ENGLAND!
Custard
Nooooooooooo ENGALND!!

we ll c wh ois gona win
Reply 31
shushimeng
come on people be
realistic

Henry is just pure genius, he's bound to score atleast once.. although Sol vs. Thierry will be quite interesting!

Positive as ever tho, i reckon England might scrape it.. 2-1, Owen and Beckham.
Reply 32
TK
OP
Some Facts: :biggrin:

Head-to-heads

This is only the second time France and England have met at the European Championship. Their first encounter on 14 June 1992 finished in a goalless draw.
In 1992 France and England were in a group with Sweden and Denmark. Both Scandinavian countries proceeded to the semi-finals whereas England and France were both eliminated. This marked the only group stage exit for France so far.
In competitive matches England have a positive record against France with two wins, two draws and one defeat. Their sole defeat came in a 1964 European Championship qualifying match which France won 5-2.
The last time these two teams met was in a friendly in September 2000. The match ended 1-1 with Michael Owen equalising an from Emmanuel Petit goal.
<LI>Nine of France's Euro 2004 squad played in that match but only five (Campbell, Beckham, Scholes, Dyer and Owen) of the English players that day are also in Portugal.

Track record: England v Group rivals

Player facts - France

Lilian Thuram will play his 100th international against England if he is fielded. In the previous 99 matches Thuram has scored just twice (both goals coming against Croatia in the 1998 World Cup semi-final). Thuram made his debut on 17 August 1994 against the Czech Republic.
Only six players at Euro 2004 have recorded 100 caps or more. French defender Marcel Desailly is the most capped player at Euro 2004 with 115 caps (three goals).
Thuram is the third Frenchman to reach the century mark behind Desailly (115) and Didier Deschamps (103).
Desailly has played 11 European Championship matches so far. If he takes the field against England he will be one match away from the record.
<LI>Seven players share the all-time record of 13 European Championship matches. Jürgen Klinsmann was the first to reach this total in 1996, followed by Dennis Bergkamp, Laurent Blanc, Didier Deschamps, Thomas Hässler, Paolo Maldini and Peter Schmeichel in 2000.

Zinedine Zidane is two goals short of totalling a quarter of a century for France. So far Zidane has scored 23 times in 89 matches.
David Trézéguet has scored most goals for France in their current squad: 28 goals in 51 matches.
<LI>If he nets two more he will move into joint second place in the French all-time top scorers list which is topped by Michel Platini with 41 goals. He would share that spot with Just Fontaine and Jean-Pierre Papin.

Player facts - England

David Beckham is the most capped player in the English squad: 68 caps 13 goals.
Darius Vassell will celebrate his 25th birthday on the day of the match (13 June).
Michael Owen has scored by far the most goals from the current England squad (25 goals). David Beckham and Paul Scholes are the next best with 13 goals each.
Michael Owen needs one more goal to enter the top ten scorers list for England, equalling the total scored by Bryan Robson (26). Bobby Charlton leads England's top scorers list with 49 goals.
England have only been on the losing side on one occasion when Steven Gerrard has started. This was the 1-0 defeat in Sweden in March this year.
<LI>Wayne Rooney could smash the competition record for youngest goalscorer if he nets against France. On Sunday, the Everton youth will be 18 years, 7 months and 20 days old. The record was set by Yugoslavia's Dragan Stojkovic who was 19 years, three months and 16 days old when he struck against France on 19 June 1984.

Team facts - France

France are two-time winners (1984 and 2000), and reached the semi-finals on two other occasions (1960 and 1996).
France have not lost their opening match at a European Championship since the very first match in the tournament - that was in 1960 when they lost 5-4 to Yugoslavia, still the highest scoring match in the European Championship.
No nation has ever successfully defended their European Championship title.
The reigning champions have started their title defence with a victory only once in the last five European Championships. Holland was that successful nation in 1992.
The French Euro 2004 squad contains more players from the Premiership (nine) than the French Division One (eight).
The French squad contains five outfield players who are yet to score their first international goal: William Gallas, Jérôme Rothen, Benoit Pedretti, Willy Sagnol and Claude Makélélé.
The French Euro 2004 squad contains 10 players who were also in the Euro 2000 winning squad.
<LI>France were the last host nation to win the European Championship.

Team facts - England

England's best result at an European Championship final round is third place in 1968 and reaching the semi-finals in 1996.
England failed to proceed from the Group phase on all other occasions when they have participated (1980, 1988, 1992 and 2000).
England have never successfully negotiated a group phase at a European Championship outside England.
England have never won their opening match in the European Championship.
This match could see 24 club team mates play each other. The England and France squad combined hold seven Chelsea players, six Arsenal and Manchester United players, three Bayern Munich team mates and two Real Madrid players. No other Euro 2004 match features so many club team mates.
<LI>No country has ever won the World Cup or European Championship with a foreign manager.

Miscellaneous stats

France are currently on a streak of 11 matches without conceding a goal. Their last match without a clean sheet was on 26 June 2003 when Turkey scored twice against Les Bleus in the Confederations Cup.
In the 1970's Italy recorded 12 clean sheets on their way to the 1974 World Cup. This streak was ended by Haiti when Emmanuel Sanon opened the scoring against Italy on their first group match in the 1974 World Cup.
England have recorded no clean sheet so far in 2004. They have conceded one goal in each match played this year.
France have been unbeaten in competitive matches for the last two years. Their last defeat in a competitive match dates back to 11 June 2002 when Denmark beat them 2-0 at the 2002 FIFA World Cup.
Both France and England proved unbeatable in qualifying. France have even gained maximum points from their qualifying campaign. They were the only nation of the 50 involved in qualifying not to drop a point.
The referee of this match is Germany's Markus Merk, who was also present at Euro 2000, in which he was in charge of three matches including the Holland v Italy semi-final. Another pinnacle in his career was the 2002/2003 Champions League final.
This season, Merk set a new Bundesliga record for most appearances by a referee (244) in German top flight matches, improving the record held by Hellmut Krug.
Reply 33
You have so much knowledge Katie.

I didn't know you knew that much about football. :biggrin:

I mean, you could have copied and pasted from another site.......
Reply 34
TK
OP
theaman
You have so much knowledge Katie.

I didn't know you knew that much about football. :biggrin:

I mean, you could have copied and pasted from another site.......
:rolleyes: obviously i copied and pasted it :tongue:
Reply 35
Tinykates
:rolleyes: obviously i copied and pasted it :tongue:

Really?!! :tongue:

I thought you were the "Ultimate Football Girl"..... :biggrin:
Reply 36
TK
OP
theaman
Really?!! :tongue:

I thought you were the "Ultimate Football Girl"..... :biggrin:
i wish:tongue:
Reply 37
Tinykates
i wish:tongue:

How about if I take away the football part? :biggrin:
Reply 38
England 1-3 France
Reply 39
Tinykates
realistic = pessimistic

ENGLAND!

yeah but no matter how we gonna hope and wish, truth won't change.

Latest

Trending

Trending