Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello, I have recently started my A2 English language coursework on analysing the representation of language. Despite writing out my introduction and methodology I am still completely unsure on what I am doing!! My teacher is being no help at all, I have tried my best to understand his instructions however I'm finding them very complicated!

If anyone reading has knowledge on this coursework piece I ask you to message me over this site and please please provide help! I have my draft of my introduction and methodology however I am unsure on what changes I must make to it. Also, any links or advice on this coursework is also greatly appreciated!

I have emailed multiple English teachers with my issues and they have not replied, starting to worry as the deadline for this coursework is fast approaching.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eemmmmaaaaa)
    x
    What exam board are you on?
    What texts or equivalent are you using?

ReputationRep:
    1. AQA
    2. Snippets of YouTube clips to analyse

• TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Study Helper
    Hello, I have recently started my A2 English language coursework on analysing the representation of language. Despite writing out my introduction and methodology I am still completely unsure on what I am doing!! My teacher is being no help at all, I have tried my best to understand his instructions however I'm finding them very complicated!

If anyone reading has knowledge on this coursework piece I ask you to message me over this site and please please provide help! I have my draft of my introduction and methodology however I am unsure on what changes I must make to it. Also, any links or advice on this coursework is also greatly appreciated!

I have emailed multiple English teachers with my issues and they have not replied, starting to worry as the deadline for this coursework is fast approaching.

I got an A on this coursework.

What you need is:

1. Title: what your investigation will be called
    2. Introduction: what your topic is and the general work and ideas surrounding it
    3. Hypothesis: what you intend to show by investigating your topic. Within this, you should have roughly 3-4 aims in which you want to show throughout your investigation. (sort of like summing up each paragraph [this usually comes in after you've written your middle section of your investigation])
    4. Methodology: basically, where are you getting your evidence from (youtube clips) and your data; transcripts and then your references; academic studies.

We cannot know what changes need to be made unless we actually read your intro and methodology. Have you got feedback from your teacher first? If so, what has he actually said?

ReputationRep:
    If you're doing AQA (and Eng Lang B), I assume you've been given the Nelson Thornes AQA textbook? If so flip to page 132 / Unit 4 and have a read, it tells you exactly what is expected of you and pretty much explains what you need to do. My top tip is get as many key terms in your investigation as possible - good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Empire Odyssey)

What you need is:

2. Introduction: what your topic is and the general work and ideas surrounding it
    3. Hypothesis: what you intend to show by investigating your topic. Within this, you should have roughly 3-4 aims in which you want to show throughout your investigation. (sort of like summing up each paragraph [this usually comes in after you've written your middle section of your investigation])
    4. Methodology: basically, where are you getting your evidence from (youtube clips) and your data; transcripts and then your references; academic studies.

We cannot know what changes need to be made unless we actually read your intro and methodology. Have you got feedback from your teacher first? If so, what has he actually said?
    Hey, im doing this later on in the year and was wondering if you can do something along the lines of having people fill out questionares based on clips they listen to, obviously i wont post exactly what im thinking of doing but does this count as an investigation into attitudes on language?
    Thanks and sorry if that didnt make too much sense im still trying to formulate my idea in my head

ReputationRep:

What you need is:

Yes I have this written out, I'm just unsure if it's correct. With my first draft/idea, my teacher told me to change aspects of it however his instructions were extremely unclear and I was finding that idea very hard to investigate so I've completely started again. I've email my teacher a few days ago with my new idea (introduction and methodology included), however I've received no reply so I'm starting to panic.

I'm happy to send my intro and methodology to anyone who is able to give advice.

• TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Study Helper
    Yes I have this written out, I'm just unsure if it's correct. With my first draft/idea, my teacher told me to change aspects of it however his instructions were extremely unclear and I was finding that idea very hard to investigate so I've completely started again. I've email my teacher a few days ago with my new idea (introduction and methodology included), however I've received no reply so I'm starting to panic.

I'm happy to send my intro and methodology to anyone who is able to give advice.

Don't panic, just simply see him in class.

Sent your intro and methodology via private message and I'll give you some feedback by the end of the week.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Study Helper
    (Original post by BekahMay)
    Hey, im doing this later on in the year and was wondering if you can do something along the lines of having people fill out questionares based on clips they listen to, obviously i wont post exactly what im thinking of doing but does this count as an investigation into attitudes on language?
    Thanks and sorry if that didnt make too much sense im still trying to formulate my idea in my head
    It depends on your whole topic and if your questions fit your aims of your investigation. It is an investigative coursework, not a research task.

ReputationRep:
    It depends on your whole topic and if your questions fit your aims of your investigation. It is an investigative coursework, not a research task.
    This is going to sound like such a dumb question but what is the difference between research and investigation? Is it where research is looking at other peoples work and investigation is looking at something of your own or have i got the wrong end of the stick with this?
    Thanks

ReputationRep:

er I just wanna ask u where are u from

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Minerva Granger)
    er I just wanna ask u where are u from
    Very sorry, I'm not sure why you would ask this

• TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Study Helper
    (Original post by BekahMay)
    This is going to sound like such a dumb question but what is the difference between research and investigation? Is it where research is looking at other peoples work and investigation is looking at something of your own or have i got the wrong end of the stick with this?
    Thanks
    Investigation is when you're looking at the cause and effect of something to form a solid conclusion from your findings.

Research is when you are trying to find evidence to support or oppose your cause of argument but not necessarily draw a solid conclusion from your research as many things can be lacking; evidence, statistics, case studies etc.

You are right in terms of investigation isn't just creating your own piece of work, you're just looking into a start and finish.

Research is when you don't necessarily have to use other people's work to form a sound judgement, but it's rather looking further into something.

ReputationRep:
    Very sorry, I'm not sure why you would ask this

oops! I mean: is English YOUR MOTHER language ?

ReputationRep:
    I'm also doing this coursework, it's the analysing language one right? I'm struggling to even come up with a hypothesis/topic so you're doing better than me! Haha. But my English teacher has made us a booklet that tells us exactly how to present our findings etc and how to organise all of the work along with what should be included in each of the sections. I'd be happy to send photos of it to you if you like? Once I figure out how to do that of course (sorry, not entirely sure how I use this).

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: November 2, 2015
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.