Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Will humanity split into two species? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Our Ape ancestors did it. For some perspective, We share 99% of our genes with chimpanzees. We are getting towards being able to engineer our own genome, in fact the Chinese are controversially embarking on this right now. I look at the wealth that wealth, power, and a highly analytical(devious?) form of intelligence are seemingly concentrated in the world and the resources, intellectual and financial, that will be available to them in the future. The genes that make up intelligence are probably not a tiny and unsubstantial part of the genome, at least not compared to the 1% difference between us and Chimpanzees. So if the super intelligent keep breeding together, whilst in other regards they have enough genetic diversity to be fit(immune systems, constitution) etc and then even start engineering their own offspring to favour certain genes and permutations of genes, who's to say another species won't break away at some point not so distant?? The pace of change is huge and accelerating and this is before we even get to the scary potential of AI and how it will increasingly be a part of, even embedded in some humans. It's not inconceivable that 1) many humans could be AI controlled, either as a slave species of these other humans that break off to make something more intelligent, or alternatively 2)AI may fuse with humans to form another species, more intelligent than the rest(linked to above post) or 3)AI simply in itself becomes more intelligent than humans and takes them over.

Let me put it more succinctly-
    Whatever of these, is it possible that the species we now know as human , much the same in the not so distant evolutionary future, when faced with AI and/or a section of the species that takes evolution and accelerates it, will become subjugated and a separate species to the top dogs.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think so, it takes an awful lot of time and isolation to split a species, and I'm not that optimistic that we have that long. AI could serve to elevate some humans, but it wouldn't split the species

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vicky628)
    I don't think so, it takes an awful lot of time and isolation to split a species, and I'm not that optimistic that we have that long. AI could serve to elevate some humans, but it wouldn't split the species
    Huh? Optimistic?! Surely by anyone's estimation your prediction coming through is a healthier thing? We are already too divided. I personally would be quite relieved to see genetic engineering fail, even the three people's DNA to an embryo thing.
    It would be a big kick in the teeth to our notion that we are now bigger than everything, and can play God, it would make it look like a pseudo-sophisticated notion, and a conceit , and force us to examine ourselves and connect with far more human priorities whilst accepting how flawed and weak we can be as a species in trying to manipulate the world

ReputationRep:
    I would say this becomes less likely with globalisation.

ReputationRep:
    Of course. Evolution defines it. Ignoring the AI aspect mentioned, humans could be evolving right now...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Duncan2012)
    Of course. Evolution defines it. Ignoring the AI aspect mentioned, humans could be evolving right now...
    Well when do you reckon? 200 years? 1000 years?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SaucissonSecCy)
    Well when do you reckon? 200 years? 1000 years?
    I'm sure there are geneticists/biologists out there who could work out the rate we're evolving at. If I had to guess I'd say it'd be in the order hundreds of thousands or millions of years before you'd be able to recognize a new species. Individual genetic mutations happen randomly and there's nothing to say that you or I aren't one step closer to being a new species from our parents.

I suspect the point is moot however as we'll have used up all the oil / wiped out the planet by climate change / destroyed each other through war long before then.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SaucissonSecCy)
    Our Ape ancestors did it. For some perspective, We share 99% of our genes with chimpanzees. We are getting towards being able to engineer our own genome, in fact the Chinese are controversially embarking on this right now. I look at the wealth that wealth, power, and a highly analytical(devious?) form of intelligence are seemingly concentrated in the world and the resources, intellectual and financial, that will be available to them in the future. The genes that make up intelligence are probably not a tiny and unsubstantial part of the genome, at least not compared to the 1% difference between us and Chimpanzees. So if the super intelligent keep breeding together, whilst in other regards they have enough genetic diversity to be fit(immune systems, constitution) etc and then even start engineering their own offspring to favour certain genes and permutations of genes, who's to say another species won't break away at some point not so distant?? The pace of change is huge and accelerating and this is before we even get to the scary potential of AI and how it will increasingly be a part of, even embedded in some humans. It's not inconceivable that 1) many humans could be AI controlled, either as a slave species of these other humans that break off to make something more intelligent, or alternatively 2)AI may fuse with humans to form another species, more intelligent than the rest(linked to above post) or 3)AI simply in itself becomes more intelligent than humans and takes them over.

Let me put it more succinctly-
    Whatever of these, is it possible that the species we now know as human , much the same in the not so distant evolutionary future, when faced with AI and/or a section of the species that takes evolution and accelerates it, will become subjugated and a separate species to the top dogs.
    Biologically, no.

But synthetically, as you've pointed out, is a certainty. Unless humanity is wiped out, it is inevitable that we will merge with machines. And in such an instance, it will most likely result in a situation where some people remain purely biological, others are partly integrated, and others are fully integrated. Such an eventuality will ultimately result in very blurred lines as to what exactly constitutes a human, but there will be a very clear distinction between the fully integrated and fully biological entities.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.