Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    For those that can't get into banking, what other entry level roles are out there in finance..

Big 4
    Actuary
    Finance analyst

Is that it?

ReputationRep:
    hedge funds

ReputationRep:
    Accountant
    Auditor
    Tax associate
    Financial advisory
    Investment management at companies like Fidelity or Blackrock
    Management consultant
    Stockbroker
    Civil service (tax related stuff)

Lots of different career opportunities are available in finance!

ReputationRep:
    Cocaine cutter

ReputationRep:
    finance.

Hope i helped

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stochasticking)
    hedge funds
    I thought you had to go into IB first to get into hedge funds?
    Or at least have top, IB level, academics?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bupdeeboowah)
    Cocaine cutter
    Can you recommend some companies? And what sort of academics would I need?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by poorjimmyjimmy)
    Can you recommend some companies? And what sort of academics would I need?
    Rothschild. They're a family which produces wine as well, so naturally...

For the graduate cocaine cutter trainee position, you'll need at least a 2:1 in any degree from a reputable university, with a minimum AAB A Level grade or equivalent.

ReputationRep:
    I thought you had to go into IB first to get into hedge funds?
    Or at least have top, IB level, academics?
    IB and hedge funds are separate. The last sector you have not mentioned is quants ( sell side and buy side) and financial news services e.g bloomberg

ReputationRep:
    IB and hedge funds are separate. The last sector you have not mentioned is quants ( sell side and buy side) and financial news services e.g bloomberg
    If you can't get into banking, HF's and being a quant are probably out of the equation too

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iBall)
    If you can't get into banking, HF's and being a quant are probably out of the equation too

Posted from TSR Mobile
    True, but not always. To become a quant you need more technical skills. You have to be comfortable coding and pricing financial assets in c++, VBA etc as well as academically really smart with stochastic calculus, risk mangement etc. IB and M&A is completely different and one might be more suited to becoming a quant.

ReputationRep:
    True, but not always. To become a quant you need more technical skills. You have to be comfortable coding and pricing financial assets in c++, VBA etc as well as academically really smart with stochastic calculus, risk mangement etc. IB and M&A is completely different and one might be more suited to becoming a quant.
    True, if the reasons for not being able to break into banking are not due to education then being a quant is still possible. It's still a FO role however and very competitive

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iBall)
    True, if the reasons for not being able to break into banking are not due to education then being a quant is still possible. It's still a FO role however and very competitive

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yes I agree.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    You generally need IB, Research or Investment Management experience to get into a hedge fund.

Quants are still hired out of IBs, or straight from PhD programs.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    To OP:

High Finance:
    IB (M&A, DCM, ECM)
    Trading
    Research (Equity, Credit, Macro)
    Private Equity (LBOs)
    Hedge Funds (tonnes of strategies out there: Global Macro, Strat-Arb, Merger-Arb, Event Driven, HFT etc)
    Venture Capital
    Asset Management

In-house finance:
    FP&A (Financial Planning and Analysis)
    Corporate Development
    Corporate Strategy

Other:
    Investment Consulting
    Risk Analytics
    Actuarial Science
    Management Consulting

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Is billing supervisor classified as finance?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princepieman)
    You generally need IB, Research or Investment Management experience to get into a hedge fund.

Quants are still hired out of IBs, or straight from PhD programs.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yes. I think quite a few go through the PhD route. Even then, you need to get to really good school.

ReputationRep:
    To OP:

High Finance:
    IB (M&A, DCM, ECM)
    Trading
    Research (Equity, Credit, Macro)
    Private Equity (LBOs)
    Hedge Funds (tonnes of strategies out there: Global Macro, Strat-Arb, Merger-Arb, Event Driven, HFT etc)
    Venture Capital
    Asset Management

In-house finance:
    FP&A (Financial Planning and Analysis)
    Corporate Development
    Corporate Strategy

Other:
    Investment Consulting
    Risk Analytics
    Actuarial Science
    Management Consulting

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Ta muchly.Where does financial advisor fit into all this? I looked on some forums and people suggest it's a sales gig, but looking on some of the big4 websites, where they have 'deal advisory' and 'accounting advisory services' where you study for an aca, it looks to me that it's a bit more of a genuine advising position based on knowledge rather than persuasion.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Ta muchly.Where does financial advisor fit into all this? I looked on some forums and people suggest it's a sales gig, but looking on some of the big4 websites, where they have 'deal advisory' and 'accounting advisory services' where you study for an aca, it looks to me that it's a bit more of a genuine advising position based on knowledge rather than persuasion.
    A financial advisor is basically a personal banker. Their job is to advise clients on how to invest their personal finances - they are paid mostly based on comission.

Deal advisory (or Corporate Finance) is investment banking. The big4 all have 'IB' arms that advise on M&A deals - mostly focusing on the middle market - too.

Accounting advisory is just accounting tbh.

ReputationRep:
    A financial advisor is basically a personal banker. Their job is to advise clients on how to invest their personal finances - they are paid mostly based on comission.

Deal advisory (or Corporate Finance) is investment banking. The big4 all have 'IB' arms that advise on M&A deals - mostly focusing on the middle market - too.

Accounting advisory is just accounting tbh.
    That sounds about right. Thanks. I just got confused because the big4 site labelled deal advisory as 'financial advisory', but obv that's very different to being a financial advisor of the personal banker sort...

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to finance and bankingGuide to accountancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

ICAEW

"Choose a career journey with limitless possibilities."

Quick link:

Unanswered finance and accountancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.