Turn on thread page Beta

i dont understand cars insurance why are some cheap and some expensive watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    ok so I tried to get a car insurance quote from tesco for a Volkswagen golf hatchback 1.2l tsi engine and im getting £8400 to insure with them when I try Aviva im getting a quotes of £2600 per an whey is Aviva cheaper than Tesco what's the difference between these two car insurance company's. the car itself costse £8000

ReputationRep:
    insurance companies asses the risk of you claiming and base there premiums on the that also First time drivers have higher premiums because of in experience so are more likely to have an accident, the car also plays a role in the premium too so a slow 1L car will have a lower insurance than say a ferrari…. from the size of your premiums you must be a new driver. I suggest :

1)you take a look at money super market ( other price comparison sites are available)
    2) consider taking additional driving courses like a pass plus ( usually reduce premiums)
    3) Consider a black box tracking device, it allows the insurance company to monitor your driving so if your a good driver it will reflect in your premium
    4) do u actually have that car, if you don't look for a car with a smaller engine, better safety or a lower insurance group ( all of these stats are available on what car and auto trader)

Try adrian Flux or flux direct too there usually good

The variation in price between each insurance company is due to there statistics, and competitiveness and also the size of the company

ReputationRep:
    I don't have the car but if I did I would like to insure with aviva because its cheaper? Need more help please

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ednut)
    ok so I tried to get a car insurance quote from tesco for a Volkswagen golf hatchback 1.2l tsi engine and im getting £8400 to insure with them when I try Aviva im getting a quotes of £2600 per an whey is Aviva cheaper than Tesco what's the difference between these two car insurance company's. the car itself costse £8000
    Each insurer uses a different method for calculating premiums, they all view various factors relating to the driver, vehicle and location differently and place a different level of importance on them.

So in your case the system that Tesco use must view you as a much higher risk than the system that Aviva use.

There's no point stressing over what exactly makes Tesco think that you're such a high risk driver, all you can do is shop around and take the best you can get.

Quotes that high just mean they don't want to do business with you.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.