The Student Room Group

How do you revise chemistry?

So basically I got a b at AS but id really like an A at A2.When should I start doing past papers?Im worried if I start now ill have none to do before exams.Should I just review notes?
Original post by Ula456
So basically I got a b at AS but id really like an A at A2.When should I start doing past papers?Im worried if I start now ill have none to do before exams.Should I just review notes?

1. Notes.
Write notes based on the mark schemes. Look at how the structure of answers is the same year after year. Make sure you cover everything from the specification.

2. Practice.
Use past papers, including really old ones from 2001+. The topics may be slightly different, but the science behind them never changes. Do as many difficult questions as you can, challenge yourself, learn from your mistakes.

3. Time.
Pace yourself throughout the year. Try to finish your notes as early as possible to give you a longer time to practice and revise what you've learnt. Ideally, start revising in January.

:smile:
Don't rely on your teachers. Thats the main thing that helped me. I figured out my teachers didnt know anything by about Feb, I did it myself and ignored them and got a high A. Most of my classmates continued to rely on them and as a result, my A2 class is extremely small now.

A levels are about independent study. Post above mine has some solid tips too, go through them
Original post by Ula456

Chemrevise.org (the website) is amazing - basically the only reason I managed to get an A at AS (dropped it now though), I imagine it would be very useful for A2 as well.
Hey, I got an A this year in AS chem.
tips:
- Print off the speicification and go through it periodically, ticking through things you can do and noting down parts of the spec that you aren't strong/sure on
- Do ALL the past papers before the exam. Start now by doing exam questions by topic. Mark yourself, and if you don't get over 80%, go back and revise then try some more questions
- Understand the exam technique - note down the things in bold in the mark schemes
- If youre doing OCR exam board - machemguy youtube is a lifesaver!
- Also 'physics and maths tutor.com' has a chemistry area tailored for all he exam boards - very good website.
- Print off other people's notes and go through it - I persoanlly think it's a waste of time writing out your own notes for a subject like chemistry.
- Revise as you go along and you should achieve :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by theone2498
Don't rely on your teachers. Thats the main thing that helped me. I figured out my teachers didnt know anything by about Feb, I did it myself and ignored them and got a high A. Most of my classmates continued to rely on them and as a result, my A2 class is extremely small now.

A levels are about independent study. Post above mine has some solid tips too, go through them

Well done for that A!One of my teachers literally did not teach the whole year she would just talk about her life and do experiments with us.I've switched classes now but my other teacher is not great either :/ I'm determined to do better this year though.
Reply 6
Original post by tcameron
Hey, I got an A this year in AS chem.
tips:
- Print off the speicification and go through it periodically, ticking through things you can do and noting down parts of the spec that you aren't strong/sure on
- Do ALL the past papers before the exam. Start now by doing exam questions by topic. Mark yourself, and if you don't get over 80%, go back and revise then try some more questions
- Understand the exam technique - note down the things in bold in the mark schemes
- If youre doing OCR exam board - machemguy youtube is a lifesaver!
- Also 'physics and maths tutor.com' has a chemistry area tailored for all he exam boards - very good website.
- Print off other people's notes and go through it - I persoanlly think it's a waste of time writing out your own notes for a subject like chemistry.
- Revise as you go along and you should achieve :smile:

Thanks a lot! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest