Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi

I am studying for a MSc at Brunel Uni.

When I submit my application earlier this year, I planned to do a module in Data Warehousing and Business Intelligence. It sounded very interesting at the open day. I'm 4 weeks in, I've noticed the module has been replaced with Research Methods for next term.

Am I ok to complain? I will try to contact the course leader asap.

J

ReputationRep:
    Go for it. Doesn't sound fair.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DataNerd)
    Hi

I am studying for a MSc at Brunel Uni.

When I submit my application earlier this year, I planned to do a module in Data Warehousing and Business Intelligence. It sounded very interesting at the open day. I'm 4 weeks in, I've noticed the module has been replaced with Research Methods for next term.

Am I ok to complain? I will try to contact the course leader asap.

J
    You can complain but it probably won't do any good, sorry - there will be a 'get out clause' somewhere in the small print, saying that they cannot guarantee to deliver all of the modules in the course description. Things happen - the academic who was the expert in a particular subject leaves, a new module needs to be introduced and something has to go to make way for it, the staffing situation means that a tutor has to deliver a module for a different course and can't do both… loads of reasons. It's something that does happen for Masters courses and it's a shame that your preferred module was the one to go, but they probably won't be able to do anything as a result of your potential complaint

Edit to add - from one of Brunel's own documents:

the University will take all reasonable action to deliver courses and services in accordance with the descriptions set
    out in it

i.e. they don't guarantee to run all the modules.

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Thanks for replying. I have found out that it is still being run on 2 other MSc programs. I have not yet received a response from the course leader. I'm not sure they will allow me to take that module.

J

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Thanks for replying. I have found out that it is still being run on 2 other MSc programs. I have not yet received a response from the course leader. I'm not sure they will allow me to take that module.

J
    That sounds odd, although I know at some universities certain modules have preference for students studying particular MSc's and if they fill up with students from those then they don't admit anyone else. Is this possibly what has happened here? If not, then it sounds strange that they won't allow you to take it.

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

J
    That happened at my uni too. One 3rd year module I took in 2013/14 as a PSI student was only available to History students in 2014, I'm sure that is allowed too- as other have said unis always say they don't guarentee you can take particular modules.

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.