Turn on thread page Beta

How to ask if he's racist watch

Announcements

I started getting a crush on a guy I don't know well, I thought he seemed nice and he's a good looking guy so I'm getting to know him now.
    Added him on facebook and we've made plans to go for drinks later this week..
    However, after having a look through his facebook, I'm now a little bit concerned. A page he's liked is a bit alarming, such as "I'm white." which posts many pictures of beautiful white girls, with people commenting on them about protecting Europe from immigrants.
    In an older post, he had shared a video of a refugee claiming he does not like it here (Europe) with rain in the background, and he mentions the weather, as obviously this is not at all what they are used to.. and he wrote "Lol 'racist weather'" even though the man in the video did not mention racism. His friend then commented on it, making another alarming comment along the lines of "They'll see snow and think it's white supremacy raining down on them", giving me the impression he's against non-European people living in Europe.

This is far from my views. I'm left-wing, and I do not discriminate or judge anybody by their home country or ethnicity, nor gender, class, or sexuality.

I'm now curious; how do I ask him exactly what his views are? As the only worrying things I've seen are on facebook, not from him in person. I'll be seeing him in a few days and would like to find out as early as possible to avoid getting into anything that may cause future problems. I also do not want to come across as intrusive or turning him off by talking about politics and his opinions on issues on a 1st date.

And if he does have views that don't match with mine, is anyone else in a situation like this? Are you able to accept people raised in different ways have different views of the world, and date them accepting them as they are? Or is this something that will never go anywhere (if he does happen to be racist and/or anti-immigrant) I should add, I'm from Scotland and he's from Poland, in his 20s.

ReputationRep:
    Tell him you've found a cool new test online and get him to try the Race Implicit Association Test here: https://implicit.harvard.edu/implicit/takeatest.html

Or you could try "trolling" him with opinions you don't really have and see how he reacts. Inspiration here:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I started getting a crush on a guy I don't know well, I thought he seemed nice and he's a good looking guy so I'm getting to know him now.
    Added him on facebook and we've made plans to go for drinks later this week..
    However, after having a look through his facebook, I'm now a little bit concerned. A page he's liked is a bit alarming, such as "I'm white." which posts many pictures of beautiful white girls, with people commenting on them about protecting Europe from immigrants.
    In an older post, he had shared a video of a refugee claiming he does not like it here (Europe) with rain in the background, and he mentions the weather, as obviously this is not at all what they are used to.. and he wrote "Lol 'racist weather'" even though the man in the video did not mention racism. His friend then commented on it, making another alarming comment along the lines of "They'll see snow and think it's white supremacy raining down on them", giving me the impression he's against non-European people living in Europe.

This is far from my views. I'm left-wing, and I do not discriminate or judge anybody by their home country or ethnicity, nor gender, class, or sexuality.

I'm now curious; how do I ask him exactly what his views are? As the only worrying things I've seen are on facebook, not from him in person. I'll be seeing him in a few days and would like to find out as early as possible to avoid getting into anything that may cause future problems. I also do not want to come across as intrusive or turning him off by talking about politics and his opinions on issues on a 1st date.

And if he does have views that don't match with mine, is anyone else in a situation like this? Are you able to accept people raised in different ways have different views of the world, and date them accepting them as they are? Or is this something that will never go anywhere (if he does happen to be racist and/or anti-immigrant) I should add, I'm from Scotland and he's from Poland, in his 20s.
    What's wrong with liking a page about being white when other ethnic minorities do the exact same thing? You'll find most Polish people are proud of their skin colour and are concerned about losing their culture to migrants. Wanting to preserve your culture is not racist.

ReputationRep:
    No, I have never been in situation like yours. My advice is just to ask him directly without any circumlocutions. If he is really racist then he is very introverted person ..sorry but in my opinion, we live in 21st century where everyhing is mixed up with. I mena, okay he likes only Europeans, but in Europe live many people from different ethnicity. Furthermore, you can't judge someone for his skin colour. If that guy has problem with the people from the others races, he has problems with further things like respect and others valuable things that he obviously does not posses

Sorry, if I dissapointed you, but thats my opinion. However, give that boy a chance and Ask him what are his views about this topic.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 27, 2015
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.