Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    So I applied to go on a sixth form trip to Africa next summer and have just been told that my application was successful and I will be going on the trip.

However, as part of the charity trip I need to raise at least £1500; £500 of this needs to be handed in by the start of January and a further £500 before March.

I had planned to do a sponsored bike ride to London (approx 100 miles), but I wouldn't be able to do this until about easter which leaves me at a loss of how I can raise so much money before January.

Has anybody got any ideas of what I could do to raise the money? It needs to be done outside of sixth form so the typical ideas like bake sales can't really be done.

Any help would be really really appreciated

ReputationRep:
    sell cakes in central london? save your own money aswell?

ReputationRep:
    Pub quizzes, nights at the races and strictly come dancing are popular fundraisers around where I live.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Get a job.

Don't rely on a sponsored bike ride getting you hundreds. Unless you're well off you'll probably find that everyone is happy to donate once to you and other than your parents or a close family member that's mostly gonna be £5-10. And plenty of people won't sponsor you at all, if it's something for college I assume lots of people will be raising money so people won't be able to donate to all of them.

Pub quizzes can be a good idea. Sometimes you can get a pub that runs quiz nights on board which is good as they already have a client base.

You could try and get some prizes donated from local businesses (e.g. vouchers) and have a raffle (there are some regulations about these so look them up).

Get some charity tins and put them in local shops.

Do bucket collections. You can try and get a license to do these in cities, ask in shops like Tescos where there's always someone on the door (but they book up early), clubs are always a good money maker if you can bucket collect at one. Also ask shops if you can bag pack and ask for donations, bring a few friends to help you and buy then a couple of beers to say thanks.

If you can organise it you can try and run social events which people will pay to attend, but you'll need a venue and so on.

I'm pretty sure you can't just roll up on the street and sell cakes but you could see if there is anywhere you could do so e.g. gyms (I've seen it done!), other local businesses e.g. butchers. Cake sales don't generate much though, you have to put a lot of time in and buy all the ingredients (and the cakes need to look nice and exciting so you need decorating stuff which isn't cheap) and you can't sell them for that much in the end.

Finally, contact local small businesses and so on and see if anyone is prepared to offer sponsorship as a business, this can give you decent lump sums but is hard to get. Think what you can offer them, e.g. wearing a t shirt with their logo, thanking them publically on facebook etc.

ReputationRep:
    Crowdfunding

ReputationRep:
    Buy good shares which can also go up as well as down. It is a gamble but may pay off if you get the right shares.

ReputationRep:
    Get a job and work your nuts off.

That £1500 is basically a cost of the trip, so just pay it. Nevermind the charity aspect of it, that's really just a sugar coating of high overall cost.

Or pull out but keep saving money - and after 6th form, that same £1500 will keep you going for a couple of months, including flights, in most of the 3rd world...

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.