Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Homework Advice - not sure where to post watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi so basically I'm pretty new to TSR and I can't figure out where to put this and this forum is the only one that will let me post so sorry if this is 100 percent wrong but any advice would be appreciated...

I am studying at GCSE level (national 5) atm and I am working on my folio pieces for english. I have been given back my discursive essay with pointers that i have no idea how to apply so if anyone has tips not on what to do exaclty just what the pointers mean that would be so great ! I'm sitting at a B grade and i would love to pull it up to and A.

I have to differ my word choice

I have to work on structuring the piece more effectivley

I'm just a bit confused - also because its for my actual exam I'm not going to put anything about my essay because i really don't want it to be found on the internet and someone to think i have plagarised it .

thankyou x

ReputationRep:
    also im not trying to get anyone to do my essay for me or anyhting i just need tips on what the pointers basically mean

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lucywhite99)
    Hi so basically I'm pretty new to TSR and I can't figure out where to put this and this forum is the only one that will let me post so sorry if this is 100 percent wrong but any advice would be appreciated...

I am studying at GCSE level (national 5) atm and I am working on my folio pieces for english. I have been given back my discursive essay with pointers that i have no idea how to apply so if anyone has tips not on what to do exaclty just what the pointers mean that would be so great ! I'm sitting at a B grade and i would love to pull it up to and A.

I'm just a bit confused - also because its for my actual exam I'm not going to put anything about my essay because i really don't want it to be found on the internet and someone to think i have plagarised it .

thankyou x
    I could help you with it - You could PM me
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/priv...ewpm&u=1986099

I have to differ my word choice - Vary your vocabulary and make use of effective verbs to emphasise a point. Could you find some appropriate and precise vocabulary?

I have to work on structuring the piece more effectivley - You need to structure your essay coherently - think about paragraphing.

If you need any help, just PM me

ReputationRep:
    differ word choice i would say just use similar terms to what you have said so you can give it more variation

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chelseafreak)
    differ word choice i would say just use similar terms to what you have said so you can give it more variation
    so just change around words a bit ?

ReputationRep:
    so just change around words a bit ?
    yeah that sort of thing.

for example i got told to do this in year 5 when i used the phase "then we did..." over and over again. i could instead say afterwards or following that etc

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chelseafreak)
    yeah that sort of thing.

for example i got told to do this in year 5 when i used the phase "then we did..." over and over again. i could instead say afterwards or following that etc
    Thankyou , im laughably bad at english and i just never seem to understand what is beeing asked of me first time !

ReputationRep:

thankyou x
    I'm not sure if the comments applied o the same thing as it did with me but, with mine, the word choice usually refers to using other words instead of show or say because it gets repetitive. It can also refer to using more appropriate words like using "alludes to" instead of "shows".

That structure part, I think, refers to structuring it in a way that you don't repeat yourself or so that you cover all the bases. It usually asks you to find a structure like PEE or WHEEL or something like that.

I hope it helps

P.S.

Sorry for the horrible grammar

ReputationRep:
    Thankyou , im laughably bad at english and i just never seem to understand what is beeing asked of me first time !
    no problem, on the structure point i guess you have written it in paragraphs?

ReputationRep:
    I just had a look at the marking scheme to. This is what you need to do to hit those grade As

♦ Attention to purposeand audience isconsistent - you are always aware of your audience using controlled and appropriate vocabulary

♦ Information showsevidence of carefulresearch, is presentedto maximise impactand is sequenced tohighlight key points - You have clearly researched some information which is sectioned "neatly" into appropriate paragraphs.

♦ Ideas/techniquesdeployed toinform/argue/discuss/persuade have a verygood degree ofobjectivity/depth/insight/persuasiveforce and are used toconvey a clear line ofthought/ appropriatestance/point of view - You maintain a point of view throughout. If it's a balanced argument, you conclude your ideas and give your opinion.

♦The features of thechosen genre aredeployed effectively - for example, if you are doing a piece to PERSUADE does it do that?

♦ Language is variedand often used tocreate particulareffects - for example, using emotive language

♦ The structure of the piece enhanced the meaning/purpose - if you are doing a persuasive piece, you could begin with a one sentence paragraph.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Firenze26)
    I'm not sure if the comments applied o the same thing as it did with me but, with mine, the word choice usually refers to using other words instead of show or say because it gets repetitive. It can also refer to using more appropriate words like using "alludes to" instead of "shows".

That structure part, I think, refers to structuring it in a way that you don't repeat yourself or so that you cover all the bases. It usually asks you to find a structure like PEE or WHEEL or something like that.

I hope it helps

P.S.

Sorry for the horrible grammar
    Thankyou ! thats really helpful x
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer

thankyou x
    Differ your word choice means that you need to use different words. So instead of saying something is "big" you could say it is large, huge, ginormous etc. If you think something is "interesting" you could also think that it is enjoyable, fascinating, or enthralling. When writing a piece of work, try not to include the same word too many times. Obviously if you're writing about a door you will need to keep using the word "door", but you can vary other things.
    Peter walked through the door. Jane walked through the door. The dog walked through the door.
    That's quite boring. The sentences are the same length and all the words are the same.
    Peter walked through the door. Jane followed afterwards. The dog ran through the door excitedly.
    It's still about a door so not very exciting, but using different words makes it sound better.

Structuring more effectively means that you need to plan better, and try to keep related points together. Don't talk about a door, then a window, then back to the door. If you type your essays this is easy as you can move paragraphs around!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by danielwinstanley)
    I just had a look at the marking scheme to. This is what you need to do to hit those grade As

♦ Attention to purposeand audience isconsistent - you are always aware of your audience using controlled and appropriate vocabulary

♦ Information showsevidence of carefulresearch, is presentedto maximise impactand is sequenced tohighlight key points - You have clearly researched some information which is sectioned "neatly" into appropriate paragraphs.

♦ Ideas/techniquesdeployed toinform/argue/discuss/persuade have a verygood degree ofobjectivity/depth/insight/persuasiveforce and are used toconvey a clear line ofthought/ appropriatestance/point of view - You maintain a point of view throughout. If it's a balanced argument, you conclude your ideas and give your opinion.

♦The features of thechosen genre aredeployed effectively - for example, if you are doing a piece to PERSUADE does it do that?

♦ Language is variedand often used tocreate particulareffects - for example, using emotive language

♦ The structure of the piece enhanced the meaning/purpose - if you are doing a persuasive piece, you could begin with a one sentence paragraph.
    thankyou thats really helpful !

ReputationRep:
    I've got a headaches just reading this

Now I need a wee-wee

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.