Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Isn't it all points based?
    Surely its a good thing to pick up points early on?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blear)
    On a lot of courses there are no points to be gained in the first year. What you might achieve then has no effect on the final degree.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arbolus)
    On a lot of courses there are no points to be gained in the first year. What you might achieve then has no effect on the final degree.
    All of my modules are listed as being worth 20 points. Is this just a standard classification for 'worthless' or do I actually get those points towards the degree?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blear)
    All of my modules are listed as being worth 20 points. Is this just a standard classification for 'worthless' or do I actually get those points towards the degree?
    The modules will be listed as being worth points/credits, and you will get a final grade/classification for the year, however it won't actually go towards in your final degree score. Many courses are something like this for Year 1, year 2 and year 3 in what they contribute to the final degree mark...

0%/40%/60%

0%/20%/80%

But for the vast majority of cases, year one is "worthless", that said though if you're having a placement year between years 2 and 3, your results in year 1 could impact somewhat.

ReputationRep:
    maybe not entirely that it doesn't count but probably because most of what you're taking during first year are minor subjects? just a thought.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blear)
    it's more the first year marks don't carry over (in a degree HND's are different) you need to paste year 40% but even if you got 100% it would have no bearing on your final grade they don't carry over.

ReputationRep:
    matters most in the final stage like mario brothers.

ReputationRep:
    Your first year marks will be shown on your official degree transcript, which is what employers will look at. Plus it's worth getting into good study habits in the first year, because suddenly deciding to study well in the second year can be difficult from a standing start.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bill_Gates)
    matters most in the final stage like mario brothers.
    lol! that's a cool representation of things

ReputationRep:
    You may be mixing up marks with credits. A 20-credit module, for example, refers to how much time/work the module takes. As an undergraduate I think you have to take 120 credits in total per year. The credits 'count' in terms of adding up that you have done enough modules over the course to be able to graduate. The reason that they have credit numbers is that sometimes you take shorter modules, which are 'worth' less credits than longer ones/ones with more assignments.

So if you pass the required number of modules, you can graduate, but the classification (i.e. 1, 2.1, 2.2, 3) depends on the marks you get, usually averaged from your 2nd and 3rd year.

Marks refers to what grade you get in the module. When people say "first year doesn't count" or "I only need 40% anyway", what they mean is that the marks don't directly contribute to your final classification.

However:

1) They still appear on your transcript. Even if you have a list of 80s for year 2 and 3, having a list of barely-scraped 40s for first years just screams "I only do the bare minimum".

2) In many cases, the knowledge and skills you learn in first year are 'assumed' and built upon during subsequent years. If you get a high mark in first year stats for example, you'd find second year stats easier to follow (what with the tutors' frequent reliance on the knowledge you *should* have already). But, if you only half-assed learnt half of the first year material in order to scrape a pass, then second year will be harder, because you're missing half the information that you're trying to build on - like building the roof of a house with only half the walls to hold it up!

3) If you have optional modules, project topics, placements etc, the marks from first year may well be used to rank the people in your cohort - those with the highest rank getting "first dibs"...

ReputationRep:
    I just passed about passed my first year reading that is really worrying me now because it will be there on my transcript :/

ReputationRep:
    on many courses first year doesnt count towards final grade, but it is a good indicator and helps a lot, especially in showing yourself and your course what you can do and what you can aim for.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.