Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I've been all set on doing an economics degree and then pursuing a job in the finance sector but recently I've had doubts over the satisfaction of a job in finance. One degree that keeps coming up to me are engineering degrees(mechanical mainly). I'm doing Maths, Econ and Chem right now, dropped Physics at AS. I got 4 As at AS, and im predicted 3A*. If I don't get into a top uni eg UCL or warwick, should i consider taking a gap year picking up a2 physics?. Is engineering a more satisfying career than a financial one? I don't wanna see myself spending the next 60 years sat in a chair doing a boring job.

ReputationRep:
    Depends what you do in finance, a lot of it is dull but you get compensated well

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _JOKER_)
    I've been all set on doing an economics degree and then pursuing a job in the finance sector but recently I've had doubts over the satisfaction of a job in finance. One degree that keeps coming up to me are engineering degrees(mechanical mainly). I'm doing Maths, Econ and Chem right now, dropped Physics at AS. I got 4 As at AS, and im predicted 3A*. If I don't get into a top uni eg UCL or warwick, should i consider taking a gap year picking up a2 physics?. Is engineering a more satisfying career than a financial one? I don't wanna see myself spending the next 60 years sat in a chair doing a boring job.
    Im pretty much in the same position. I love engineeeing bur is boring ti be an engineer(always cad)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adeel Ali)
    Depends what you do in finance, a lot of it is dull but you get compensated well
    That is true, but i dont want to go after money and then have zero job satisfaction.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Duke Glacia)
    Im pretty much in the same position. I love engineeeing bur is boring ti be an engineer(always cad)
    Right now I feel as though most jobs out there are boring, you just have to accept it and do something.

ReputationRep:
    Do Engineering as it still leaves the finance route open. Where as if you do economics you shut off anything directly engineering related.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _JOKER_)
    Right now I feel as though most jobs out there are boring, you just have to accept it and do something.
    Exactly. I, like you are also torn between the two sectors. Good at math and don't know what to go into.
    For example being an Actuary, it seems relatively boring, however it is compensated very well. Engineering on the other hand, looks more interesting however doesn't pay as well.

ReputationRep:
    Exactly. I, like you are also torn between the two sectors. Good at math and don't know what to go into.
    For example being an Actuary, it seems relatively boring, however it is compensated very well. Engineering on the other hand, looks more interesting however doesn't pay as well.
    If I dont get into top uni for econ ill probably go for engineering
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Depends on the field of engineering, if you're looking at something niche then you'll be on 80k in 5 years

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helloworld_95)
    Depends on the field of engineering, if you're looking at something niche then you'll be on 80k in 5 years
    Niche? All the degrees are relatively broad they make it so that you have more options after graduation..?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 27, 2015
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.