Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

NHS costs when not in full time education?? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi

I turned 19 on Friday. I had a dentist appointment today but when I got there they said that now that i'm 19 i have to pay as the treatment is not covered by NHS.
    I finished a-levels in june this year and i am on a gap year and will go to uni in sept 2016. I have braces also. So Do I have to pay for all this treatment?
    Even if my family is low-income etc.

Many Thanks

ReputationRep:
    http://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/Healthc...me-scheme.aspx

You need an HC1 form (I think) to apply for means-tested help - depends how much you actually earn of course - your dentist will have some, or go to this link and order one. Keep any receipts for payments in the meantime as you may be able to get the money back.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by excusethatkid)
    Hi

I turned 19 on Friday. I had a dentist appointment today but when I got there they said that now that i'm 19 i have to pay as the treatment is not covered by NHS.
    I finished a-levels in june this year and i am on a gap year and will go to uni in sept 2016. I have braces also. So Do I have to pay for all this treatment?
    Even if my family is low-income etc.

Many Thanks
    Once 19 you have to pay (regardless of being s student). If on low income you can apply for help with a HC1 form. I believe as your braces treatment started before you turned 19 that it continues to be free for the remainder of the treatment but I would double check with your dentist.

ReputationRep:
    I'm 19 and in my second year of university and I have to pay. Being a full time student unfortunately doesn't make a difference, I'm dreading having to pay next time I go haha

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.