LucentDoughnut98
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi all,

I have written my personal statement on Word and it has 3,720 characters with 55 lines, and I have written it with default margins in Verdana 12.

I was wondering if this is to much to fit into a UCAS form?

Thanks!
preetg97
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Well it is size 12 so probably will fit.

You could copy and paste it into the box on the UCAS application and it will tell you how many lines it uses up
ombtom
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by LucentDoughnut98)
Hi all,

I have written my personal statement on Word and it has 3,720 characters with 55 lines, and I have written it with default margins in Verdana 12.

Thanks!
Put it into the box on UCAS. Take out lines between paragraphs.
Noodlzzz
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Word and UCAS often have discrepancies in lines.
thecatwithnohat
Badges: 20
Report 5 years ago
3,700ish is alright, you'll have a few lines left over for spaces between paragraphs (probably 3-4)
username1230881
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by LucentDoughnut98)
Hi all,

Thanks!
Check by copying and pasting your personal statement into UCAS, but be aware that UCAS and Microsoft Word count characters differently for some reason. So an older draft of my PS, which was a little under 4,000 characters, didn't fit.

If it turns out that you have spare lines, I also recommend leaving line spaces between paragraphs. It's not a necessity, and a lot of people I know didn't do it, but it looks better and you may as well do it rather than just waste lines that you wouldn't otherwise use.

It's worth noting though that your font choice and size is irrelevant - it won't impact Word's counting anyway, plus UCAS removes all formatting (font, size, italics, bold, underline etc.) when you paste it in.
Origami Bullets
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by ombtom)
Put it into the box on UCAS. Take out lines between paragraphs.
1) yes, test it on UCAS

2) there is a lot to be said for making it easier for admissions tutors to read. A wall of text is rarely an attractive proposition.

Posted from TSR Mobile
ombtom
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Origami Bullets)
there is a lot to be said for making it easier for admissions tutors to read. A wall of text is rarely an attractive proposition.
True, but relevant content should take precedence over something as superficial as paragraph spacing.
Interrobang
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
True, but relevant content should take precedence over something as superficial as paragraph spacing.
There is rarely a situation where someone's PS cannot be edited to allow blank spaces without sacrificing content
Origami Bullets
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Picture yourself as an admissions tutor. You've spent all (bloody) day reading personal statements, checking grades and making decisions. It's 4pm. You're starting to lose the will to live. Next on the pile is LucentDoughnut98's application. He's written a wall of text that has become hard to read. Do you struggle to read it properly, or do you give it a quick skim, thus missing most or all of the relevant content that has been shoehorned into those formerly blank lines, as well as some of the other content?

Chances are, you're going to skim it.
ombtom
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Origami Bullets)
Picture yourself as an admissions tutor. You've spent all (bloody) day reading personal statements, checking grades and making decisions. It's 4pm. You're starting to lose the will to live. Next on the pile is LucentDoughnut98's application. He's written a wall of text that has become hard to read. Do you struggle to read it properly, or do you give it a quick skim, thus missing most or all of the relevant content that has been shoehorned into those formerly blank lines, as well as some of the other content?

Chances are, you're going to skim it.
"I rest until I can do my job properly."

I think we're overstating the significance of a few blank lines.
tcameron
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
it has to be 47 lines max. Or else i won't fit on UCAS even if you're below 4000 characters.
I'd say tweak it so it's short and has enough space for paragraphs.
alleycat393
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
"I rest until I can do my job properly."

I think we're overstating the significance of a few blank lines.
That's all well and good in theory but unfortunately Origami Bullets is right. Unis receive thousands of applications and if a student hasn't bothered to make theirs easy to access and read it will annoy an admissions tutor. And this isn't only true for admissions. Readability and accessibility come into play even in things such as dissertations, theses, grant applications etc so don't underestimate their value.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (95)
28.44%
No - I have already returned home (44)
13.17%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (62)
18.56%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (33)
9.88%
No - I live at home during term anyway (100)
29.94%

Watched Threads