Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I can't seem to find reviews for this laptop and I'm wondering if anyone can tell me how it is, if you've either got the same or understand tech talk....

http://www.toshiba.co.uk/laptops/sat...ite-c55-c-1m8/

I don't want to spend much on a laptop but also want it to be decent for standard everyday use...so if you've got any suggestions I'd appreciate it..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Biryani007)
    I can't seem to find reviews for this laptop and I'm wondering if anyone can tell me how it is, if you've either got the same or understand tech talk....

I don't want to spend much on a laptop but also want it to be decent for standard everyday use...so if you've got any suggestions I'd appreciate it..
    How much is it, and what's your ideal budget?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gofre)
    How much is it, and what's your ideal budget?
    £299 and I'd prefer to spend less than £400..

ReputationRep:
    nah its crap. Get this one instead, its the best

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colossus_computer

It''s great Overall it seems to be a hybrid laptop
    p.s. I know jacksh*it about computers/ laptops

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jlsmpV2)
    nah its crap. Get this one instead, its the best

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colossus_computer

(Original post by FaisalNaeem03)
    What's one of those?

ReputationRep:
    For £300 you can get a much better processor, which is that laptop's big weak point. This Asus laptop has a far superior processor and matches the Toshiba in every other area too.

ReputationRep:
    p.s. I know jacksh*it about computers/ laptops
    It's not great, and it's not a hybrid laptop.

What's one of those?
    A hybrid laptop is a laptop with some sort of tablet functionality, either with the top half of the laptop detaching to work as a separate tablet or by the keyboard folding underneath the laptop so that the screen faces upwards. The Toshiba isn't either.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gofre)
    For £300 you can get a much better processor, which is that laptop's big weak point. This Asus laptop has a far superior processor and matches the Toshiba in every other area too.
    As shallow as it sounds I like the look of the white toshiba...does the difference in processor make a huge difference? If so then I'll have to go for the asus...

(Original post by Gofre)

A hybrid laptop is a laptop with some sort of tablet functionality, either with the top half of the laptop detaching to work as a separate tablet or by the keyboard folding underneath the laptop so that the screen faces upwards. The Toshiba isn't either.
    Oh :lol:

(Original post by Gofre)

I did say I know nothing about laptops . I was just using my FIFA Ultimate Team knowledge to say that.

ReputationRep:
    I have a Toshiba satellite not sure if its the exact same one but it's great, I've had it for 2 years now and it rarely presents any problems. I wouldn't know much about laptops though, but this one is pretty adequate for general use

ReputationRep:
    As shallow as it sounds I like the look of the white toshiba...does the difference in processor make a huge difference? If so then I'll have to go for the asus...
    In the short term, it's going to be the difference between a usable laptop and a fast one. In the long term, it means a laptop that will last longer before getting frustratingly slow. Getting a modern "Core i" series processor, if it's within budget, is absolutely recommended, and sacrificing that for the sake of a slightly prettier colour is not something you want to be doing. The only bit of the laptop that really matters to look at is the screen when your budget is this small.

If you really want a white one, get this Lenovo laptop for £330. You're far better off giving up an extra thirty quid than you are giving up a huge chunk of performance.

ReputationRep:
    I did say I know nothing about laptops . I was just using my FIFA Ultimate Team knowledge to say that.
    I wouldn't recommend giving advice on products costing hundreds of pounds in that case then :yep:

(Original post by Gofre)
    I wouldn't recommend giving advice on products costing hundreds of pounds in that case then :yep:
    Yeahh I guess you should gave me advice before I got my own laptop

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _ariane29)
    I have a Toshiba satellite not sure if its the exact same one but it's great, I've had it for 2 years now and it rarely presents any problems. I wouldn't know much about laptops though, but this one is pretty adequate for general use
    Have you noticed it getting slower over time?

(Original post by Gofre)
    In the short term, it's going to be the difference between a usable laptop and a fast one. In the long term, it means a laptop that will last longer before getting frustratingly slow. Getting a modern "Core i" series processor, if it's within budget, is absolutely recommended, and sacrificing that for the sake of a slightly prettier colour is not something you want to be doing. The only bit of the laptop that really matters to look at is the screen when your budget is this small.

If you really want a white one, get this Lenovo laptop for £330. You're far better off giving up an extra thirty quid than you are giving up a huge chunk of performance.
    It was also the battery life of toshiba that appealed to me but yes you're right, thank you!

ReputationRep:

It was also the battery life of toshiba that appealed to me but yes you're right, thank you!
    It got a little slower when I first upgraded to windows 10 but if you buy it new you should get an immediate update to windows 10 so that wont be a problem But generally I wouldn't say it's got slower
    • Section Leader
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by Gofre)

This, this, this. What's going to matter in the future — your laptop is white and pretty but slower than anything or a laptop that isn't as pretty with semi-decent performance? I think we all know which is better in that sense. Good luck, OP.

ReputationRep:

I would go on a limb and say you're not very likely to ever see that sort of value- Windows manufacturers are notoriously optimistic with their battery estimates and it's especially unlikely for cheap laptops unless they have low voltage CPUs, which the Toshiba doesn't.

ReputationRep:

Nope. processor is slow. For everyday use id recommend minimum core i3 laptop

Something like this

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lenovo-G50-7...rds=lenovo+g50

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abdi112)
    Nope. processor is slow. For everyday use id recommend minimum core i3 laptop

Something like this

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lenovo-G50-7...rds=lenovo+g50
    Yep, i3 should help here.
    Although, in my experience, the "slower" ones are not as slow as they've used to be, so it's not like you won't be able to work with it.

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.