Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

I have to do a powerpoint on the genetic basis of type 1 diabetes... watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing a powerpoint on the genetic basis of type 1 diabetes for Medicine ! What do you think would be important things to include? I know we could talk about the different types of genes that cause it and modes of inheritance ! Does anyone think that anything else would be necessary?
    Thanks for help
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    That's a pretty tough ask, given that the genetic causes aren't exactly known. Type 2 diabetes actually shows greater correlation among families than type 1.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by emmalav)
    I'm doing a powerpoint on the genetic basis of type 1 diabetes for Medicine ! What do you think would be important things to include? I know we could talk about the different types of genes that cause it and modes of inheritance ! Does anyone think that anything else would be necessary?
    Thanks for help
    Ditto nexttime, that's pretty mean. Also however means you are allowed to be a bit more wooly.

Strongest genetic determinant of T1DM is the HLA complex, particularly DRB1, DQA1, DQB1 genes. These are important in your body's immune system recognising itself as not being a foreign invader and for cells communicating to each other about what is a foreign invader. If you think about it, a problem with these does make sense given T1DM being largely an autoimmune disease.

Very complex though. May take you a lot of reading. T1DM is a complex trait (i.e. lots of genes interact with environment to cause the disease) so it isn't simple Mendelian inheritance like you learn at AS/A2 level. Genetics only accounts for around 80% of the heritability of T1DM.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 27, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.