I have to do a powerpoint on the genetic basis of type 1 diabetes...

Watch this thread
emmalav
Badges: 4
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I'm doing a powerpoint on the genetic basis of type 1 diabetes for Medicine ! What do you think would be important things to include? I know we could talk about the different types of genes that cause it and modes of inheritance ! Does anyone think that anything else would be necessary?
Thanks for help
nexttime
Badges: 22
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 6 years ago
That's a pretty tough ask, given that the genetic causes aren't exactly known. Type 2 diabetes actually shows greater correlation among families than type 1.
Beska
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by emmalav)
I'm doing a powerpoint on the genetic basis of type 1 diabetes for Medicine ! What do you think would be important things to include? I know we could talk about the different types of genes that cause it and modes of inheritance ! Does anyone think that anything else would be necessary?
Thanks for help
Ditto nexttime, that's pretty mean. Also however means you are allowed to be a bit more wooly.

Strongest genetic determinant of T1DM is the HLA complex, particularly DRB1, DQA1, DQB1 genes. These are important in your body's immune system recognising itself as not being a foreign invader and for cells communicating to each other about what is a foreign invader. If you think about it, a problem with these does make sense given T1DM being largely an autoimmune disease.

Very complex though. May take you a lot of reading. T1DM is a complex trait (i.e. lots of genes interact with environment to cause the disease) so it isn't simple Mendelian inheritance like you learn at AS/A2 level. Genetics only accounts for around 80% of the heritability of T1DM.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Y13s: How will you be receiving your A-level results?

In person (73)
67.59%
In the post (5)
4.63%
Text (15)
13.89%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (15)
13.89%

Watched Threads