Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Personal Statement Question! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

I have written my personal statement on Word and it has 3,720 characters with 55 lines, and I have written it with default margins in Verdana 12.

I was wondering if this is to much to fit into a UCAS form?

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Well it is size 12 so probably will fit.

You could copy and paste it into the box on the UCAS application and it will tell you how many lines it uses up

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LucentDoughnut98)
    Hi all,

I have written my personal statement on Word and it has 3,720 characters with 55 lines, and I have written it with default margins in Verdana 12.

Thanks!
    Put it into the box on UCAS. Take out lines between paragraphs.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Word and UCAS often have discrepancies in lines.
    • Welcome Squad

Welcome Squad
    3,700ish is alright, you'll have a few lines left over for spaces between paragraphs (probably 3-4)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LucentDoughnut98)
    Hi all,

Thanks!
    Check by copying and pasting your personal statement into UCAS, but be aware that UCAS and Microsoft Word count characters differently for some reason. So an older draft of my PS, which was a little under 4,000 characters, didn't fit.

If it turns out that you have spare lines, I also recommend leaving line spaces between paragraphs. It's not a necessity, and a lot of people I know didn't do it, but it looks better and you may as well do it rather than just waste lines that you wouldn't otherwise use.

It's worth noting though that your font choice and size is irrelevant - it won't impact Word's counting anyway, plus UCAS removes all formatting (font, size, italics, bold, underline etc.) when you paste it in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ombtom)
    Put it into the box on UCAS. Take out lines between paragraphs.
    1) yes, test it on UCAS

2) there is a lot to be said for making it easier for admissions tutors to read. A wall of text is rarely an attractive proposition.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Origami Bullets)
    there is a lot to be said for making it easier for admissions tutors to read. A wall of text is rarely an attractive proposition.
    True, but relevant content should take precedence over something as superficial as paragraph spacing.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Wiki Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    True, but relevant content should take precedence over something as superficial as paragraph spacing.
    There is rarely a situation where someone's PS cannot be edited to allow blank spaces without sacrificing content

ReputationRep:
    Picture yourself as an admissions tutor. You've spent all (bloody) day reading personal statements, checking grades and making decisions. It's 4pm. You're starting to lose the will to live. Next on the pile is LucentDoughnut98's application. He's written a wall of text that has become hard to read. Do you struggle to read it properly, or do you give it a quick skim, thus missing most or all of the relevant content that has been shoehorned into those formerly blank lines, as well as some of the other content?

Chances are, you're going to skim it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Origami Bullets)
    Picture yourself as an admissions tutor. You've spent all (bloody) day reading personal statements, checking grades and making decisions. It's 4pm. You're starting to lose the will to live. Next on the pile is LucentDoughnut98's application. He's written a wall of text that has become hard to read. Do you struggle to read it properly, or do you give it a quick skim, thus missing most or all of the relevant content that has been shoehorned into those formerly blank lines, as well as some of the other content?

Chances are, you're going to skim it.
    "I rest until I can do my job properly."

I think we're overstating the significance of a few blank lines.

ReputationRep:
    it has to be 47 lines max. Or else i won't fit on UCAS even if you're below 4000 characters.
    I'd say tweak it so it's short and has enough space for paragraphs.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    "I rest until I can do my job properly."

I think we're overstating the significance of a few blank lines.
    That's all well and good in theory but unfortunately Origami Bullets is right. Unis receive thousands of applications and if a student hasn't bothered to make theirs easy to access and read it will annoy an admissions tutor. And this isn't only true for admissions. Readability and accessibility come into play even in things such as dissertations, theses, grant applications etc so don't underestimate their value.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources
Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Find your perfect uni course

Don't know where to apply? Let our uni match maker be your guide

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.