have a GRC (and so have transitioned for 2 years). They don't post their policies publicly so you'll need to contact them direct to find out if they're able to reissue under your new name without a GRC. Also if this is the case then all universities have a higher standard of care as public bodies to maintain your confidentiality - and so if you aren't able to get your certificates reissues prior to starting your course then they will be both discreet and understanding (and the records and/or people who deal with the paperwork will not be the people making a decision in your case).

ReputationRep:
    I have a trans friend who's done the legwork and has a copy of these policies somewhere, if that'd be helpful - but for what it's worth I think most exam boards are pretty good about it. I don't think they were asked for a GRC, though they might've had to pay a small fee.

The other cool thing is that if you went to a single sex school AQA replaces your school name with something generic so you're not outed.

With regards to the mechanics of the name change, don't bother with a deed poll. All you need is a statutory declaration, which is far cheaper. My trans friend was charged a fiver by the solicitor to have it witnessed, and I believe it's illegal to refuse it as proof of name change.

Universities won't think you're unstable - they're generally pretty understanding places, both for anything MH related (so even if you were a bit unstable they're not going to be fazed) and to transition in (eg gender neutral loos are increasingly common and there will be an LGBT soc)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claireestelle)
    I changed my surname (well added to it so it might not be the same for you) in my As year and all i had to do was show people my deed poll with my gcse certificates (if a university wanted to see them) and put my previous name in the section for it on my ucas form. As your candidate number stays the same it shouldnt cause that much confusion so i can't imagine there being too much of a problem.

I dont think universities will think anything of the sort, anyone can change their name for many reasons so their not going to think much of you changing yours.
    I changed mine by purchasing a pre made deed poll off the internet for £30 something in 2012 (getting an enrolled one so there will be a record held by the government somewhere that your name has been changed is pretty expensive and cant see the benefit in that myself as having a non-enrolled one has never caused me any problems) , used my step dad as a witness then it was a case of calling or writing letters to my school and any companies who have a record of you and then you ll need to buy a new driving license and passport. It can take a few weeks to get everything change but after that you shouldnt have any problems really (your birth certificate wont actually change so you will always have something with your old name on if anyone does ask to prove that any qualifications you already have were yours). I would personally say, change it before you apply as it would be less hassle than changing it in the middle of your ucas process.
    Thanks for all the replies I've just started my UCAS applications so I guess it's going to have to go through as my old name then inform whatever university i end up going to about my name change. But how do deed polls work and where would I buy one? Does buying one off the internet make it less official/ trustworthy? If I start changing my name during the process (say early April when I turn 18) can I go by my old name till I reach university?then i have the summer to apply for a new passport and drivers license etc. sorry if im being confusing
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Thanks for all the replies I've just started my UCAS applications so I guess it's going to have to go through as my old name then inform whatever university i end up going to about my name change. But how do deed polls work and where would I buy one? Does buying one off the internet make it less official/ trustworthy? If I start changing my name during the process (say early April when I turn 18) can I go by my old name till I reach university?then i have the summer to apply for a new passport and drivers license etc. sorry if im being confusing
    I m afraid the minute you sign the deed poll you have to stop using your old name completely so you have to change everything asap after that. Never had any trouble with my online deed poll so I wouldn't worry. It should come up in Google I think I used the uk deed poll service.

ReputationRep:
    I'm the trans friend in question, so have been through enough administrative faff to be qualified to assist.

First off, ignore all the scaremongering about it being a difficult process and needing some magic bit of paper. Drafting a statutory declaration really isn't difficult - I used the guidance from the Passport Office here. If you really don't feel comfortable doing it yourself, drop me a PM and I'll send you mine to fill in the blanks.

Anyone who pays for a deed poll from one of these providers has definitely paid over the odds. My stat dec cost £5 to be "sworn" in front of a solicitor, and I got unlimited certified copies with it - just phone a few firms to get a quote, make an appointment and do the whole thing in 20 minutes. Certified copies are extremely important because they're verified by a solicitor as being true copies of the original, so you can safely send them off to banks etc. without the risk associated with posting the one original you have. I got five copies made, but should definitely have asked for more. Twenty would not be excessive at your stage of life.

I'd be happy to go into detail on the trans stuff if this is applicable to you (again, drop me a PM if you'd rather not be out to people on here), but I won't elaborate here because it's fairly niche and likely not applicable otherwise.

Above all, any questions then feel free to ask. :yy:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claireestelle)
    I m afraid the minute you sign the deed poll you have to stop using your old name completely so you have to change everything asap after that. Never had any trouble with my online deed poll so I wouldn't worry. It should come up in Google I think I used the uk deed poll service.
    thanks for clearing that up for me!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by =incognito=)
    I'm the trans friend in question, so have been through enough administrative faff to be qualified to assist.

First off, ignore all the scaremongering about it being a difficult process and needing some magic bit of paper. Drafting a statutory declaration really isn't difficult - I used the guidance from the Passport Office here. If you really don't feel comfortable doing it yourself, drop me a PM and I'll send you mine to fill in the blanks.

Anyone who pays for a deed poll from one of these providers has definitely paid over the odds. My stat dec cost £5 to be "sworn" in front of a solicitor, and I got unlimited certified copies with it - just phone a few firms to get a quote, make an appointment and do the whole thing in 20 minutes. Certified copies are extremely important because they're verified by a solicitor as being true copies of the original, so you can safely send them off to banks etc. without the risk associated with posting the one original you have. I got five copies made, but should definitely have asked for more. Twenty would not be excessive at your stage of life.

I'd be happy to go into detail on the trans stuff if this is applicable to you (again, drop me a PM if you'd rather not be out to people on here), but I won't elaborate here because it's fairly niche and likely not applicable otherwise.

Above all, any questions then feel free to ask. :yy:

this is so helpful, cheers!

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.