Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Please could someone help me?
    I am about to become an NQT in a primary school, and have been offered a position in Year 6. I know the curriculum has changed, and I haven't got a clue about what it is exactly that I'm supposed to teach. Can anyone point me to a list that details exactly what I should be teaching, especially in maths! I'm so confused! Do I teach adding fractions, ratio etc? Do I teach letter writing? I'm so stressed by this. I thought I would be able to get some planning in place over half term, but everywhere I look tells me a different thing!
    Thank you so much for any help x
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    i could remmeber in year 6, i was taught basic algebra, it was a time where they taught lots of division as well now that supposely these kids are familiar with multiplication. finding a fraction of a number is also include. percentages like 10% of something, and some shapes facts.
    for literacy, we read a lot, we did comprehensions. plus spelling tests. there's a website called primaryresources to help you plan your lessons or print off some things for your class

ReputationRep:
    The curriculum gives you the learning outcomes you need to reach in y6 for maths and English. Start there for some tips.
    Tbh, I'm quite shocked at your unpreparedness.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Tbh I'm quite shocked at your rudeness. I was employed for year 1 and was told about year 6 on Friday.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by parkerposse)
    Tbh I'm quite shocked at your rudeness. I was employed for year 1 and was told about year 6 on Friday.

I really never meant to come across as rude, but sometimes I wonder what happens on teacher training, and if you're taught to use the curriculum.

Is it more than one-form entry? If so, ask the other teachers for advice because the whole year will be doing the same thing, or their current y6 teacher/precious y5 teacher.
    Or go to your mentor. This is what they're for!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.