Turn on thread page Beta

Graduating with no disseration / final-year project watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Basically I'm studying Software Engineering and I'm in my 3rd year at the University. This would be my final year if I was on the Bachelors pathway but I'm on the Masters pathway. Therefore I've no final year project / dissertation to do until next year. I can however graduate this year with a Bachelors if I really wanted, but since I didn't say in September I was Bachelors it would mean having no dissertation / final-year project. My course is driving me absolutely insane and I would consider just finishing a year early without a final year project but would this look really bad to prospective employers?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by seanh20)
    Basically I'm studying Software Engineering and I'm in my 3rd year at the University. This would be my final year if I was on the Bachelors pathway but I'm on the Masters pathway. Therefore I've no final year project / dissertation to do until next year. I can however graduate this year with a Bachelors if I really wanted, but since I didn't say in September I was Bachelors it would mean having no dissertation / final-year project. My course is driving me absolutely insane and I would consider just finishing a year early without a final year project but would this look really bad to prospective employers?
    How would they even know? Most will only be interested in the final degree.

I didn't do a final year project or dissertation, I had enough module points from doing normal subjects instead.

ReputationRep:
    Depends, my final year dissertation got me onto my phd and i know people who got offered jobs off the back of theirs (actualy sent in a copy after being rejected-then got the job) but thats in biotech, not sure re compsci

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reue)
    How would they even know? Most will only be interested in the final degree.

I didn't do a final year project or dissertation, I had enough module points from doing normal subjects instead.
    Being someone who has hired for software engineering firms (I'm an software architect), we always asked our graduate intake to go over their dissertation and demo what they had done. He'd need to make something up, some employers may not care but I think more often than not they probably would unless he had some really good non dissertation work under his belt.

He'll probably be asked the question at some point during the interview for very practical based subjects it would be strange if they did not ask.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ron_trns)
    Being someone who has hired for software engineering firms (I'm an software architect), we always asked our graduate intake to go over their dissertation and demo what they had done. He'd need to make something up, some employers may not care but I think more often than not they probably would unless he had some really good non dissertation work under his belt.

He'll probably be asked the question at some point during the interview for very practical based subjects it would be strange if they did not ask.
    I've never heard dissertation or final year projects mentioned in any interviews ive attended, sitting on both sides of the table.

Once you've got some actual experience even less notice is paid to the degree specifics too.

I certainly wouldn't be recommending he make something up...

ReputationRep:
    Fairly normal practise for IT/software firms, it is highly project based thus seeing examples of work is almost universal if you have no work experience. Whilst you are right thatafter 3-5 years you don't even get asked for your degree anymore at interviews, in the situation he is in if he has no work experience/final year project his best bet is to make it up with sampleprojects he made in his spare time. Every manager I've known in this industry would always ask at least details about hons projects for new graduates. Followed by the usual coding tests etc...

Having no hons project would be a huge downside when it's already hard enough to land a graduate job unless his portfolio has some great things in it. It's just shy of having a 2:2 to be honest.

ReputationRep:
    a final year project is a requirement for professional accreditation from the BCS. at most universities a final year project is required for an honors degree.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 27, 2015
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.