Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

gonna get straight to it- I'm 17 and I want to be a doctor. Medicine is the ultimate goal and i would give an arm and a leg to get a place in medical school

I got 2Bs and 2Cs in my AS levels
    Now i'm trying to work my arse off to get all As at A2

but here's the problem: I am literally so scared I'm going to screw up that it makes me feel sick. I've been extra grumpy, and just so ****ing scared. I've been feeling physically nauseous and crying solely because I think I'm just not going to be able to do it. Then I start going into the whole thing where I think I'm never gonna be a doctor. I should've tried harder. I'm such a failure. I'm so stupid. Why can't I do anything right?

I know it seems counter-productive... and it is. I can't revise and study because I feel like I just know I can't do it so what's the point in even trying when there's people who got straight A*s through their GCSEs and A-levels and have been rejected. Why do I think I'd even stand a chance if THEY'RE being rejected.

So that's my mindset at the moment, which definitely won't help me get the grades. Can anyone help me snap out of it? Any tips? Any success stories? Any 'it's not the end of the world, you can still be a doctor' stories?

Please I just need reassurance that it's all gonna be okay...

ReputationRep:
    You can do something like a science degree at undergrad and then do postgrad medicine?

ReputationRep:
    unfortunately i can only give the usual advice of just do your best and in the end you won't look back thinking you could have tried harder

(Original post by MrsSheldonCooper)
    You can do something like a science degree at undergrad and then do postgrad medicine?
    yeah that's what I was thinking

I was gonna apply to one this year as a back up in case I don't get the grades but my teachers refuse to predict me higher than BBB! even though i'm getting As in class tests! Our mocks are in November so if I come out with As in all my subjects and they change my predicted grades I might apply but right now I'm not applying

(Original post by chelseafreak)
    unfortunately i can only give the usual advice of just do your best and in the end you won't look back thinking you could have tried harder
    yeah maybe that's the best advice

thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    yeah that's what I was thinking

I was gonna apply to one this year as a back up in case I don't get the grades but my teachers refuse to predict me higher than BBB! even though i'm getting As in class tests! Our mocks are in November so if I come out with As in all my subjects and they change my predicted grades I might apply but right now I'm not applying
    If you get higher than BBB then you can just go through Adjustment maybe?

(Original post by MrsSheldonCooper)
    If you get higher than BBB then you can just go through Adjustment maybe?
    I know but it's just...

If it wasn't medicine it was pharmacy for me

I find pharmacy just as rewarding and amazing as medicine and if medicine just isn't gonna happen I would be MORE than happy to be a pharmacist for the rest of my life

thing is... most unis want ABB for their pharmacy courses AT LEAST

since I'm predicted BBB, the 'best' uni I can apply to is Hertfordshire

I really wanted to go to Brighton (ABB minimum for pharmacy, AAA for medicine obv) but now I can't even apply to it, I know there's adjustment but I just really don't want to go to any of the unis I can apply to for pharmacy with BBB, so it's a waste of an application

ReputationRep:
    To play devil's advocate, is it YOU that wants to do medicine or pushy parents?

If the latter, do what YOU want. If the former, do your best and where there is a will there is usually a way so you can always do the postgrad route!

(Original post by Wimbs)
    To play devil's advocate, is it YOU that wants to do medicine or pushy parents?

If the latter, do what YOU want. If the former, do your best and where there is a will there is usually a way so you can always do the postgrad route!
    Well my parents don't really care, they were like you can do whatever you want. I would not be forced into a degree because I'm gonna be the one hating it AND I'm gonna be the one paying back MY student loans!!! It's my life after all...

I really do want to do medicine, and hopefully there will be a way for me :argh:

hopefully it all works out, i'm gonna work my arse off so i can say I gave it a good go but I WILL be a doctor... I just need to figure out how

ReputationRep:
    If you think you can boost your grades at A2 then can you apply after you have your grades and just take a year out to work or volunteer?

ReputationRep:
    gonna get straight to it- I'm 17 and I want to be a doctor. Medicine is the ultimate goal and i would give an arm and a leg to get a place in medical school

I got 2Bs and 2Cs in my AS levels
    Now i'm trying to work my arse off to get all As at A2

but here's the problem: I am literally so scared I'm going to screw up that it makes me feel sick. I've been extra grumpy, and just so ****ing scared. I've been feeling physically nauseous and crying solely because I think I'm just not going to be able to do it. Then I start going into the whole thing where I think I'm never gonna be a doctor. I should've tried harder. I'm such a failure. I'm so stupid. Why can't I do anything right?

I know it seems counter-productive... and it is. I can't revise and study because I feel like I just know I can't do it so what's the point in even trying when there's people who got straight A*s through their GCSEs and A-levels and have been rejected. Why do I think I'd even stand a chance if THEY'RE being rejected.

So that's my mindset at the moment, which definitely won't help me get the grades. Can anyone help me snap out of it? Any tips? Any success stories? Any 'it's not the end of the world, you can still be a doctor' stories?

Please I just need reassurance that it's all gonna be okay...
    you sound like you really really want it.... so you will get it..... simple

(Original post by Jenx301)
    If you think you can boost your grades at A2 then can you apply after you have your grades and just take a year out to work or volunteer?
    that's the plan atm... let's hope the grade boosting works

(Original post by sana_malik)
    you sound like you really really want it.... so you will get it..... simple
    I really hope you're right and I really do want it, and I'm ready to make sacrifices so hopefully it will happen one day

ReputationRep:
    I really hope you're right and I really do want it, and I'm ready to make sacrifices so hopefully it will happen one day
    think positive....... it'll do you good in life :P
    (lol when did i say stuff like that?)

ReputationRep:
    Good to hear it is YOU wanting to do the degree and not (please forgive the stereotype but I see it often) pushy Asian/Chinese parents!

ReputationRep:
    What about a foundation course. Quite a number of universities, some are very reputable, do offer foundation courses.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    This was literally me a couple of months ago. The thing with medicine is that it's not good to keep comparing yourself with everyone else and belittling your achievements. I know how easy it is to become fixated on getting into medical school,but remember that's just the very beginning of your road to becoming a doctor! It has this strange power of being able to blind people, making them think that there is no other worthwhile/ amazing job out there- which is wrong. If it's what you really want, get out of the mentality of "I hope I will become a doctor" or "Im praying that I get an offer" because one thing I've learned in life is that thoughts and dreams are pretty much useless without physical determination and discipline to achieve what you want, be it in 2 years, 5 years or even 10.

Sorry if it got a bit deep, lol.

(Original post by leehoma)
    What about a foundation course. Quite a number of universities, some are very reputable, do offer foundation courses.
    haha yeah it's me not pushy parents

urm don't you have to come from a bad school to apply for those? my school isn't good but on paper it is 'over achieving'

plus there's only 20 places! but i will apply for it because idk by some miracle i might get in

(Original post by Wimbs)
    Good to hear it is YOU wanting to do the degree and not (please forgive the stereotype but I see it often) pushy Asian/Chinese parents!
    yupp me, not pushy parents haha

(Original post by Lularose83)
    This was literally me a couple of months ago. The thing with medicine is that it's not good to keep comparing yourself with everyone else and belittling your achievements. I know how easy it is to become fixated on getting into medical school,but remember that's just the very beginning of your road to becoming a doctor! It has this strange power of being able to blind people, making them think that there is no other worthwhile/ amazing job out there- which is wrong. If it's what you really want, get out of the mentality of "I hope I will become a doctor" or "Im praying that I get an offer" because one thing I've learned in life is that thoughts and dreams are pretty much useless without physical determination and discipline to achieve what you want, be it in 2 years, 5 years or even 10.

Sorry if it got a bit deep, lol.
    thanks for replying! i know medical school is just the beginning and stuff and i know there's A TON more work to do at uni but i love this kinda stuff, i watch videos and read books and documentaries and everything about medicine just fascinates me. I want to be able to have that knowledge, and to put it to good use! i'm not saying that being a doctor is the best job and everything else is **** because engineering and physics and maths and chemistry and english and history and law and computer science are ALL so awesome and I would love to do all of them but I don't have the skills, I'm not the best at writing essays and my maths and physics are horrible - it's a miracle i came out with a C! I think these subjects are SO cool and if I was more 'mathsy' i would've DEFINITELY gone for some engineering or physics course. but i'm not, chemistry is my life, and I'm quite good at biology if i do say so myself so I can put those to good use in order to help peope (another passion of mine) and one of the jobs that are rewarding and centered around these very things is Medicine and other health care jobs. I like myself a challenge and I want to BE the one to help the patient - like diagnose and prescribe them medicine and reassure them because it's really scary when there's something going wrong inside you but you don't know what it is. I wanna be the one to take that fear away.

Thanks for that bit at the end, I will be a doctor - no matter how long it takes. even if my grades aren't top notch i'll find some way. And the day I get into medical school i will come and **** TSR up so bad! thanks again haha

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 27, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.