Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Are A levels a good predictor of uni grades? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Although I worked so so super hard all year round in year 13, my grades just didn't reflect the sheer amount of effort I put in
    I now think this could largely be down to my weeks before the exams and the whole exam period, I all of a sudden broke down with all the stress and procrastinated and would cry everyday, it was awwwful

but, I still feel a little wary of my abilities themselves rather than just the exam period because I just think about the whole rest of the year, and wonder if maybe those A levels really reflected my lack of aptitude when it comes to exams and being tested, even if I read a lot and study a lot and understand the content at a decent level

So if that is the case, then that also makes me worry about how good i'll be when it comes to assessments in uni, we haven't really submitted any of our bigger assignments yet so I have no idea how well i'm doing at this point

but I am for certain putting in so much effort just like I did with A levels, and i'm putting in the effort because I enjoy the work and feel motivated, but there's this little feeling in the back of my mind which just wonders whether I should just be taking it easier if at the end of the day I get the smelliest grades for lack of a swearing word

Even though I really enjoyed my A levels and learnt so much, which is what is of real value to me compared to grades, it can nonetheless be disheartening not to have your grades reflect your efforts
    I also would study smart as well as hard, I know studying hard alone isn't enough
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by ImNotReallyMe)
    Although I worked so so super hard all year round in year 13, my grades just didn't reflect the sheer amount of effort I put in
    I now think this could largely be down to my weeks before the exams and the whole exam period, I all of a sudden broke down with all the stress and procrastinated and would cry everyday, it was awwwful

but, I still feel a little wary of my abilities themselves rather than just the exam period because I just think about the whole rest of the year, and wonder if maybe those A levels really reflected my lack of aptitude when it comes to exams and being tested, even if I read a lot and study a lot and understand the content at a decent level

So if that is the case, then that also makes me worry about how good i'll be when it comes to assessments in uni, we haven't really submitted any of our bigger assignments yet so I have no idea how well i'm doing at this point

but I am for certain putting in so much effort just like I did with A levels, and i'm putting in the effort because I enjoy the work and feel motivated, but there's this little feeling in the back of my mind which just wonders whether I should just be taking it easier if at the end of the day I get the smelliest grades for lack of a swearing word

Even though I really enjoyed my A levels and learnt so much, which is what is of real value to me compared to grades, it can nonetheless be disheartening not to have your grades reflect your efforts
    I also would study smart as well as hard, I know studying hard alone isn't enough
    For me personally, my mostly awful a level grades haven't reflected my university grades at all. (i went from an E in a level biology to getting 80% in a human anatomy exam). University is a whole different way of learning compared to a levels, you have more flexibility in how you chose to learn for sure, sometimes its about studying smarter rather than harder though, find out what it is the lecturers you want you to know or do in your answers and then go from there . The assessments depending on what you're studying can be completely different to what you've done at a levels so put your a level grades behind you and let university be a fresh start for you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claireestelle)
    For me personally, my mostly awful a level grades haven't reflected my university grades at all. (i went from an E in a level biology to getting 80% in a human anatomy exam). University is a whole different way of learning compared to a levels, you have more flexibility in how you chose to learn for sure, sometimes its about studying smarter rather than harder though, find out what it is the lecturers you want you to know or do in your answers and then go from there . The assessments depending on what you're studying can be completely different to what you've done at a levels so put your a level grades behind you and let university be a fresh start for you.
    Thank you, that's a relief, I just couldn't hack A levels, so it's good to know university works differently, really anticipating my first assignment marks

Biology is actually the biggest one that scared me, I tried the hardest for that and got the worst A2 grades from that, I wish I had my paper because I don't understand it
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by ImNotReallyMe)
    Thank you, that's a relief, I just couldn't hack A levels, so it's good to know university works differently, really anticipating my first assignment marks

Biology is actually the biggest one that scared me, I tried the hardest for that and got the worst A2 grades from that, I wish I had my paper because I don't understand it
    I had the same feelings towards biology but now i absolutely love it, just had to find the right way to learn it in the end. Remember uni is all about getting better as you go along so look at your feedback when you get your first assignment and the next time you ll be able to work on anything you need to and then you can keep getting better marks
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    No, they're no indicator whatsoever of your final uni grades.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Roving Fish)
    No, they're no indicator whatsoever of your final uni grades.
    So there is absolutely no correlation between A Level grades and university grades?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by h3110)
    So there is absolutely no correlation between A Level grades and university grades?
    I don't have data to say yes or no, but you can have people who aced A Levels absolutely bomb uni.

Your uni grade will depend on the amount of time you put in to assignments and getting into academic writing. (Wildly different from what you're used to doing at A Level, in fact my first theory lecturer told me to forget everything that I'd learnt before uni)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Roving Fish)
    I don't have data to say yes or no, but you can have people who aced A Levels absolutely bomb uni.

Your uni grade will depend on the amount of time you put in to assignments and getting into academic writing. (Wildly different from what you're used to doing at A Level, in fact my first theory lecturer told me to forget everything that I'd learnt before uni)
    That's good then, I've been putting a lot of time in and do quite well with academic writing

I think it's a bit like how GCSE results and A level results are always very different from each other, maybe there isn't a correlation after all

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.