Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I recently joined the football team at my University, but I haven't done any vigorous exercising in about 2 years. So on my first training session, the dude running the warm up told the team to jog to one end of the pitch and then Sprint back. The jog went fine, but then when I was 2 strides into sprinting back, I pulled a thigh muscle. I didnt tell anyone because it wasnt too serious and I didnt want to look like an idiot, I mean I just managed to get myself slightly injured during the warm up...Then came Sunday, my first game with the team, and my first time EVER playing 11 aside football with a team. I managed to pull some kind of muscle or something around the groin area this time, but I was still able to play for 15 minutes of the game (i was brought on for the final 15 minutes). It was alright, but I wasnt able to sprint at all, otherwise I would have seriously hurt myself, so just imagine a 6'2 dude attempting to run at an acceptable speed, but only being able to achieve that by jogging really quickly. Well that was me during the game.

In light of this, I'd like to ask any sports experts on how to improve my ability to sprint and generally perform better on the field of play. I guess something to do with it would be stretching (unfortunately I can barely reach my shins when attempting to stretch so im not really flexible).

ReputationRep:
    Find out how the professionals do it
    (unless they're injured too)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phillipo57)
    I recently joined the football team at my University, but I haven't done any vigorous exercising in about 2 years. So on my first training session, the dude running the warm up told the team to jog to one end of the pitch and then Sprint back. The jog went fine, but then when I was 2 strides into sprinting back, I pulled a thigh muscle. I didnt tell anyone because it wasnt too serious and I didnt want to look like an idiot, I mean I just managed to get myself slightly injured during the warm up...Then came Sunday, my first game with the team, and my first time EVER playing 11 aside football with a team. I managed to pull some kind of muscle or something around the groin area this time, but I was still able to play for 15 minutes of the game (i was brought on for the final 15 minutes). It was alright, but I wasnt able to sprint at all, otherwise I would have seriously hurt myself, so just imagine a 6'2 dude attempting to run at an acceptable speed, but only being able to achieve that by jogging really quickly. Well that was me during the game.

In light of this, I'd like to ask any sports experts on how to improve my ability to sprint and generally perform better on the field of play. I guess something to do with it would be stretching (unfortunately I can barely reach my shins when attempting to stretch so im not really flexible).
    First of all, if you injure yourself then stop. Every single person there will have pulled a muscle at some point, nobody is going to judge you for it, quite frankly nobody is even going to give a **** about it, and all that you'll achieve by continuing to play is to do more damage and slow down your recovery.

Secondly, you need to make sure that when you warm up you're doing proper dynamic stretching. The image that most people have in their head when they think of warming up is standing still and stretching a single muscle at a time. That has been proven to do absolutely nothing to prevent injury and in a lot of cases actually increases the risk. Dynamic stretching uses movements that stretch a number of muscles but in a much more natural way than simply standing still and pulling it. Google Dynamic Stretching to see what I mean.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.